Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Yes, don't miss Symi. Have a look at the photos and ferry timetables on

http://www.symivisitor.com
Hi Laughing Girl, Just outside the Atlantica Princess there is a toy shop and a cafe with a soft play area/ball park called Planet Zoom (they are linked) this may be of use if you want to tire out your toddler, have a coffee and stock up on better quality bucket and spade-type toys without having to pay more touristy prices. We have used it in the past and will no doubt be visiting again in October as our youngest is 17 months.

There is also a 'train' which is actually a motorised road vehicle that has carriages. We have never been on this as we have always missed the start time, so can't say what its like but it looks fun and we will be trying to catch it this time.

Symi is very pretty but it may be a bit of a stretch with a little one as the boat trip drags a bit and some of them go around the island to a monastery in the afternoon as well, by which time you will be climbing the walls! I would hire a care and go along the coast to one of the better, unspoilt beaches like Gennadi for the day. Also, its worth checking out Prassonissi at the tip of the island where the Aegean meets the med, there is a very strong wind so it always feels cool, and there are acres of sand to run about on. The restaurants are pricey here so if you stop for a meal go to Lardos village, where there are some nice little child-friendly places. If I think of anything else I'll send you a PM.

Have fun![/code]
Thanks for your help.

Ninkynonk (Ohhh, let me guess what your little one watcges!!!) thnaks for the info, its always good to hear info from someone with a LO as it makes life easier.
Its my first holiday away with him so am a little scared but we have my parents coming too so not too bad.
Do they have decent nappies over there or shall I take my own!?
Its a fair cop, perhaps I should have called myself Upsy Daisy!

I would just take a few nappies to get you through the first day or so, and some Little Swimmers. There is a make of nappies that they sell in all the minimarkets that are very similar to Huggies, and you can get Pampers in most places too but they are more expensive. If you go into Rhodes Town there is a store called Nanou, which is up a side street by the harbour near the post office and bank. This sells lots of baby stuff, or if you have a car there are quite a few big supermarkets on the road out of Rhodes town towards Faliraki. There is also a massive toy shop which is like a toysrus off of this road but I can't remember what its called, and its down some windy lanes but is well signposted. This has everything you can think of. Look for the big billboards.

I realised that I didn't answer the question about taxis - We make sure that we have a seat belt on and hold the baby really tight! Not ideal but the only alternative is carrying a car seat around with you. Most of the taxis are large german makes and seem to be in good condition so the car itself is safe, but the driver can be another matter entirely but they will be careful if there is a child in the car.

Finally, we have found that the greek hospitality, especially towards children, is unbeatable. They will go out of their way to help with your little one. Don't be surprised if they get lots of free ice cream and cake in cafes and are given sweets in shops etc. and are generally made a fuss of. We haven't experienced anything like it anywhere else on holdiay and it is part of what keeps us going back.
Oh, and for your 30th how about going for a meal in Rhodes Old Town, its a bit pricey but there are some lovely places and the Old Town is amazing.
Hello
The big toy shop you are talking about is called JUMBO. Beware they dont sell nappies. Amongst everything they sell you would think they would sell nappies but they dont. But like previous people have said there are lots of big supermarkets that sell them.
Thanks NinkyNonk (and breezeclose)

Im taking notes and will be taking them with me! Nowt like being prepared (need to get used to this parenting lark!!!)
Ill take a few nappies with me and buy more when there, thats not a problem and thanks for the hint about Rhodes Town was def going to head there at some point, might aswell make it on my birthday!
My advice :- Learn your Green cross code, there is one big main road running through this 'resort'
True of the main resort but the Atlantica Princess is off the main road, and is near Trianda.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.