Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
LEFKAS
10 Posts
Hi Gail,
absolutely no problem with restaurants. They run the length of the waterfront and its traffic free at night, only a few delivery vans during the day anyway. The road through Nidri is pretty chaotic, parking is supposed to be on one side only changing on alternate days but nobody knows which days!! Definately rent a car, not busy away from Nidri and its only an hour to see the old faces in Parga. We had our 2 weeks in Tolon in July but due to this awful weather we've just booked a late deal to Cyprus for some sun in Sept. Hope you enjoy Lefkas, we did.
I haven't stayed in Nidri but visted a couple of times. There are plenty of restaurants and bars overlooking the sea and off the main road. If you hire a car, there are lots of great beaches off the west coast and little bays in the south, all well worth a visit and you can also get up into the mountains. There are plenty of boat trips from the harbour at Nidri, round the island or to neighbouring islands and of course the ferry goes acrosss to Meganissi where we spent a week. One boat trip I would highly recommend is the "sunset and stars" cruise. It sets off from Nidri just before sunset and heads for a beach on the mainland that is only accessible by boat. While the sun sets, you have a buffet meal on the beach until it is dark. Then the guide, who is a real character, starts his stories and guide to the stars, pointing out the constellations and telling the Greek myths associated with them. He is a great storyteller and it was really fascinating. Away from the street lights you have a gret view of the stars and we saw lots of shooting stars and even the international space station. A very enjoyable evening, highly recommended!

Some pictures from our trip to Lefkas:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/348861/index.html

I'll include our Meganissi trip, as this has a couple of pictures from the "sunset and stars" cruise:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/337377/index.html
Link for the "sunset and stars" excursion - prices include your meal and free wine:

http://www.uniqueexcursions.com/
I agree, the ferry trip to Meganissi is well worth while.
Maria, did you see the submerged aircraft in the harbour at Vathi. The water was cloudy when we were there but it appeared to be in one piece. I was unable to find out anything about it, maybe Darren knows?
rdv - no I didn't see that. Loved Meganissi - a lovely quiet get away from it all place. I recommend the Rose Garden taverna by the harbour in Vathi, if you do go over.
Hi rdv and Maria. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. We will definitely be going on the 'Sunset and Stars' cruise; my son will love it. Also on our list of things to do is Meganissi and Parga (we will be hiring a car). I have looked at your photos Mariah and everything looks fantastic. A friend of ours said he didn't like the look of Lefkas :think (think he was mainly referring to Nidri) but if it is half as nice as Parga, I will be very happy.
Gail, dont get the wrong idea about Nidri. Its not a Malia or a Kavos. Its a busy & buzzing small town with a lively waterfront setting well geared to families.
It sounds good to me; can't wait!!! Will let you know what we think about Nidri and Lefkas when we get back.
Hi
My favourte place in the world. I would recommend practically any of the restaurants in Micros Gialos or Sivota.... both worth a visit. Great fish restaurants.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.