Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Jellyfish
15 Posts
your right 60 million have been reported, my little boy cault 6 yesterday, but they have boats going up along the beaches catching them.
crystal xx
We were last week and didnt see one unless they were on their way
Nasty one this, Julie told me earlier (she gets news updates) about it. There is a place (Broad Haven) near my place of birth (Haverfordwest) where they get a jellyfish problem, fortunately, they are usually dead, although my little girl hated them (little girl being 29 in a couple of weeks :D ). They can give a nasty sting though, and can even put you in hospital.

Here is a question to cheer things up a little. What were jellyfish called before jelly was invented! :D
The Jellyfish is a common name for biologists, but the real name for a Jellyfish is a Medusa.

:?
Sorry, not being a smartarse..... my good friend Jeeves told me!

:lol:
Hey all

When going on the boat trip to Benidorm Island, you can see loads of jellyfish in the water - that was one the of the most vivid things about the trip! I first went on the trip in May 2005 and remember seeing masses of them - I really didn't like the thought of jumping into that water - not that I would have done that anyway!

Gill :)
Blooming marvellous. Only this year I have plucked up the courage to go further than my ankles in the sea water because I hated the thought of any wee fish, lol, and now we are being invaded by jellyfish! :!:

Mary.
Mary, on the Levante beach there are more fish in the water at ankle depth than there are further out. The fish only live on the rocky shelves close in. When you walk around you break off little pieces of weed and barnacles with your feet and the fish gather round to eat the pieces. They aren't the least bit interested in nibbling your toes! When you get to about waist depth the rocks end and from then on it's a sandy bottom. There are no more fish from then on as there is nothing for them to eat.
Thanks for that Colin. I am just a coward and hate any sort of creepy crawlies/fishy things etc :roll:
The only fish I like are the ones covered in batter.
Mary.
Well I was splashing about in the sea off Levante beach this morning at 5.00a.m. :oops: and didn't see any jelly fish at all. And before anyone comments, I could see everything else :lol:
going to benidorm on sat 26th aug is there still a problem with the jelly fish?
Hi dez

I'm going on 26th too!!! If you don't see any jellyfish, look out for the beached whale!

:pele
I survived a week of riding the waves on my rubber ring, and didnt see a single jelly fish. :shrug
There are indeed jellyfish about. The only place I saw them was out in the deeper water by the big float with the slides and diving boards on. They are NOT the stinging type. The ones I saw were big brown ones which don't even have any tentacles. You could actually pick them up in the palm of your hand (well to be more accurate a young Spanish lad could pick them up in the palm of HIS hand :lol: ) My youngest daughter and I swam through a large shoal and both lived to tell the tale. According to the young lad the jellyfish to beware of are small and white (translate as transparent?) with very long tentacles. I never saw anything like that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.