Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
No we have never been with P&O before and only ever done 1 2 nighter on the Gem
I am really looking forward to it.
I have looked at Oriana for October but they are offering free kids places but its a Anniversary cruise I cant see the 2 mixing and its putting me off slightly. Dont get me wrong I dont mind kids just not hundreds of the little angles running round a cruise ship...lol
Mandy they dont allow a lot of children you know.

I went to the Caribbean on Oceana (she is child friendly) and I can honestly say that we hardly ever saw them, and when we did they were exceptionally well behaved.

Im on the Ventura end of September - kids on that too, but Ill chance it. :wink
Kath x
It's funny, because we have 2 kids of our own age 8&9 and the thought of going away with other people's kids does'nt float my boat (excuse the pun) ;)
However, P&O only allows a quota of kids per cruise, and it's true that there is soooo much for them to do, you really do hardly see them. We actually like to spend time with our kids and not pack them off to club which ubfortunately some do, BUT we also remember that it is their vacation too, so everyone has to be flexible.
We have done 2 on Oceana and are very much looking forward to our 3rd on Ventura in June (5 monts and counting).
Also did'nt realise they were doing a mini cruise prior to the launch....that is sneaky.
Also like Kathy, am happy to wait until June .... let everyone else experience any problems (if any) :yikes
I know these 2 day shack down cruises usualy do have some sort of problem...I just hope there are not too many
after all its only 2 days how many problems can happen in 2 days :think
They are a great way to test a brand before commiting to a full cruise. I had alwasy fancied NCL before now Im not sure after 2 days freestyle I think I prefere the more formal cruis but without trying the Gem for 2 days I might have spent alot more on trying them
The Ventura is to be officially launched by Dame Helen Mirren on Wednesday April 16th 2008.
Let's hope that the champagne breaks on the first attempt !!!

Had a look yesterday at the website and some of the up to date images and videos .... she's looking great. Only another 4 months and 8 days for me until we cruise, not as though I'm counting or anything ;)
Was just checking the progress of Ventura on P&O website and found the following info :
Ventura, the largest cruise ship ever built for
Britain, will be sailing into her home port of
Southampton for the very first time on 6 April, to begin her inaugural celebrations. Fresh from the Monfalcone Shipyard in Fincantieri, Italy, Ventura will arrive at the Mayflower Cruise Terminal at approximately 11:00am to a traditional fireboat welcome.

There is an approx timeline of where you will be able to catch a glimpse from 0900 - 1100 hours that morning.
Ventura due to set sail from shipyard

P&O Cruises' £300 million superliner Ventura is due to set sail for its homeport of Southampton this weekend following its formal handover.

The 3,000-plus passenger ship is to sail from its Italian shipyard on Sunday and is due in the UK on April 6 for two weeks of launch celebrations.

Ventura will be named by Dame Helen Mirren on April 16 before embarking on its maiden cruise to the Mediterranean two days later.

The largest cruise ship built exclusively for British holidaymakers is one of a series of ship launches planned this year for the UK, including MSC Cruises' Poesia in Dover on April 5, Royal Caribbean International's Independence of the Seas in Southampton on April 30, Holland America Line's Eurodam in June in Southampton and Carnival Cruise Line's Splendor in July.

Ventura will set sail after being officially ‘handed over' to P&O Cruises by the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy.

With permission from Travelmole
Just hope it sees none of the BA Terminal fiasco!

Sue
Ventura attracting younger passengers

P&O Cruises has achieved a "breakthrough" in reducing the age profile of passengers with new ship Ventura.

Managing director Nigel Esdale revealed that the average passenger age booked on the 3,6OO-passenger ship in its first season was 44 - ten years younger than the UK cruise market in general and only three years older than Carnival UK's casual cruise brand Ocean Village.

Esdale attributed the more youthful passenger profile to families with pre-school children booking to cruise outside the school holidays, a "breakthrough" the company had been trying to achieve.

He admitted that the attraction of Noddy on board was a contributing factor to boosting interest among younger parents with toddlers.

