Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi netmaniac ... according to press reports on Saturday, the remaining aircraft in the Helios fleet are not being grounded, but they are being sent to Sweden for checks "to ease public concern".

One will be sent today (Sunday) and when it returns into service, the second one will be sent. A replacement aircraft will be chartered to fill the gap while these checks are being carried out.

More here:
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=21436&cat_id=1

David :wave
My turn for a question... Dazbo or anyone else please advise if possible aircraft type most likely to be used, is it non stop on Tuesdays (I know it sometimes stops en-route but not sure which days)

thanks

wizard
Hi Wizard

The ZU401 on a Tuesday & Thursday is Luton to Larnaca via Paphos. All other days are non-stop.

The aircraft should be one of the 737-800 Next Generation aircraft that have recently undergone and passed Flight Worthiness checks is Scandinavia.

Given the recent loss of their 737-300 and the use of chartered aircraft this may change but recent flights from Luton have all been the 800 series

HTH

D&P
:love

See Helios Airways for more info on there aircraft and services etc.
thanks boys

yes it was a new generation. service EXCELENT, flight arivals early, crew briliant , quite happy to use any time i need

wizard
Due to the amount of technical problems recently encountered with planes helios has grounded all flights for the month of November
:shock: safety first I suppose
Think Helios are being cautious, I returnrd with Excel from Larnaca last week, several people travelling with Saga were saying a helios flight was cancelled, people being kept at hotel for another night, with no time of departure given, and it had happened earlier in the week, seems Saga are going to use Helios on most flights next year, and some people said they would give Cyprus a miss because of this.
Never flown with them myself, but wasn't to impressed with the Excel flight, although the team on board were the best I'd ever come across- all really super.
Jay
have checked the Helios website along with aviation news reports and can't find anything about all Helios Nov flights being suspended......where did you read this Polar :?:

Perhaps we could all have a look at it too, I'm booked for next year with them so I would be interested to know.
the only thing i have seen is that Helios have suspended flights to and from Dublin for 6 weeks

wizard
They wrote to us as we were booked to go over to my parents on the 6th of November and their letter detailed that all flights were grounded for the month of november. As frequent users of Helios we were upset and angry that as regular customers we were not given any consideration regarding our booking. My family in Cyprus had also booked with them to return on the 20th of November and they also have been informed of no flights
Just been on helios website and it appears they are accepting booking from luton to paphos in november is it only certain planes grounded or all the fleet....
Hi,

2 years ago Helios mucked around with our flights, but like a fool I gave them a second chance.
Booked last June for 17th June to 1st July 2006, Gatwick to paphos. They cancelled our flight this morning, after having had my money for nearly 9 months.
Strange thing is they offered me Larnaca on the same date (laughable and with no transfer, even if I wanted to waste all that time and distance travelling).
So if they are going that way why cannot they drop us off, it must be a money saving exercise, not enough people on the flight going to Paphos to warrant landing there.

And I thought I was all set and ready to go, what a pain.

Fly with Helios? Never again.

Breezer
Helios Airways are ceasing to fly now and are being made into AJet by their owner Libra holidays
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/
Alpha Jet is the new name for Helios and there is a photo of there new livery here
this aircraft landed in Cyprus last week and was grounded by the Cypriot AA as the do not yet have the necessary permit from them to fly..as far i am can ascertain the Cyprus government will NOT allow the transfer to a-jet until the whole of the crash investigation and any other litigation is completed... Libra have jumped the gun

wizard
Isnt it terrible. Imagine how you would feel if you were the families of any of the deceased after that doomed august flight. It says today in the cyprus mail that realative cannot believe that helios was litteraly going to get away with murder by evolving into ajet.
It should not be allowed to happen, the planes and staff are still the same so the problems will still be there. I personally don't care how many checks are done on those planes I wouldn't get on one. The amount of times we flew with them and were literally freezing with drips falling from the roof of the plane and when we asked the cabin crew were told it was normal. Thats NOT normal
sorry polar but Helios is one of my airlines of choice when i go to Cyprus the other is eurocypria

every company has problems at times and many airlines have has craft go down over the years it's a fact that accidents will happen although we all know there is really no such thing..

brian imo
Have just flown from Teesside (oh all right then Durham/Tees Valley) to Larnaca and return with Alphajet/Helios and had no problems. The flight to Cyprus was in a very new aircraft which I believe only went into service last month. Return aircraft was slightly tatty in comparsion but well up to normal standards. Only one point, on the return flight it appeared that there were only soft drinks available, whether this was due to it being an early morning flight (or whether I fell asleep) I'm not sure. Did puchase a can of Keo on the way over. Normal airline hot meals were available and there was entertainment available (Don't ask because I didn't partake, it was something with Jennifer Anniston in on the way there and something with Orlando Bloom in on the way back).
Would have no qualms about flying with them again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.