France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We stayed near the south end of the Lake in our caravan and had a great time though all we do in the evening is eat out ! the locals all move around on roller blades keeping fit for the cross country skiing, the Lake is amazing blue there are boat trips we went up the tramway up mont Blanc and walked to the glacier though it is a bit of a drive there and did lots of walking you can swim in the lake too the town is very pretty with narrow streets
Annecy is gorgeous. When we were there we saw lots of paragliders and from memory there was opportunity for people to pay and take part (we had an 8 month old and a 3 year old with us so it wasn't an option for us!). The town itself has lots of places to eat in the pedestrian area. There is a cycle track down the (flat) side of the lake (on the pther side the road follows the hills!). We also went up Mont Blanc and would have walked a lot more than we did had the children not been so young. Geneva is about 45 minutes drive from Annecy. Oh, you're making me want to go back!
Thanks for the info!

So would you reckon 10 days is long enough to stay there?

Is there lots of smaller towns/villages around the lake? Are they easy to get to?

Id fancy doing the paragliding, ive never done anything like that before, id say it would be great.
I would reckon 10 days would be about right for visiting Annecy and the surrounding area. We were there for 17 days (we changed our plans and stayed longer than we had originally booked) but with the children had several days of doing nothing. The west side of the lake has lots of little places on the lake shore but on the east side the towns etc tend to be a bit further away from the lake in places. If you don't have a car, there's a boat that sails up and down the lake several times a day and stops at various of the towns.
I lived around annecy for 3 years, so in summer there is many tourist but it keep nice

If you want to see another place around a car is better, but you can use bus a train ...

in Annecy I remember two bars "comptoir de la folie ordinaire" for rhum an "cafe des arts" two are close the lake or historical architecture.

Good holidays
Could anyone recommend the best time to go to Annecy?

I have been checking on some websites for accomodation but there does not seem to be many rooms available in early August.

Thanks, again.
We were there for 17 nights from mid June into the first week in July and the weather was great, although it got very cold at night. I recall we only had one wet day but because it's in the mountains there was one day when the cloud was quite low. Every photo of my children shows them in shorts, t-shirts and sun hats.
Thanks for that elaine80.
I will have a look at accomodation around that time so.
My son is in his last year of studying for an animation degree at Uni and goes to Annecy for the big Animation festival that is held there every June. He loves the place and although scenery is not a big thing with him usually, even he thinks the medieval town and area is stunning. He normally stays at the Belvedere campsite which has great views over the lake and usually comes back with a half-decent suntan too. Accommodation can be scarce during the festival as it's very popular. I think this year it lasts from June 11th-16th so you might want to avoid those dates if you can.

Edit - I have added some photos to the HT gallery that my son took around Annecy. They can be viewed via the link below for anyone interested.
  • Edited by Robbo11 2007-08-06 22:31:00
Thanks for that Robbo11, we have booked our hotel and flights from 1st to the 10th of August.

I heard you can go paragliding over there? Does anyone know if this true? I would like to try that.
There were a lot of paragliders when we were there.
Hello,

Does anybody know if there are any wine trips that you can do near annecy?

Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.