Esdale said 45% of passengers booked on the ship this year were new to P&O Cruises and he predicted that the proportion would rise to as much as two thirds over years two and three.

He was speaking on board prior to the formal naming of £3OO million Ventura by Dame Helen Mirren, who admitted to never having been on a cruise before.

But she said she was now considering a cruise for her extended family.

Dame Helen named the ship in a spectaular James Bond-themed ceremony in Southampton last night in front of 1,500 guests.

The keel for a sister ship to Ventura is due to be laid in October in preparation for for the construction process that will see the vessel enter service in 2010.

With permission from TravelMole
Anyone seen any Ventura reviews yet.
We are off on Ventura in 2 weeks time, and I have to honestly say that I am very concerned.
We have spent £3k on this cruise for the 4 of us and the reviews are diabolical.
We have travelled with Oceana twice and I am wondering if we have made a HUGE error in booking on this new ship so early on in her voyages.
Anyone got anything nice to say !!!!
Hi, first post and our first cruise has just been booked!

I am SO excited, even though it is 18 months away - got quite a good deal on it by booking so early, we have to fly from Cardiff as some friends had already booked theirs and we want to travel together, so no option of waiting and seeing if we got it cheaper - having said that, it is so lovely to have something to look forward to.

Anyone else book when the cruises are announced?

AND we aren't taking the teenagers :wave: :cheers

Jackie
welcome to HT.

how good a deal was it if you don't mind me asking?
Of course I don't mind you asking - We were originally quoted £1545 for an inside cabin, then £1425 and eventually paid £1360 for an OD grade cabin on A deck, so whilst not the ABSOLUTE cheapest on board very affordable for us, including flights from Cardiff (from Cruise.com - who were AMAZINGLY helpful and patient) which was a fair saving. For us it was simply not worth an extra £1200 to have a balcony, as our friends have one and we will go on theirs!

It is still a lot of money - more than we usually spend on a holiday, but it is always nice to have a saving!

In a way it was a blessing our friends had already booked as I would have spent MONTHS worrying if this ship/that ship, this line/that line ... etc... would suit us best before I booked - I have been concerned at some Ventura reviews but then we are pretty easy going and it will be such a treat for us I am sure we will enjoy it.

Jackie
  • Edited by jakks360 2008-06-29 14:18:33
Don't worry about the Ventura reviews, much of what some people are saying is down to the crew getting teamwork together, and management ironing out some of the teething problems which alway occur on a new ship! Some of the rest, well many people always see their glass as being half empty, rather than full.

You have a decent deal, and the Caribbean is superb. Also, you will discover that so much of what you do and need is included in the price that the normal level of holiday spending money will reduce greatly.
Thanks - I do think there is sometimes some truth in what the Aussies call us - re the whinging (sp?) - some people do seem to go away and expect everything to be perfect and can never laugh off any problems. One of our most memorable holidays was when our tent ended up at the top of a 50' tree during a storm in France (luckily we weren't in it!) !!!!!!

Great to hear reassuring comments - I don't think there will be any worthwhile reviews until after this year, once the ship has been running for a while.

Jackie

:sun2 had to put this one in - 18 months to go!!!
Any advice on what to take to the Caribeean would be greatfully appreciated.

I have heard there are no semi-formal nights.....presumably because of the hot temperatures. Is this correct?

If this is so, do any men still wear jackets or linen suits....or is it simply trousers/shirts?

What is the 'norm' for breakfast. Once again, presumably everyone with be going to the beach after eating....so can shorts be worn in the restaurants?

Sorry we are naive! Although we have been to the Carribean a few times....we went by plane! :que
Hi first of all you will have a wonderful time, especially if you have already visited the Caribbean.

When my husband and I cruised the Caribbean he just wore a short sleeve shirt and trousers on the casual evenings. It was very warm and a lot of the entertainment was on deck so the majority of people were dressed like that. You would find some people with linen jackets.

In the mornings, my husband used to wear chinos or shorts for breakfast. I would say treat it as you would a four star hotel abroad and you will be ok. ie Dress up at night, dress down in the day, but with some dignity :wink
HTH

Kath x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.