Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Steve,

thanks for your thoughts and info.

They have printed boarding passes for outbound and return and I have just checked the 'view booking' and the fligths show the return on Saturday 29 October as do their boarding passes.

Will see what happens over the next couple of days.

As mentioned when this happened to us earlier this year we went to the Ryanair desk at TFS and all they said was 'oh, you better phone Ryanair helpline'. Phoned Ryanair Cust Svs and they said while the flight we had booked to come back ie VLC-TFS on Monday was not shown it was still happening because they havent been told it wasnt !

The next day we got a Ryanair Schedule Change email telling us the Monday flight was cancelled and we were shunted onto the new 'Tuesday' flight.

We will be keeping an eye on the inbox !

Regards Chris
If Sunday isn't convenient I wouldn't wait - get your retaliation in first. See who else could get them back on Saturday and ask Ryanair to arrange it under the EC261 rules. Do not hold breath whilst waiting for reply!
steve,

arranging flights to come back at the end of the schools halfterm holiday will be fun !

Chris
Does anyone know when Ryanair are going to release their dates for December & January flights, from Birmingham to Murcia please? I keep looking on-line but no schedule for those dates at this time. I thought they released these dates early October?
Grateful for any help/advice please. I have already looked on their site but no info.

Thanks,
Chrisx
chrisx,

I suspect this is one of the many many routes Ryanair stop over the winter break ie end around October and thern restart March/April time. Typically many the planes that fly these routes during the busy summer period are redirected to the Canaries for the winter flights. We have similar problems with this from East Midlands to Vanencia which also stops over winter.

Maybe you should be looking at Birmingham to Alicate and drive down to Murcia - not too far, have done it a few years ago and the road network out of Alicante Airport must be better than it was !.

Regards Chris
Hi, I have just tried searching on Ryanair's website for the hand luggage weight, but had no luck. I seem to remember from a couple of years ago it was 10kg and only 1 bag per person. Does this include duty free?

Thanks

p.s Am I imagining it or does Ryanair have better hand luggage dimensions than Thomascook?
Thanks Chris,
Ryanair do usually do winter flights to & from Murcia,but I have not used that route for 2years so they may have stopped it then.
I did want to fly in to Almeria airport because that is nearer to where we stay but they don't fly from Birmingham to Almeria during winter, which is why I have had to choose Murcia in the past.
We don't drive but arrange for someone to pick us up, from Murcia is a long drive, but from Alicante it is too long a drive, my husband is disabled & it would be too much for him.
Thank you Chris for your reply. Looks like we will be staying in B,ham then this year.(Brrrr)

Regards
Chrisx
Hi Chris :tup

There have been a huge amount of flights / destinations dropped for both this Winter and even next Summer, all airltines are dropping flights and routes, Ryanair is grounding 80 aircraft for the Winter which is almost one third of their fleet.

Graham
Yummymummy the hand baggage weight is 10 KG. You are allowed one piece of hand baggage. Duty-free items must be able to fit into this bag.

I know that there are some airports where there are signs saying you can take an additional bag of duty-free purchases in addition to this .... but Ryanair's terms and conditions, which you agree to when you book via the internet, state ONE bag only.

And they were weighing and measuring hand baggage at the gate when I came to the UK two weekend's ago, both outward from FKB and return from STN.
Thankyou Alsacienne :)
Also this may be a silly question, but as I have never flown with just hand luggage, am I right in thinking that we just check in online, print our boarding passes (done this last year), then head to security (as we've no luggage to hand in) ?
yummymummy,

correct re checkin/print passes/head for security.

Not sure what airport you are flying from but as has been previously mentioned you now have to opportunity to take one extra bag, importantly it has to be purchased airside, in addition to your one piece of hand luggage from selected arports.

I did this a couple of weeks ago from East Midlands (Boots meal deal !) and friends did this from Bournemouth without a problem. At East Midlands their advertising made a point of 'yes even on Ryanair flights !'.

If anyone has had a problem with this 'extra bag' option from the selected airports perhaps they will tell us their story.

