Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Sounds a bit iffy if you ask me.

Don't want to jump the gun but maybe they are asking for big deposits to bring in extra cashflow !!!

or

maybe they are using low cost airlines such as easyjet who would need the full payment for the flights
This was flying with Air Malta - I also tried the option using BA but the deposit was the same. If they are struggling then they are not helping themselves by demanding such a high deposit in these difficult times.

Pippa
Actually not iffy AT ALL.

If the flights are with Air Malta and the offer is what they call a "dynamic" package (like a DIY with flights, acomm, transfer seperately) the airline will ask for full payment from the company you are making a reservation with at time of booking. The flight tickets booked will be. more than likely, none changeable, non refundable basic fares. If the company let you book with a smaller deposit and you cancelled they would be liable for the balance of the flights. If you want someone to moan at about this you should look to the airline.

If you are in a position to make the full deposit payment you can use this to your advantage. Many dypac companies charge a booking fee (usually £10-20pp) on scheduled and low cost flights, so you can take their lead on the flights, go direct to the airline and book them yourself and then go back to the supplier for the acomm and transfer. Of course, this will mean you paying with a credit card to get your protection, but this is the risk taken when one chooses to book a dynamic package or DIY over a traditional package holiday.

Hope this helps.
We don't normally do 'package' holidays - preferring booking the hotel and the flights seperately. I was under the impression that Mercury and Chevron did normal package holidays but clearly this is probably not the case anymore.

I think we will stick with booking seperately. I know the flights have to be paid upfront but it is possible to be able to book a hotel with either just a small deposit or pay on arrival at the hotel.

I usually do pay by credit card if over £100 even if it means paying a little extra for the peace of mind.

Pippa
I usually do pay by credit card if over £100 even if it means paying a little extra for the peace of mind.

In theory there is no reason why you cannot pay £100 by credit card and the balance by other means - providing they will accept it.

If they are charging 2% for CC and nothing for debit then it makes sense paying that way. Obviously depends on how much you are paying.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.