Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
PR is a great place to holiday if you like that sort of thing. I know of people who have holidayed there and have enjoyed it greatly.
I do not like PR. it is not my scene at all..and I find the place distasteful and tacky. In my earlier posts, I did say there are some nice area's of PR..such as the harbour area..but generally, I prefer somewhere a little quieter.

Equally, i do not like places like LC and PDLA in Tenerife as I find them tacky also. I know each place is popular with millions of people each year..but I choose to go elsewhere in Tenerife.

I believe the subject topic was is PR tacky. The opinion of the majority of people that have posted is that it is. Those that disagree are just as entitled to post their opinions. I wasn't aware
I think that people who perhaps regard themselves as too good or above all that
that we were going to get to the stage where personal insults/comments were going to become part of the debate.

that people enjoy as tacky your are in effect defining these people as tacky.

That is not the case at all. If people like those things then fine..that is their choice. We all pay good money for a holiday, therefore we should enjoy what we get. I choose to enjoy my holiday elsewhere in GC. That does not make me a snob, nor am I calling anyone else tacky for liking PR..I just don't like it myself.
Judith
I visited PR a couple of years ago when staying in Taurito during our first visit to GC, we had a walk round the place then walked to Amadores and back and breathed a sigh of relief that we hadn't chosen to stay in PR. We thought it was tacky in the extreme. Amadores was OK but PR was awful.

sorry JUDITH but "my" reading off your post makes it sound a very snobbish post.
all types of people go to PUERTO RICO and enjoy it (and go back numerous times), are you saying they are looking for something tacky in the extreme.
others think Amadores and the beach is beautiful but you say ok, (that sounds ominous)what was the problem with it !
myself i like PR more than Amadores but i don't down peoples choices by saying "tacky in the extreme".
Guys..settle down here.

This is supposed to be a general debate without resorting to slagging off other people or the choices they make or the wording of their posts.

Let's all lighten up here and try to remember that we are all adults.

Once again, I believe the topic is "is PR really that tacky?"

Those who have posted that they believe it is are entitled to say so and give their reasons why...equally those posting in defence of PR are entitled to say so and give their reasons why. Lets not shout each other down or call each other names. This is not a school playground.
I can't ever remember being called a snob before, so this is a new rather amusing experience. But if posters can't take part in a debate without resorting to name calling they really shouldn't be using the board. I answered the question 'Is Puerto Rico that tacky' by giving my opinion, I am not aware that I made any comment or gave any opinion about the people who holiday there and as to being questioned as to why I thought Amadores was OK and didn't say it was beautiful well all I can say is lighten up folks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
OK, keep it friendly and desist from the personal comments. The topic is about the resort, not the people who choose to holiday there. Any more and this topic will be locked.

luci :wave
it has got a little out of hand hasnt it!! :que

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i was only trying to illustrate that ALL holiday resorts are subject to market forces and that force is the holiday maker.

Isnt it curious that the majority of the most popular tourist resorts frequented by British holiday makers are all very similar to each other in this supposed tackiness... :tup

Anyway, no one ever said that we would all like the same thing. Taurito would drive me insane, Mogan too fake, PDI too much. And as goldilocks might say PR is just right (for me anyway!) :cheers
i and 16 of my friends ranging in age from 30 to72 have just returned from a week at pr. we had a great time but most of us said they would never return there. we booked diy and only paid £60 for our accomodation but it was up 200 steps and very very dated we found much of the comercial centre old fashioned and all felt it could do with a revamp. saying that we did have some lovely meals and had some good nights out but there wasnt much to choose from,mainly shamrocks and a very loud harleys.we have all decided to give spain a miss and try something different next year so have booked to go to tunisia all inc for the same price as we paid this year s/c
Nuttynet..with all due respect..you get what you pay for and £60 is megga cheap. Most accomodation in PR is so high up in the hills that the beach is a 3 day trek by donkey :rofl

