France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
France is a large country & it depends on what you want, it has everything but in different areas.

Patka
I would like to discover the countryside in France, maybe in the south, it's sunny! :)
I live here and can thoroughly recommend Eastern France - Alsace!

Great countryside, mountains, vines and tasty wines, good food ..................... and near enough to Europapark in Rust (Germany) if you want a seriously scary attractions park!

You might like to explore the VENDEE (West France coast), the DORDOGNE (South West interior) and the South East interiors - the LUBERON, the DROME department and the ARDECHE.
We have been to lots of places around France

Lets see by Department 66 /11 / 34 / 13 / 83 /40 / 17 / 56 / 80 / 62 / 03 / 18 /50

Gosh I didn't realise that where we HAVE been the most is 66 and 17 until I just checked

:duh
Oh but you've missed the best - 68 and as a runner up, 67!!
Alsacienne wrote:
Oh but you've missed the best - 68 and as a runner up, 67!!

There's always next year

Mallorca next week :tup
indeed where to go in france is a good question! i have travelled france alot and still havent seen nearly as much as it has to offer!!!

it really depends on what your after... do you have children travelling with you? because disneyland is a must, although it hasnt changed in almost 15 years the rides and activities for the kids are great...

south of france offers the sunshine and glitzy life style, Nice is a must as well as san tropez and monacco...

the normady coast is normally rainy even in summer months but has beaches and country side to rival the best in the world... also if you head north of calias towards belgium youll see WW2 battlements and tranches etc....

mainland france offers much in the way of chateaux and vinyards down the normandy coast to bordeaux, these are a must!

france has anything you could want from a holiday, the best ways to see it are on push bike or by car/motorcycle... train links are brill also but true freedom is experienced in a car etc...
Dietcola

I think you will find that north of Calais and into Belgium it is World War 1 trenches and battlefields.

Normandy can also have very hot weather, I have experienced very little rain during my annual 3 weeks in June. This is where you find the World War 2 landing beaches.

Patka
hay thanks mate... the one toward belgium are very well preserved then.. also i though the somme was the WW1 battle fields and thats in normady no?
The Battlefields of the Somme are in Picardy.

Patka
We are finalising the tour for next year and we have picked out the following as places to see

Millau Bridge
so a couple of nights stop-over near there for photo's of the Worlds Highest Bridge (built in France design by a Brit :wave: )

Champagne Region
working out a couple of nights stop-over on the way to Millau to visit a couple of caves

Collioure
I HAVE to visit every time I'm near I don't know why but it so re-charges my batteries

more to work o n looking a possibly Carnac/ Picardy/ Carrcassone who knows
Hi, for what it's worth I live in the Languedoc near to Beziers and the Canal du Midi. This region has something for everyone with lovely quiet beaches, canals and rivers, cathar castles, medieval carcassonne, vineyards (and good cheap wine), mountains.... I can go on and on. And we are served well by lowcost flights.
nellycat wrote:
Hi, for what it's worth I live in the Languedoc near to Beziers and the Canal du Midi. This region has something for everyone with lovely quiet beaches, canals and rivers, cathar castles, medieval carcassonne, vineyards (and good cheap wine), mountains.... I can go on and on. And we are served well by lowcost flights.

We've visited there too many years ago when we had kids in tow so went Eurowotsits
can remember cycling from Portiragne to Agde along the canal path with all 4 kids and the youngest on his no gears mountain bike being in front ALL the way -- except for a little scrumping :rofl
yes we often cycle along the Canal, it's nice in summer as the trees give shade from the hot sun
We are going to Normandy for a few days for the D Day commemorations. Had a bit of a struggle finding accommodation but managed to get in at a Siblu site not too far from Bayeux.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.