Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Brianeric

We have not personally stayed in the hotel but when we were in San Pedro a few years ago at the sister hotel they were offering people the chance of a three day free transfer. The people who took up the offer either loved it or loathed it. Some called it faded elegance, others said it was out of date but no-one seemed to meet in the middle. The only thing that came through loud and clear is that it is very quiet and definitely not for children.

I am sure there are some comments on the hotel reviews which you will find useful. We passed the hotel this year on the way back from Gibraltar and it did not look too bad. We went to the Holiday Village this year which gets really mixed reviews and I have to say we had a great time. I think at the end of the day it is what you decide to make it.

The hotel is in a great location for getting out and about and I am sure you will have a great time.

Hope this helps.

Lou :lol:
Have you read our reviews HERE
Thanks Lou,

I have seen the reviews but by asking the question I am hoping to get more info. Where exactly is the 'sister hotel' and what is its name. I am hoping for some info on Algeciras itself rather than the hotel. We have managed to leave the 'kids' (23 & 16) at home and are travelling on our own.

We stayed in the Holiday Village last September, with hindsight not my favourite hotel but we are VIP members of the Sirenis group of Ibiza so thought we would give it a try.

brianeric
I can't help with the hotel but I can recommend Cadiz and Seville as days out. I think Seville is probably the nicest city I've ever visited.

It's also worth exploring up the Costa Luz coast as you'll find it totally different from the Costa del Sol.

There's a website on the area, mainly for private rentals but it does have alot of tourist info.

http://www.costa-luz-holiday.com
Hi Brianeric

The sister hotel that we stayed in was the Cortijo Blanco in San Pedro de Alcantara. We stayed here twice (first time great second time abysmal) and on both occasions they were offering transfers because the Reina Cristina was not full. From what I gather they are both poles apart in terms of style and clients. The only thing I gleaned from this hotel group is that if something is not right you have to keep on at them.

Lou :lol:
Thanks lou, thanks jan.

brianeric
I used to work in the hotel as a rep for Airtours. The hotel is partly really outdated and partly modernised. I would recommend when you arrive asking for one of the modernised rooms as the others tend to be really shabby... holes in the carpet and things. You might think they would upgrade the hotel but a LOT of visitors enjoy the ambience and don't want things changed, so the hotel are stuck either way. I would say it is quite weird when you first go into it, as though you are stuck in a time warp, but the place does grow on you. Excellent for Gibraltar, the surrounding port town of Algeceras is not that safe, quite a lot of imigrants from Africa. It isn't unsafe, but just be weary as you would back home when you are walking around as there are pick pockets. There is some lovely architecture down there worth seeing. I am quite defensive of this hotel as it does have a good warm spirit. If you have kids i wouldn't recommend it cause they will get bored, especially if it is raining... Food, ok, average for this coast. The sister hotel Cortijo Blanco, I used to work there too and it was brilliant.. Not a usual resort hotel, but definitely good fun..
Thanks sa_brown,

brianeric
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.