Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I am sure you will have a great time in Son Bou. The hotels you are staying in are themed Flintstones and are directly on the beach, which has to be one of the best beaches I have ever been on. Son Bou has a small shopping centre, with various eating places and some really lovely gift shops. There are a couple of reasonably priced supermarkets, although we stock up in the one in Alaoir. We are going back to Son Bou for our 4th time in 2 weeks and we LOVE it!! Its a very easy island to drive around as well. We like Ciutadella in the evening, lovely harbour and nice restraunts.
hi thanks for your reply i feel abit more at ease now but 1 thing i forgot to ask was is it easy to get around the other parts of the island without a car as none of us drive .were not the sort of family that just stay in the 1 resort we like to get around and see the island .is there a bus service you know off etc ?and how far is it to get to the bigger parts of the island that u reccomended in your last message thanks chrissy .
Son bou is not that small. Do hire a car, it is very easy to drive the roads are very good.

You will see alot more in a car than on a bus as you can just drive and see where you end up!!!!
I'll be back for a 5th time this year and I'm fussy.
The beach is fantastic and your right next to it. Its true that its not a huge resort and I have noticed the price of meals etc has gone up a little but despite that I bet you go back and will look back on the cancellation as a bit of luck. Debgg is right, grab a car if you can. Without one you will miss the best of this great island.

Google maps will give you an idea on the size of the resort.
Driving around is very easy, everywhere is extremely well signposted. If you are there when there is a Fiesta, I thoroughly recommend the one in Es Castell. it was the best fireworks display we have EVER seen!! (Easily pleased!!)We went on a bus trip for ease of parking because it gets very busy. Buses are readily available and there are some good day trips you can book through the travel agent in Son Bou. Best palces to eat we found were Bonis, Casa Andreas (booking recommended) and the restraunt above the Club San Jaime (near Blue Slide). This is more expensive but real quality food. I am so looking forward to going back to Son Bou and as SifterSam said, you will be gladd your original holiday was cancelled!!
Menorca has a reasonable bus service if you dont want to drive.
i just got back from our fourth time in the same resort - San Jaime apartments in Son Bou. had a brilliant time.

kids entertainment in the san jaime complex has gone up a peg or two since last year - they've brought over some entertainers with experience in tenerife and majorca - so the end result is that my daughter had a fantastic time. lots of games, face painting, water polo and of course the kiddie disco.

hopefully we'll be going back for another week during the summer. and we're definitely going back again for next year.
"The hotels you are staying in are themed Flintstones "

they are the only tower blocks in the entire resort - its mostly all villas and 2 floor apartments. when you get there , go exploring west into the san jaime area. the first pool has a great kiddie disco at around 8.30 each evening.

then walk further west and you'll see "club san jaime" - its a seriously nice covered bar , with the usual tribute band line ups each night. very spacious and plenty of room for the kids to run around and enjoy themselves.

once you see the san jaime apartments , you'll want to book them for next year. honestly, its a lovely relaxed *very* family friendly area.
Hi, just got back yesterday from another fantastic holiday in Son Bou. As previous post has said, the entertainment was excellent this year, highlight being the Beijing Acrobats...fantastic!! Girls loved Fake That also!! Will try get a week in next summer again!!PS We rented a private detached villa from Bartle Holidays, absolutely superb, pool massive and not overlooked.!!Wish I was there now :cry:
just come home from son bou, we stayed in the san jaime appartments for two weeks. as previous posts have said, the prices for meals are a little higher but the food quality is well worth it. if you want to see the island without hiring a car the bus is a good option. you will need to get a bus to mahon first, then from there on. mahon is the main bus station. i would reccommend cuitadella for a trip or a day out, as it has loads more to do than mahon. the market days for mahon is on tuesday and saturday.
hope this info helps.
thanks to toy all for your info i just get abit worried abt where im going its the same every year where ever we go .i think im just abit worried that were going slightly out of season and there wont be much there to do as we dont just like being in hotel and none of us drive and will have a 11 month old with us also .i wouldnt like the idea of haveing to take a bus journey every time we want to go do something plus does any1 know if theres everything we need in the resort of son bou ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.