France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We're off to Paris "en famille", with both our grown up daughters and their partners. Last time we were there we fell foul of the air traffic control dispute/ fog and ended up stranded at Beauvais. Eventually we sorted out a hire car, rushed of to Charlois in Belgium to catch the one and only flight back to Scotland. So our cheap break ended up costing a small fortune.LOL
Does anyone have an absolute favourite restaurant, as the good wife is celebrating yet another birthday while we are in Paris.
We are staying at Camping International, so will be using the train in and out of the city so something fairly central would be great. :fly
Hi KJ

You may also like to post in the Paris City Breaks topic HERE.

Pippy :D
Our family favourite (from when I was working in Paris last year during the week, with family visiting) was the Velly, 52 rue Lamartine 75009, tel 01 48 78 60 05. The real deal for food but not poncey.
Hey:

My mum and I are planning a girly weekend shopping trip in Paris in November/December, we would like some sightseeing as well.

Can anyone recomend a good hotel/location? I'm not on a great budget, but will push the boat out a little bit, as it's her xmas prezzy... but I would like some money left over to go shopping with! ;)
Thanks again
DQ
-x-
hi dramaqueen,

staying around opera would be good - a good chain is 'best western' and there's one there. its near the shops and if its shopping you want then you have to go to galleries lafayette on blvd haussmann and sephora on champs elysee for cosmetics and all sorts of girly stuff.... if you want a cheap hotel, v central then there are a few on blvd haussmann, a near galleries lafayette - try expedia and lastminute. happy shopping :D
HI, Me and my wife are going to Paris on Weds for 2 nights (just got back from Menorca on sat after a week in the sun with the kids) so we are wondering what prices we can expect to pay for food and drinks etc. We are staying at the hotel Nord et Champagne in the 10th arrondissement. We are only the a short time cos we land at CDG at 19.25 on weds evening and leave at 10.20 on fri morning so any help would be appreciated, Thanks :?
I cannot remember the exact prices from when we were there in February but expect to pay exorbitant prices for soft drinks, around about 5 euros a throw and anything from reasonable to expensive for food dependent upon where you decide to eat. Think more expensive than London Tourist prices and you will be about right. Paris is not cheap.
Went to Paris on Eurostar a couple of Saturdays ago and had lunch down a side road not far from the Eiffel Tower.

It didn't seem that bad to me, unless we just struck lucky. Two skewers of lovely tender lamb, huge portion of pommes frites, french bread, and a demi carafe of house red, about two glasses, plus carafe water, 20 euros sitting outside at a pavement cafe. Think that's about 14 pounds?

We also ate lovely sweet crepes, chocolate, jam etc from street vendors, that were about 5 or 6 euros. Enjoy. :D
can anybody recommend a nice little hotel that is in the middle of things, i ahve never been before

thanks x
My mum and aunt have both stayed at Hotel Plessis several times. It's close to the Place de la Republique and the Pompidou Centre.
thansk elaine, will check them out
Are most things open on a Sunday in Paris?

Thanks
Yes! Monday and Tuesday seem to be the closing days for museums etc. Best to check before deciding on what to visit. Certainly the bog attractions such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and The Louvre are all open on Sundays and some museums are free on certain Sundays.
Thanks Magster, i am going Saturday to Monday so was just hoping everything would be open and we are not spending a day doing nothing.
Trying to find a reasonably cheap break to Paris for 2 adults & 2 children (13 & 11) during the school Easter Hols.

- We break up on Friday 31 March and return Monday 11 April - so anything will be considered between these dates.

- Can anyone offer any advice or point me in the right direction to look for this

- Only after 2 possibly 3 nights.

- Would prefer to fly from North West airports

- Would consider Eurostar and add a couple of nights on in London if cheap

- Are there any Travelodge style hotels in the middle of Paris that sleep families?

Thanking all respondees in anticipation - Cheers
John
Sorry don't know where those dates came from - we break up on 30 March and return on 16 April
Cheers
John
Probably worth looking at Ibis hotels, Timhotels, Etap hotels and similar chains like Novotel (a bit pricier but will take 4 to a room). No F1 in central Paris unfortunately.

Flying from the NW - check Easyjet from Liverpool for a start ...

Paris ISN'T cheap! Investigate multiple journey passes for buses and metro! Do go up the Montparnasse Tower as well as the more usual ones! Even McD's on the Champs Elysees is pricey and it's hell to get the key to the toilets!

All the very best - incidentally if you decide to use Eurostar, there are Ibis hotels near the Gares de l'Est and du Nord. Also try Comforthotels chain.
Hi John,
Have you considered booking an apartment? There are loads on the internet and I think offer a better option. You get more room, the comfort of easy chairs/sofas/facilities for making snacks & coffees if you want and so far any we have used have worked out far cheaper than hotels.
Unless you can afford a lot I find that most hotels are a let down. I prefer a nice apartment, don't cook(I'm on holidays!!) & eat out for breakfast.
My son in law is taking daughter to Paris for a quick visit.....arriving Thurs evening and leaving Sat lunch time. Neither have been there before so any suggestions as to what to see and where to go would be appreciated. They are staying near St Germaine and Notre Dame.
Many thanks in advance. :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.