Regards Chris

UPDATE - just seen your post on the Stansted thread and that you are flying from their, so taking anything other that 10kg in a correctly sized case is a no-no. Maybe you have big / deep pockets in a jacket etc to carry small heavier items rather than place them in you case.

Earlier this year I had no option but to fly from Stansted and talking to the guy who was going to board us he told me, how true it is I dont know, but the target is to get 2 oversized cases for each Ryanair flight and get the extra revenue.
but the target is to get 2 oversized cases for each Ryanair flight and get the extra revenue

You know that wouldn't surprise me in the least, as I watched a African gentleman and his wife get pulled up very sharply for bagpacks - small day sacks - that bowed out in the middle so appeared to be over one of the handbaggage dimensions. This escalated into quite a noisy argument, but I never got to hear the end as I was 'processed' and disappeared into the black hole via the escalator ready to queue up on the tarmac. This was at Stansted.
When I was at Stansted waiting for a Ryanair flight several people were having to pay extra for large bags. After giving them £40 they then were allowed to take the oversize/weight cases onto the plane. A stewardess/waitress moved my small case and told me to put it in front of me so that the large cases could go in the bins.
Would it be possible for planes to have a luggage area, say under the seating area, so that people could board the plane a little easier and quicker?

There was more legroom on the Ryanair plane than the ex First Choice 757 I flew with in June.
Thanks TFS1. Yes we will both be wearing our coats as we are travelling down via train and staying overnight in a hotel, so will make sure I put my empty handbag in my hand luggage bag and just keep my loose money/passports in pockets of our coats.

I wonder why other airports allow you to have an additional bag thats purchased airside, and at Stansted you can't :que
yummymummy,

good question. Of course its all down to money - arent most things !

I suspect that a lot of the regional airports shopping outlets need the custom/money to make it worth their while to stay at the airport and if they didnt get these type of help/inducements to keep going they will pull out of the airport. Sounds like they have been planning their strategy by speaking to Michael O'leary !!!

Airports with empty outlets mean lost rent and revenue and they would have to make up the difference from somewhere, the airlines seem an obvious chioce and with increased fees they would either stop flying from those airports or increase their charges.

Giving this little benefit to customers mean that we keep the outlets going and airlines flying from those airports give a little in allowing passenger to take unboard a airside purchased small bag of food etc.

I presume someone somewhere is analysing what the benefit is to those airports offering this facility and impact on the airlines, airport, outlets etc.

Why don't they do it at Stansted - I guess its because they dont have too, they have so many passengers they dont need to offer this type of benefit.

Regards, Chris
Thanks for the information Graham, can't think of another way around this problem getting there now.
It looks like I will have to see if my husband is up to the journey from Alicante to Mojocar, where we planned on staying, (3hrs car drive) & to see if the people who were going to pick us up are willing to do so from Alicante.
Thank you for your help though Graham its better knowing rather than keep going online to check ryanair updates.

Regards Chrisx
TFS1 - I imagined Stansted airport to be similar to Liverpool (size), and would have thought it would have been these airports who would be allowing the 1 extra duty free bag. I can imagine why the likes of Manchester airport might not do this, because as you said busy airports don't need to do they.
Stansted is much bigger than Liverpool. It's as busy as Manchester but has a very odd layout with one big terminal building and one medium sized security section, one big food court and shopping section, and then passengers are sent out to isolated departure lounges on an automatic metro.

Another reason why it could vary between airports is the mix of passengers, Liverpool will be majority of British going out, Stansted could be 50/50 with foreign tourists going home - and they might do a lot of last minute shopping using up sterling that will be no use to them at home, which means much more pressure on overhead locker space than a Liverpool flight. The number of bags a passenger fills up airside isn't really an issue to the airport since the security checks only have to be done on the bag brought in from outside.
yummymummy,

In 2010 Stansted carried approx 18.5m passengers, a fraction more than Manchester and Liverpool carried 5m. Stansted ranks number 3 (in the UK airport list) in the number of people it has through its doors in 2010.

However, Stansted is 1.5m dowm on the previous year, perhaps they should let everyone take on an extra bag free !

Stansted is a big airport !

Chris

ps Steve makes an interesting and valid point re passenger profile between the airports.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.