France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Do visit the zoo - no I'm not being flippant, it's very good!
Well I've not been to the zoo though been told how good it is

Royan and it's neighbour Saint George de Bidonnet are like chalk and cheese
St George where we have visited is so laid back with a huge beach and nice restaurants
Royan is more cosmopolitan and busy with it's marina

lots to do in the area

You've GOT to taste Pinau you will be a convert
a vist to Talmont-sur-Gironde to see the church if you like monastic places
you're 30 miles from Oleron
70 from Isle de Re / La Rochelle
40 mile from Blaye and it's Castle and Sunday Marketa short ferry ride to Le Verdon-sur-Mer and Medoc

and more

some pictures here
For those who are uninitiated, Pineau de Charentes is a sweet fortified wine rather like a sherry that exists in white and red versions. Must be served chilled, and it's REALLY GOOD! Worth taking home as you won't find it in the UK except in really exceptional wine shops.
For those who are uninitiated, Pineau de Charentes is a sweet fortified wine rather like a sherry that exists in white and red versions. Must be served chilled, and it's REALLY GOOD! Worth taking home as you won't find it in the UK except in really exceptional wine shops.

Don't forget the Rosé version too

In MY opinion it is much nicer than Sherry as it doesn't carry so much tannin with it

agree to the chilled bit my friend San(dra) ALWAYS has a bottle or two in the fridge in the bar where I fish
(yes the sites lake is 10 foot away from the bar :lol: ) the pictures I linked to above are where she is

editted to correct a freudian slip 24/2/08
Royan itself is really busy. Look at the comments for Palais sur mer in the forum. Some excellent places within striking distance. :sun2
Whilst trying new tipples, I tried Amaretto in Vendee last year and fell in love, beautiful after dinner liquer.
As above - the Zoo is a must.

Went there a couple of weeks ago, just hubby & I, and couldn't believe that I spent over 6 hours in a zoo considering we had no kids in tow and I'm not really an 'animal' person. I went because hubby wanted to go...

Was probably the best £20 (ish) spent in the whole holiday. (€14 each)

The website says to allow 4 hours but given the fact that there are also shows to take into account - sea lions & parrots which are both at least 30 mins in length, I would aim to arrive no later than noon if you want to comfortably see everything and allow time to eat.

There is ample parking, well shaded, which is well signposted although lots of people try and park and the road.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.