General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
3 a year for the last 3 years fortunately since the mortgage was paid off. A week around Easter, two weeks in August and usually 10 days in October. Trouble is I then only have 1 days holiday entitlement left for the whole of the rest of the year! The positive is that it doesn't leave me much time for DIY jobs around the house so I can pay someone else to do them without feeling too guilty. :wink:
  • Edited by Robbo11 2007-05-21 19:03:59
We generally get two holidays in a year. this year we may be lucky enough to get three :D we did cyprus in January, turkey in three weeks and looking at egypt for sept /oct ish :fish .
We dont really go out much (apart from motorbike racing :roll: ) so all our money goes to holidays.

hugs la x
We have been to Majorca this month, going to Benidorm in July and then Santa Susanna in Oct. Go for 2wks in summer.

We always go weekend breaks at home too if good offers crop up!!
where do you lot get the money and time off from work? I presume you must work or you wouldn't be able to pay for all these lovely holidays.!!! As I work in a school our holidays always seem to be twice the price of everyone else's. We went to Estonia for 4 nights over Easter and our main holiday is 2 weeks to Mexico in August. If the budget allows we might have 3 nights in a local hotel over New Year. ps We're taking the grandchildren to the Midlands to visit my sister over the weekend. Does this count :oops:
Helen , I work a 40 hour week and luckily we no longer have a mortgage , we don't go out much so quite a large proportion of our money goes on hols :)
where do you lot get the money and time off from work? I presume you must work or you wouldn't be able to pay for all these lovely holidays.!!!

Hi Helen...
Officially retired and an OAP....
You can't take it with you and there'll come a time when we may be too ill/old to travel, so for the foreseeable future, the kids watch the bank balance slowly go down. :rofl
Usual reply..."what going on holiday AGAIN " ?...they actually try and make us feel guilty.!
Answer,.... Yes, you'll have to work until you're at least 55 instead of 50 because there won't be enough left in our bank account to keep you in early retirement.... :lol:

We have 4 holidays a year...2 weeks each time.
Xmas and April....Benidorm
June and Sep/Oct (ish)...Costa del Sol.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
i must be poor as i can only manage 1 holiday abroad per year ,but maybe having 3 kids(1 who is always classed as an adult, since he was 6) has something to do with it lol
I'm always being told that; 'not again, you're always going on hols'! They're only jellous! I get 6 weeks leave a year so intend to make the most. I went away 4 times last year and I have 3 planned for this year (already been once and my next is 2 weeks on friday) but might be having a 4th, not sure yet. I have 2 planned for next year already.

Darren
aye awrite, no need to rub it in lol
quite right about holidaying while your well enough and "young enough" to enjoy. So many people work so hard to put money away for retirement only to find that when it comes they become ill and can't go. My father spent the winter in Majorca for 3 years as he found the milder weather good for his athritis. Then the last time he was there he had a heart attack. His insurance is mow sky high so he can't go!
I agree- while you are fiancially and physically able, you have to live for the moment, whatever your age. None of us knows what is around the corner.

While those of us with school age children are restricted to peak times and the the holidays are expensive, as corny as it may sound, the memories of the time spent with the children is priceless. We aim to do as many 'different' holidays with them, while they are still of an age to want to come with us as possible.

Pam :D
Try to get two holidays in a year...long haul Far East as the main break in the winter and a short haul for the Summer. Didn't manage Far East this year due to work commitments. Just back from a short break in the Algarve.

I guess though there will come a time when all our travel plans will get clipped if the concerns about global warming come to the fore.
i am lucky as i have good in laws that will take my little daughter as often as we like so we can have the odd week away kid free my older two are old enough to look after themselves now so i dont have to worry about them. also elllies school is on the parents side re holidays so there is never a problem taking her out of school, and my hubby is self employed therefore he can have as much time off as he wants and we also have an apt in turkey that we use some of the time which obviously helps, thats why despite having a 7 yr old im able to have as many hols as i can and nearly forgot my mother lives in turkey too so we can always stay with her too. ive contemplated spending the 6 wks summer holiday in turkey but hubby couldnt afford to lose 6 wks wages in 1 go but if i had someone i could go with i would do it but i dont fancy 6 wks on my own with ellie lol, any takers lol !!!! like a few people have said we dont go out a lot ,dont smoke or drink so i love my holidays
We only get one holiday a year but thats because we only have one wage coming in at the moment. Wait until my little girl starts school full-time and I can work and we may finally get two holidays during the year, at least :)
I don't mind just the one though. Its something to look forward to and we save hard all year just to make it that little bit special with no worries about what we can or cannot spend.

It doesn't matter how many you get as long as you enjoy the ones you have.
:)
I think one holiday a year is essential for sanity and anything more than that is a bonus. We didn't think we would be able to take a holiday this due to different reasons. However, like people say you don't know whats around the corner and things change. We are now off to Jersey at half term for four days and hopefully will get something booked for the summer hols, in Greece or Lanzarote. as I work in a school and have a lad of school age.
Pretty much one fortnight abroad and one week in the UK. If I can I do the week abroad but I don't think it'll be happening this year.

When I'm in my late 40s/50s I'm going to be holidaying as often as I possibly can. Funds don't allow so much now but so long as I get my fortnight I'm happy.
As many as we can fit in. This year we have been to Beni in Jan,Amsterdam-Feb,Malaysia-April.going to Turkey-July,Dusseldorf-Sept,Thailand and Cambodia-Nov. I have time for a few more but unfortunately the OH is still working, roll on his retirement.
I think I know where we're going wrong Helen. Instead of spoiling ourselves we're spoiling our grown up children by trying to hold on to our money to leave it to them.
Seriously though, apart from having to pay top prices (as we work at a school) hubby's holiday allowance wouldn't permit more than one 2 week holiday. I'm a bit sad as in I'd rather stay home than go for less than 2 weeks as it would take me longer to pack and organise things than the number of days spent holidaying.
Last year was an exception, as apart from our main 2 week August holiday (Santorini) we also did take a week in Corfu to celebrate our Silver wedding.
Hopefully when we retire we'll be able to afford the cash and time to go more often.
I live in hope
We had been fortunate enough to manage going abroad on holiday three/ four times a year,these last five years. Hopefully similair will continue in the future :shrug Age was probably a factor( 43 and 41) but having chosen not to have kids has definitely had an impact too. :lol:
Where I've "missed out" though,others have gained. :)
  • Edited by FionaI 2007-05-23 12:27:46
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.