France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Booze run
35 Posts
are any of the large supermarkets open on a sunday and if so any idea what time theu shut please ?
I would think it highly unlikely except for the last two Sundays in December before Christmas. BIG fines are applied for illegal Sunday openings ... more than the potential takings!! You might find the 'wine warehouses' operate differently, with Sunday openings in the Calais area. Sorry if I've put a downer on your plans for a Sunday 'day out'!
It hadnt occurred to me that many of these places would be shut (from what date in December do they open on sundays ?), can anyone suggest which booze warehouse we go to in calais - looking for champers, beer, and wine.

Or

anyone know of a hypermarket that will be open on Sunday

or what time are the hypers open each day as wqe will be passing through calais at 600am on the saturday.
Carrefour at Cite Europe is open on all the Sundays in Dec and also the last Sun in Nov. Try their website for exact times.
I always try to avoid the Cite De Europe as I have found it to be far more expensive than any other hypermarche

BUT

I do tug my caravan from Spain and stock up "duty free" in Le Perthus and as we meander back to the UK over a few days the extra in Diesel is negligible

Gray
The Madcaravanner
You may well be right that Carrefour at Cite Europe is dearer than others.
I was using it as an example of one hypermarket that was open on Sundays in Dec. Maybe the others in Calais or Boulogne are as well. I don't know, but I do know that if you only have a few hours in France and don't know your way around, you sometimes have to weigh up cost v convenience. We've been several times and still manage to get lost now and again between Cite Europe and the big Auchan and Sainsburys. If you only want booze there are places like Eastenders and Wine and Beer world that are open almost 24 hrs seven days a week.
Just returned from a day return trip to Calais. Anyone going to Auchan or Carrefour please note that they no longer give out free plastic carrier bags. You now have to pay or just take everything loose in the trolley to your car. Best stock up on 'bags for life' from home as they are much better quality than the one I bought in Auchan.
I think the carrier bag thing applies all over France now. We were in Brittany in July and found the same thing there although the supermarket we used most often had a couple of huge bins full of the cardboard boxes they had taken the wine etc out of to put it on the shelves and customers could help themselves to them.
Got back from a day trip to Calais yesterday and you are right about the carrier bags - It's the same at Tesco - The guy on the till tried to explain that it is the law now - to do with recycling I believe.

However at Carrefour we did buy a bag for about 0.60 E (I think) which was quite substantial - it held about 8/9 loose bottles & groceries - It has proper handles and can quite easily be re-used again.
Can any one tell me if the Auchan hypermarket sell at the same price ie Dunkerque, Calais, bolougne ect. I am toying with the idea of going out to some of the rural smaller towns, also do thay still the 10 ltr brick. :lol:
The Spain/France border place is La perthus and from calais you are looking to drive about 850 miles each way. Thats a lot of fuel and motorway tolls just to save a few quid on ciggies!
Apart from local promotions and special offers, it is likely that the prices in the different branches of a large supermarket chain will be the same, give or take a few cents, all over France.

NO FREE BAGS, so take your own!
The smaller towns have smaller supermarkets, hence a smaller selection of goods, if you want a specific item stick to the larger towns.

Patka
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.