General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Pakistan?!
11 Posts
Well I guess the reason is that not too many people go to Pakistan these days on holiday. The Foreign Office is advising against travel to many areas in the country. I realise that UK citizens with a Pakistan background still visit the country but I would imagine mostly to see relatives. I would think that tourism to the country is very limited at the present time.
from what i have read in the newspapers over the past few years, british people going on holiday to certain parts of pakistan have been getting free transfers to guantanamo bay.
maybe not the first choice of uk holidaymakers in the current circumstances.

i can only suggest that you try to google "holidays in pakistan".
good luck, and if you do get a free transfer please report back.
I am not sure about holidays to Pakistan, but Donny airport did provide flights to Pakistan quite regularly as there is a large Pakistani community in Yorkshire.
Courtneelouise,
may I be so bold as to ask you why you'd want to go on holiday to Pakisatan? :que
I can't speak for Courtneelouise but I certainly considered a holiday in Pakistan for the following reasons:

To go trekking/mountaineering in the Karakorum Mountains?

To go canoing in the amazing glacial-fed rivers

To view the incredible scenery

To go and visit friends and friends' families

To re-trace the past exploits of ancestors who fought in the Hindu Kush wars

To visit the original settings for 'Kim' and other books by Rudyard Kipling

To volunteer for or visit a friend volunteering at one of the numerous aid charities that operate there

To learn more about the historic architecture

Not that long ago there was the possiblity of me doing some joint work with a women's university in Islamabad and when I looked into it all of the above reasons convinced me that it would be worth arranging to stay on and see more of the country. In particular, friends who had trekked and climbed in the Karakorum and Ladakh areas raved about it. Unfortunately, the British council didn't come up with the financial support for the proposed project and so I never went. Since then the security situation has changed, as has, I suspect, the view of the British authorities on those who do visit Pakistan but I still wouldn't rule it out without serious consideration if a similar opportunity arose again.

SM
wouldn't it best to contact university in Islamabad seen as you want to get involved in some sort of support work with them as you stated, may be they can give better advice on the current situation on where in the country is best for your needs and wants and also your safety
Hi little legs,

I think I've confused the issue here! I'm not the one who started the thread and apologise if I've muddied the waters but I was just commenting, in response to shirley h's question, why a couple of years ago I had seriously considered combining a holiday in Pakistan with a trip for work. And if the University in Islamabad does approach me again with a request for some other joint research then I would review it and decide in the light of current circumstances whether it would be appropriate to a) go in the first place and b) tack a holiday on at the end and see some more of the country. I have no idea why courtneylouise is currently looking for information on Pakistan but it has been a holiday destination in the past and still is for some - most years UK climbers do go on expeditions to the Karakoram mountains because K2, as the second highest mountain in the world, is still a big draw and there are numerous lesser peaks that are within the reach of amateurs.

SM
sorry yes, its me i'm getting to old i need some more specs :tup
Suppose if there were anything on here it would be in the 'Other Destinations' forum, if there isn't anything you could start your own thread others may be able to contribute.
I'm very sorry about this cufuffle! And that i haven't replied in so long, kind of lost the thread :que

My daughter's boyfriend/fiance lives in Lahore in Pakistan and i was just interested in going there as i wouldn't let her travel there alone. They'll be getting married in Pakistan so i wanted to explore what was around and the different culture to ours.

@SM.. you are totally right, there are many things to experience in PK & one day I will go there...
Thanks for the info people, really appreciate it :)

CourtneeLouise xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.