Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: on the beach
108 Posts
if you have worries then also try A1 travel and Fleetway travel they have a better reputation but even then screen prices are not always live but phone bookings are usually the same price as web bookings
When we went with OTB we made the mistake of booking extras after we had made the booking if you are booking make sure you include all extra's pre booked seats meals increase in luggage allowance transfers etc as these come out very expensive when added on.besides this we had no problem with them we flew with Thomas Cooke to Sousse in Tunisia We would use them again.
Geovil
Hi

i've used Onthe beach before and looking for a holiday later this year. They are currently advertising flights in OCtober with EasyJet from Liverpool. I have checked Easyjet's site and the flights have not yet been released. Do OTB have pre-confirmation of the routes that easyjet will be running or is it an assumption of the routes that will be operating? If the latter, where would I stand if I made the booking and easy jet then pulled the route?

FInally when you do an online booking using a 'no frills' airline it says that you can add the baggage charges during confirmation - I have gone all the way up to putting my credit card details in and have not been presented the option of baggage. With 'no frills' is baggage added as a post-booking amendment or is there an extra screen during the checkout process?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

Mark
I read a similar problem on here this morning and realised that the same thing has happend to me. I booked Fuerteventura for 22nd March 2010 to 29th March 2010. The search gave me a different result each time I went in. The third time I booked the Holiday as it seemd to drop in price by about £50 for the two of us. We can't really afford a holiday but the prices for this time of year were so good. We've been to Fuerteventura with OTBeach before and loved it.

Now this may well be my own fault but when I read the dates again on the confirmation a week later (afer booking trains,transfers, return hotels etc) the dates were wrong. I'd booked 22nd February not 22nd March. So I sent off an e-mail to change the dates beliveing this would be pretty straighforward a process and happy to pay the £80 admin charge for what I believed to be my own stupid mistake. I waited a week to recieve a reply and rang them. They were very helpful as always and told me that I would be receiving an e-mail confirming the change. I did the following day (Saturday) I could change the Holiday for £240!!! Now this is a very basic holiday and with a budget airline. So accepting the booking charge and the increased airfare they have effectively DOUBLED the price of our accomodation for the week.

I have e-mailed them explaining that obviously if I cancel I will loose the whole £408 already paid so they have me over a Barrel. I can accept some charge but there's no way Fuerteventura is fully booked this time of year and a simple change to accomodation dates doesn't cost £140.

I am awaiting their response but they've only given me 3 days to decide which I dont' get. Presumably after that the holiday will be re-costed again. I await their response aftert he weekend. with a day to make my decision
I have recently lost my holiday due to the collapse of Goldtrail, i have recieved my flight money back but not my hotel money. On The Beach did not inform me at anytime this was my responsibility or offer me alternate flights, they said they are keeping my money as administration fees and the hotel has kept my money. I am so frustrated that i have paid for a service in good faith that i never recieved. Does anyone know any way i can appeal to get my money back?

P.S. I will never buy a holiday on-line again, and certainly not with On The Beach!
This is often a problem when booking a component holiday. In this case, OTB, have no requirement to refund all your payment as it was not linked in any way to your flights. Their terms and conditions quite clearly state that they do not sell package holidays and that a cancelled hotel within 3 months of travel incurs a £150 charge plus whatever the principal (hotel) charges. Outside of 3 months it is £30 per person plus principal charges.
I don't know which of those is applicable in your case.
When not booking a package holiday you really do need the appropriate insurance cover.
Goldtrail collapsed ages ago, is this a holiday that should have been taken recently?

Sunaddict is correct but I'll add a bit.

When the Goldtral flight was lost there was nothing to stop you booking another one to use the hotel. OTB don't have to do it for you automatically but they could have helped (and should have suggested it). Possibly it would have been dearer than the original but better than losing the holiday and hotel money. You may have had to pay for it before you got the refund of the Goldtrail flight.

Can OTB actually prove that the hotel has the money? If they are blaming the hotel then you need to know the hotel's own cancellation policy. If the booking was for months after the Goldtrail collapse there may have been a chance to get some money back (assuming it had been paid to them) and I'd say OTB would be liable for any loss if they failed to tell you that.

This sort of non-package is not a good idea, either get a proper package or do proper DIY. And always make sure the insurance is right.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.