Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Canadian affair
9 Posts
I don't want to put you off - but we had rather mixed views of them after we used them last year to fly to Calgary. The journey out was great - premium cabin, comfortable and on time - the one back was delayed overnight. See the following thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=29&tid=34673621

The Thomas Cook flights they use are better than the MyTravel ones. I never did get any compensation from them for our delayed flight. I may just have been unlucky, I hope all goes well for your trip.

Canada (the Rockies) was fantastic!
Oh er...........!

Just read that link! Not good.

I do know someone who went to canada last year with them and had no problems whatsoever. I just hope we don't!
Hi Sarah

To be fair, our flight out was really good - people tend to be more vocal when something goes wrong, not the 99% time it goes well.

Good luck! Maria
We have flown with them to Toronto and had a great flight. Comfy seats with plenty of leg room. Would definately travel with them again.
I'm put off using Canadian Affair and Im hoping Thomas Cooks charter flights to Calgary are reliable.

Im not booking yet but I am aiming to be in Calgary for the middle of Aug to the first week in Sept.

Thomas Cook is coming up as the cheapest for me at that time and its a big saving compared to sheduled airlines.
The Thomas Cook flights are the same ones used by Canadian Affair - and definately better than the MyTravel flights. We chose the premium cabin and the flight going out was great and well worth the extra - loads of leg room, free drinks, extra luggage allowance, etc.

Where are you planning to go from Calgary? We went to Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff, along the Icefields Parkway and back - it really was fantastic.
Canadian Affair are travel agents operating out of the UK and Canada who use Thomas Cook and Air Transat for flights between the UK and Canada. They have attracted a number of comments on various sites about the unhelpful nature of their staff (not universal but for example they get an overall negative on TripAdvisor). They do seem particularly guilty of turning their backs when one of their customers has a problem with a flight booked via CA.

I have just got my contract for a booking I made with them, which has not been trouble free, and comparing their terms to EU regulations on delayed, cancelled or overbooked flights, it looks as though some of these fall short of the EU rules in this area. I will post more when I have studied further.

Honeyrose
I hate to complain about a company, as you've just booked with them but our overall impressions of Canadia Affair was rather mixed. We used them in summer 2005 and got a good price on flights from Manchester to Calgary and also booked our car hire through them. We also paid the extra to upgrade to the premium cabin. It was great on the way out - the (thomas Cook) flight was on time, roomy and great service and the car hire fine - but the return flight (which started out at Vancouver, with a pickup for us at Calgary) had a problem in Vancouver. To cut a long story short, they ended up combining 2 flights, so not only was there a delay until the next morning, we also lost our seats in the premium cabin. They did at least give us a hotel room at the airport hotel (I believe the Vancouver passengers slept on the airport floor) but we got back home and to work a day late. Though we did eventually get the extra we paid for the premium cabin refunded, customer services department were not very helpful at the time. The staff at Calgary airport however, were very helpful, so as you can see, we have rather mixed feelings about the company.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.