Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Red Sea Magic
287 Posts
Just a couple more tips I thought of:

The air con on the coaches in particular and sometimes in the Meridian restaurant can be a bit high! On the coach to dead sea I was sat near the window and it blew unpleasantly into my ear and people were covering themselves with towels trying to keep warm! So I'd recommend a couple of jumpers / wraps!

The first time we ate in the Meridian we only ordered 3 of the 6 courses but the portions were small and we were still hungry after so we ate in the Lido Restaurant after! :lol:

If going on trip on Quad Bikes I'd advise buying the head scarves to protect face from sand - everybody bought one on the trip except one guy who had brought his own :) These only cost 30 egyptian pounds each. There was a guy recording our quad biking on the way and sold DVD for 150 egyptian pounds which we bought. Photos were also available sitting on quad bike. At the beduoin tent could buy cold Pepsi / 7Up etc for only 10 egyptian pounds from the beduoins. Lots of flies though so I kept my thumb over mine but they still tried to get in - yuck!

I will try my best to answer any more questions!

Only 4 days until your holiday!!
Hi,

Here is my review of the Red Sea Cruise.

At airport when going to check -in, look for " Thomson Cruise" stand as this has information and booking form for trips and security stickers, quite a few people did not see it. This also explains that spaces have been reserved for Luxor and Sharm ( for people joining at Safaga) and Aqaba/Petra ( for joining at Sharm. These need to be booked on your first evening any others can be done at leisure.

Now a bit about the ship but most things have been covered.

Embarkation was well done and quick, you will need to give details of your credit/debit card for your on board account.
We were on Deck 2 an inside cabin 669. There was enough wardrobe / draw space for 2 women.
Always hot water for a shower, only problem we had was the soap dish seem to be in an awkward place and we kept banging our arms.
The position of the plugs were right on top of dressing table so I could not plug in my mobile phone but they were quite happy to do it at reception.
No kettles or irons are allowed in the cabins.
If you join the ship at Safaga as we did, you do not get a sail away party till the Sharm El Sheikh sailing on Thursday also the ships video starts here.

Now the trips.
Safaga. Luxor departs 6.30 - approx 15hrs adult £70 child £35. I cant help with trip as I stayed in Luxor and did them.
Paradise Island (Giftun Island if you want to check web site before you go) Departs 8am approx 9 hrs Adult £49 child £25. We did this trip and really enjoyed it. Once on the motor boat we sail for about ¾ hr and then stopped for 45mins snorkelling which was great and all equipment. snorkel etc was there for your use.. We then went onto a beautiful island where we had a lovely meal and time to relax and swim. It was a perfect way to get over the journey yesterday.
Other trips on offer but we didn't do
Seascope & Hurghada City Departs 11.30 Approx 5hrs Adults £ 35 child £17.50 The seascope is a glass bottomed submarine (doesn't travel) which takes you 3 mtrs under the water to see the fish and coral. Then you have an hour in Hurghada for shopping.
Hurghada City trip. Departs 12 noon approx 5hrs Adults £12 Child £10. Visit 2 areas allowing 90 mins free time in each.
Makadi Bay hotel transfer. Approx 5 hrs Adult £23 child £ 11.50. On its own beach, includes a towel and soft drink on arrival. You can also hire snorkelling equipment , go windsurfing or go on a glass bottom boat at an extra charge also have a look round to do a bit of shopping in Makadi Bay.

Ships sails at 22.30

Sharm El Sheikh.

Ras Mohamed by boat. Departs 9am Approx 4 ½ hrs Adult £32 child £16. We did this trip, We got into the coach and only 10 mins later we had a stop at a shop/petrol station and the rep took details of who needed snorkel equipment at a cost of £6.50 it was not on the excursion info that money was needed for this so as they were usually free on the boat some people had not got enough money with them. It also took about ½ hr. The boat eventually sailed at 10am ( we could see the ship so we were not far) we sailed to the edge of Ras Mohamed National Park and snorkelled for 45 mins which was great but then instead of going further into Ras Mohamed to the deeper water and see larger fish and different coral for our second stop we sailed away from it and ended up in the Ras Um Sid area of Sharm and our session was right near the beach which we could have reached by taxi. I only know this because I have been before but many people did not realise. Some of the people complained about paying for equipment when we got back to the ship and we all got a £6. Refund on our accounts.
Naama Bay transfer. Departs 9.30 Adult £12 child £10. Approx 4 hrs Didn't do this but when I stayed here before it cost £3 to get to Naama bay and I was quite near where the ship docked.
Quad bikes Departs 9am,approx 3 ½ hrs Adult £36. Didn't do it.
Glass Bottom boat Departs 9 am approx 2hrs Adult £19 child £9.50. Didn't do it.

