General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have a number of friends that ex's take the children away every year in the school holidays - they have never had to do any letters.

If you where not married to your ex and he has not got parental responsibilty that might make a difference :shrug

Sorry not much help - good luck.
The reason is that a parent may take a child out of the country without the consent of the other. This can then give rise to problems should they not return - you do read of such cases from time to time. Without the letter then it is possible that they could be stopped at the airport and refused travel.

fwh
I have seen this question asked a few times now, and am still surprised by it. Due to the nature of our work and home commitments, either I took the children on holiday, or my husband did. We never gave it a thought as to whether either needed to carry a letter from the other. Neither of us has ever been stopped, or even asked if the other parent had given permission.
I've just taken my ywo grandchildren on holiday and they have a different

surname to me. Nobody queried this at any stage.

Helenxx
Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to write a letter of consent for their dad to take just in case.

Better to be safe than sorry.

thanks again,
samx
I recently booked a flight with Going Places, flying from Manchester and my friend asked if her grandson, who was 16 could travel with us. I said no problem but when I went to book with the airline, they told me that he needed a letter of consent from his parents to travel.

We found this strange but did as was asked and we had no problem. I know it is slightly different but they were only doing what we thought was best and so we cannot complain. I suppose they would check the signiture on the passport if signed by a parent or guardian?

good luck.
Many years ago when I got divorced amongst the paperwork were notes on what and what we could do. Joint Custody. It said as I recall that neither party could remove the children out of England, Wales & Northern Island. We could not take them to Scotland as Scottish law differred. We could also not take them abroad. It said to do so we needed written consent of the other party. The fact you may not be asked at the airport does not mean you have a right to take them. Partners have been known to take the kids to the other side of the world and not return them. Whilst the majority of people would not do this the rule is there. It is for your protection. Should someone take a child and not return the letter giving permission to take the child on holiday ( from date 1 to date 2 ) would be to your advantage in any subsequent legal proceedings to regain custody. Sad world we live in but these things do happen. I know - been there and got the T shirt.

fwh
In addition to the individual requirements of airlines or tour operators, it is important to check the entry requirements of the country you are visiting.

Single parents travelling with their own children, or adults travelling with someone else's children, may require documentary evidence of parental responsibility before being allowed into certain countries, or perhaps even before being allowed to leave certain countries.

Requirements vary worldwide and so it is important to check Foreign Office advice for the country you are travelling to (click here) as members' personal experiences of other countries may not necessarily apply to you.

David :wave
This question has reminded me of a horrible little man I had the misfortune to meet a few years ago. I had only been in contact with his wife a couple of times, as penfriends, when she asked if he could call in to see me. They both lived in New Zealand and he was over in England looking for a place to settle then when he'd found a place his wife and kids could all come over here. The two children were by the wife's first husband and because they knew he wouldn't give consent for them to go and live in England the horrible little man told me the plans were for the wife to collect the children from school and go straight to the airport and get on a plane without telling the kids where they were going because they might have told their friends or their father. Just doing a moonlight flit! I don't know if they they ever did it because he got a bit funny when my son's wouldn't let him in the house when my husband and I were out one night so he never spoke to me again, much to my relief.
I know that to travel to the Dom Rep you need to have these letters if the child is under 13 and travelling with only one parent, Mexico used to be the same but they have now changed their laws. Haven't heard that you need them for the states before, so thanks for posting, I'll have to check out what the age restrictions on the letters are for there.
Ellie
I'm a single mum and have always taken my children on holiday on my own - never had any problems, but we've only ever been to Spain and Spanish islands. We're going to Turkey next year - is there likely to be a problem there? I can't get permission from my childrens' father - he died last year.
I shouldn't think that Turkey would be a problem, as far as I know it is now only the Dom Rep, and, as posted about, the USA. Do you have a copy of their fathers death certificate? I know that the lady at the Dom Rep embassy told me that more and more countries would be bringing these letters into force as they are desperate to cut down on child abduction.
Ellie
I don't have the death certificate, his mum has it - we split up 10 years ago. Would I be able to get a copy from the registry office even though I'm not technically 'family'?
I don't know to be honest, having said that I just managed to get a copy of my step grandmothers death certificate for my family tree with no problem, it may be worth a go. I really don't think that you'll need a letter though, I wouldn't worry too much about it :D
Ellie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.