Still glad you had a good time.
well we knew that when we booked it it wasnt the accomodation that was the problem it was the very out of date comercial centre and lack of places to go for the age group. as i said we did have a good time but would never return
never been to blackpool but if it is as half as tacky as PR i will not be going.
hope you like egg and chips. go to mogan and stay there!!!
Egg and Chips? Well ive been to PR loads of times as well as many other places and personally we love PR and have never eaten egg and chips there!
But we have had some class meals in places like bistro Frere and Brassero or ciao ciao on amadores.
Like everywhere else there is something for everyone if you want to eat chinese all you can eat for 5euros you can or like us if you prefer a better quality meal (in my opinion ) there is plenty of choice for everyone!
Its not all about cheap and cheerful its about choices and there are plenty of types of accomodation, bars and restaurants for everyone and many types of people.
Just got back yesterday from our first visit to Gran Canaria staying in Puerto Rico and have to say that after reading this forum topic prior to going, I was relieved to discover that in reality PR was a much nicer and far less tacky resort than some of the comments on this forum led me to believe. I really should have known better because as with many reviews, the strongest comments can all too often be subjective hyperbole.

While I can only think that the PR commercial centre architect must have had a surplus of concrete to use up and had been inspired by London's Barbican centre when he created his designs, it serves a purpose for many people and what we actually found was that PR was a good family resort with a very pleasant marina, harbour and beach area and a good resort choice for anyone who prefers a little life to where they are staying.

P.S. The excellent Terrazamar Sunsuite apartments are also in Puerto Rico so that's something else it has going for it :cheers

Rob
I love Gran Canaria and have been several times ( 20+). I dont like PDI, its too spread out and I think that there is tack everywhere you go. Yes there is "tack" in PR too but hasn't every resort?!!
We stayed in La Isla Bonita apartments in PR and paid £120 for 9 nights for 2 people. Now they were great for the money. I have learnt that I MUST book accomadation with A/C though after the Sirroco that we had whilst we over a few weeks ago and it was v.hot 1st week in Nov 07.
I dont really care about a "posh" hotel. As long as its clean thats all I care about.
I would rather get mega cheap deals and be able to holiday 4/5 times a year, even if the resorts are deemed by some as tacky.

We visited the "Fat cats" cafe on the beach at PR. Great cherry crumble and ice cream for very cheap!! The waitress told us that buisness in PR is very quiet at the mo and that they are very worried that they might have to close after 18 years of being open. She said that GC is just regarded as "yet another Canary Island" and that tourists are not visiting as much as they did 6/7 years ago.
For those of us who don't mind a good old British cafe-get yourself down there and try their food as its fantastic! Tell her that I am still waiting for her email so I can help her find some cheap flights!!
Just read this thread and I'm slightly put off now.....was thinking of booking
Gloria Palace Amadores hotel.......
When you say it's tacky what other spanish resorts would you compare it with
Benidorm,Magaluf,Torremolinos,Playa de Las Americas or is it something else ?
I have been to PR loads of times and I say its what you make it. Go and decide for yourself ;)

What is a nice holiday resort for one place could well be somebody elses idea of a hell hole!!!
Well I personally like all of the named places in my last post so if it's anything like any of those I'll be there in a flash
Well that was a twist Tangobunny - I'd assumed you were slightly put off because PR might be like the resorts you mentioned. ;) It's only my opinion but you may prefer Playa del Ingles to Puerto Rico.
hi Tangobunny
Just read this thread and I'm slightly put off now.....was thinking of booking
Gloria Palace Amadores hotel.......

my mates just back from his third time in the "Gloria Palace Amadores hotel" and thinks is superb.

my honest opinion is you will like PUERTO RICO, AMADORES AND TRIPS TO MOGAN plus walks to Arguineguín. :) :)
the hotel had fab reviews and I'm really tempted to book it as for a half board deal it's very reasonable
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.