Ship sailed at 22.00

Aqaba.
Wadi Rum. Departs 12.30 approx 5hrs Adult £34 child £20. Didn't do it but its only 17km so taxi should not be too bad to get there you would have to see if there was an entrance fee and work out the cost .
Movenpick Hotel beach transfer. Departs 12 noon approx 5hrs Adult £17 child £8.50. We did this trip and if we had wanted just a beach and swim day it would have been nice but I had asked the "destination desk" on board if they could find me somewhere to snorkel in Aqaba as someone on Trip advisor web site had said that there were places to go but we were unsure about going off on our own in Jordan ( a couple of wimpy women) and they said they would ask their divers. When we went back to find the results we were told that the only think they could advise was to go to the Movenpick. There were about 3 fish to see there and to add insult to injury, I had told a couple about the information on web site and they went the next day to "The Royal Diving Centre" the taxi cost them about £10 and about the same to go in for the day. They said it was really good.
Petra. Departs 7.30 approx 11hrs Adult £70 child £35. The coach trip was 2 hrs on a really good straight road and all the way there the guide gave us information about Jordan and Petra so the time went quickly. Walking around Petra and seeing the sights was brilliant, we didn't bother with the horses etc. You could get a horse from the coach park to the Siq which cost £5. And lasted 5 mins. They were on a separate path right next to where we walked. At the Siq you could get a horse n carriage through the Siq at a cost of £20 for 2. It took about ½ hr to walk through. We then walked round with the guide giving us info on the different places. We were then allowed time for ourselves and they explained it would take about 1hr straight back but we could have a wander and make our own way to the restaurant for a meal. Afterwards we set off back to the ship and were all glad to just rest for the 2 hr coach journey. Got back to ship at 6.30 ish.
I was told that entry to Petra worked out at about £16 and a taxi costs £20 per person so without a meal or guide its probably round £40 .
The Dead Sea. Departs 7.30 approx 12hrs Adults £51 child £25. We didn't do it but spoke to a couple who did it with Thomson. I am not sure if you could do it on your own, if you work on the fact that from Aqaba , Petra is 97km and took 2 hrs in a coach and cost £20 each in a taxi, The Dead sea is 285km and according to the couple we spoke to, took over 3 ½ hrs to get to I can't imagine the cost of a taxi. The couple who went said that they did not have long enough at the dead sea which was 2 hrs and in that time they had to change to swimwear cover themselves with mud wait for it to dry in the sum then get into the sea , by then it was time to get dry and change for lunch which was at 1pm. They then had a an hour round the pool to relax before the journey home. They got back to the ship just before we sailed at 8.

At night it was the Buffet Magnifique - You could take photos from 11 and the buffet started at 11.30. If you can imagine only 75% of the people attending you can guess how crowded it was. We did not queue up outside to take photos so went in at just after 11 and the buffet looked brilliant the work that had gone into making it took 48hrs and you can see why, well worth taking photos .They then announced the buffet open and we tried to form orderly queues to get it, no sooner had we sat down with our savoury dishes than they were saying that the buffet was closing so could we get anything else we wanted, we had to get up again and get our plate full of the scrumptious chocolate goodies that were on offer.

Port Sokhna. The port is a working port with nothing anywhere so people who were not going on the trips just stayed on the boat. There are 3 trips on offer all include the Pyramids one also going to the Museum, one Memphis & the tombs and the last to Mohammed Ali mosque & lunch an the Nile. All coaches left at 7.30 in convoy and returned together 12 hrs later. We went to Pyramids and museum and enjoyed it. Our guide was really good and once again filled the 2hr journey to Cairo with info and facts. This road is also good a new highway and all ok till we hit Cairo then the roads are horrific they don't stop at junctions or traffic lights . We stopped at the Museum first which was amazing we went round with the guide giving us talks on certain things then we had free time to have a wander on our own or you could pay to go into the mummies room (not sure how much sorry) We then went for a meal at hotel before going to the Pyramids I was worried it would be a long hot tiring day but really enjoyed it and the pace the guides took us was just right. On the way home we had to stop at the obligatory Papyrus and jewellery shop but we were not there long so it wasn't too bad.

Sunday was a day at sea and I think you need to be on a sun bed by 9.30. We ended up on one of the top decks where we found a space. It was really windy but ok.

Well I hope some of this is useful to you. I have all the Ships "Cruise News" papers that you get in your cabin so any questions please ask. Tricia.
What puts me off about visiting the pyramids is the long drive on the bus - think it's 3 hours each way and the fact if i was to go all that way i would want to go in a pyramid but as i don't like confined spaces it would all be for nothing. I will be arriving at the ship on Tuesday 21st November so really excited now
Hello Hchy Girl,

I have been to Egypt 6 times now and as soon as I say I have been people assume I have seen the Pyramids and upuntil now I have had to explain that I havn't. This is the nearest (unless you stay in Cairo) you will get to them, it would be such a pity not to go. If you read my review above you will see it is only 2hr journey which goes quickly and there are other things to see. I also did not go inside and when you see them you will realise that that is not important it is just the size of them which is amazing.

