Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
To answer a couple of your questions, yes I have been to PDR but NO I wouldn't recommend it and are there any British owned bars? Yes.
There's the Irish Bar, Dublin bar, The Dubliner, Paddy's Bar, Ireland Eye, Paddy's bar etc.

You may enjoy it as many people do as the beach is excellent but personally it wasn't for me, we only stayed the one night before heading back to Albufeira.
We must have got asked a dozen times if we wanted hash/smoke etc in the couple of hours we were there during the day and this whilst I was with my 2 young kids.

Spent the night in nearby Alvor which was loads better but maybe a little quiet for 2 weeks.
Must admit we only popped into PDR to visit someone for a few drinks one evening and didn't like the place at all. I thought it was brash.
I agree!!!! Praia da Rocha has a fabulous beach but it is all skycrapers and high rise buildings IMO.
There are so much nicer places to visit.
Why don't you give us an idea of what you are looking for and I'm sure someone can help you out with some suggestions :lol:
Pat
:glynis
ditto to all replies, we spent 2 weeks there last year and wished we'd stayed in alvor, much nicer, even albefuera is nicer ! grat beach though, no 'family' entertainment to speak of at all really, more geared towards irish and singles.
ditto from me as well. Nice beaches in P d Rocha, but very high-rise. (we are talking tower blocks, not just two or three stories) If you like lively you probably be better off with Albuferia or for something quieter but still family orientated Alvor or Carvoeiro.
I've not stayed at the Plaza Real but"¦

Praia da Rocha, the seafront of Portimão, is a very convenient family friendly and a snazzy place to go.
It has a beautiful marina with bars, restaurants and cafes overlooking the Arade river and the sea.

http://family.webshots.com/album/69875624jNefMd

It caters for all sorts. Families with very young children (it had a cute roundabout during the summer for the young ones) as well as fun water activities for older children.

There are high rise buildings but these are not overbearing. This is no Miami. The buildings referred to have self-catering apartments with swimming pools, pizzerias and tennis courts. Buildings which are 2nd line from the strip offer the views of the fantastic beach and are quiet.

There are Karaoke bars and lots of restaurants of different types (British - including a Fish & Chips!) and nationalities. Some offer quiz nights !

http://www.freemaps.net/admin/sources/editor/assets/Current%20Maps/praiadarocha.pdf

The great thing about Praia da Rocha is that you are in the beach in next to no time and at night its great to walk around as a family eating ice cream, doing karaoke and soaking up the atmosphere!

You are next to Portimao where you can take the kids to the Riverside - more restaurants, boat trips, pedal cars for hire and all sorts of restaurants + ice cream! And perhaps take them to the Shopping Zone or to the Cinema in an afternoon or evening - for a change from the beach.

{BTW, I've been to Praia da Rocha several times and have never seen or been invited to smoke hash, etc. I guess such people know they would get short shrift from me or I guess I just do not look the type!}

Have an excellent time!
Hi Algarve, re the hash thing. My hubby if he's approached always shouts out "Dont Do Drugs" :) and they move off quick style, it works everytime. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks to everyone who has given advice. It is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Sarah
From that description about PDR it sounds like its had a complete facelift and a lot of work has been done since I was last there in June 2007.

If its your first time to Portugal you will probably enjoy it as I know a few friends who also liked it and it was also there first visit there.
I think most people who return are of the same 'type', the ones who arrive at Faro for the first time, get a coach to PDR, spend a week or 2 in the hotel and by the beach, a bit of karajoke, have a good holiday then they return the following year and do the same. Nothing wrong with that just not me.

Having drove around and seen places like Lagos, Luz, Gale, Tavira etc its a bit of a shock when you visit the likes of PDR, Quarteira and Armaçao De Pera .

I think I was probably offered the hash as I didn't look none too happy about being there and perhaps they thought it might help me see PDR differently. :D
We do not stay in Praia da Rocha but in Praia do Vau which is in between Alvor and Rocha.We think it offers the best of both worlds it is quiet but has access to the fantastic beach and is easy to get to PDR or Alvor if you want a bit more excitement.
Also in all the times we have been, have never been offered anything!
Perhaps we look to old :roll: But all our family have been with us on different occasions ages ranging from 1 to 84 and they have never been approached either.
I must admit the first time I went to PDR I said they would have to pay me to go back but since we started staying at Vau and going into Rocha I must admit it has grown on me ,also they have done a lot of work and are really trying to go more upmarket. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.