I hope you have a great holiday, we did.

Tricia.
Thanks so much for all the information- its given me food for thought and I am thinking about changing a few of my plans now. Have printed out your reviews/comments and i will digest later and review my firs thoughts. Thanks again its just so helpful to have all your ideas - certainly gives me a headstart on deciding what to do.
hi tricia , what a great review, ive had to read it twice theirs so much information, just a quick question when i booked my cruise on the celebration i told her that i do not want anything to posh , like dressing up for dinner and tea, all i want to do is walk around all week with my shorts and vest on, so tricia wot is the dress code like ? i dont even want to dress up for the captains dinner, im not even taking any trousers or jeans with me. cheers andy..
Tricia

If you haven't done so already, I'd be delighted if you would copy and paste your review to our Cruise Reviews HERE as a permanent record.

Thanks

luci :wave
Hello Andy
I am glad you enjoyed my review its quite hard trying to keep it compact but give as much detail as pos. The advice I can give on the dress code would be that you would probably be able to eat in the Lido in your shorts n vest and still feel comfortable but in the paper "Cruise news" which you get everyday it does say the dress code for that evening in the Meridian. Just to give you an idea it says most nights " Suggested attire- Gentlemen full lenght trousers with a button style shirt and ladies - summer style dress or trouser suit". Meals in the Lido are varied so you should be ok there. I think if it was me I would just pack one pair of casual trousers or Jeans and a couple of T shirts just to be on the safe side. But its your holiday so what the hell. If you are thinking about visiting a mosque on a trip then of course you have to be a bit more respectful and cover up. Hope this helps a bit . Tricia
Hi Luci

I have posted my review as you suggested

Tricia
Many thanks Tricia. :tup
luci :wave
Has anyone been on the Wadi Rum (5 hour) excursion trip from the Thomson Celebration boat?

Do they use a 4x4 vehicle or do they shuttle you around the sights by minibus?

Many thanks!

nellytheelephant
Hi Nellytheelephant,
I didn't do the wadi rum trip but I watched the ships video of it and they were all in 4x4 open jeeps and looked as if they were having a whale of a time singing and dancing at the end. I am sure you will really enjoy it
Cheers tricia
Hiya Thanks to everyone for putting such great information on this site. I leave on the above cruise next Thursday and have a few more questions if someone doesn't mind helping.

If you decide to make your own way to Petra etc by taxi where do you pick up the taxi from are they waiting near the ship?

If you do not do your own thing and go on a ship excursion is is possible in Aqaba to do the 4 x 4 Jeep Safari one day and Petra the next?

Are you still able to go the restaurant for dinner if you do these long trips or do you have to have the buffet on the days where you go to Luxor or Aqaba? What are the main restaurant opening times?

As a member of my party has bad knees would you advise against going to Petra is the long walk very hard on the legs - how long is it?

On the formal night do men wear Tux and Ladies posh eveningwear?

How much for trips by taxi if you go as a couple to eg Petra, Is it possible to go to Paradise Island under your own steam - don't know if would want to go for 9 hours!!

What sort of adaptor do you need for electrical sockets in cabins?

Did you find the trips exhausting and come back needing another holiday to get over it?

Thanks very much to anyone who replies.

Karen 8)
Hi Karen,
This might be a bit jumbled but I will try and help.
The adaptors. I took my normal 2 pin adaptor which has a hole above the pins its not easy to explain but the plugs on board have the two pins holes and then a pin just above them sticking out which goes into your plug. (I am confused & I know what i am on about). They are also flush with the table so I had to ask Reception to charge my mobile phone.
Trips for Fri & Sat As you join the ship the day before they reserve places for you and you should confirm any that you wish to do that evening. Dont forget to pick up your letter from the airport before you check in - you should see a stand with "Thomson Cruise" on it, this gives you information and security stickers for your cases.
Fri trips - Wadi Rum - departs at 12.30 for 5 hrs.
Movenpick Hotel Beach 12.30 for 5 hrs.
Saturday trips - Petra departs 8am
Dead Sea departs 7.30
Wadi Rum departs 12.30
Movenpick departs 12.30.

The ship arrives at 11am There is a shuttlebus which I think leaves every 1/2 hr this takes you to a central point in Aqaba city centre it runs from 11am, last bus back to ship is at 6pm. You have to complete a landing card available at the gangway before going ashore and according to the "Cruise News" you do not need your passport to go ashore.

I would imagine this is where you will be able to pick up a taxi apparently there are white taxi's which it says are easy to track down but the yellow taxi's are the ones with meters, either way please agree the price before you go and don't pay till the end.

Restuarant Times

The Meridian was open on Friday 18.30 till 21.30
Saturday 18.30 till 22.00 ( This was also the Buffet Magnifique buffet night).

The formal night we didn't do but there was a mixture of dark suits and Tux and Sparkly dresses and long skirts with posh (ish) tops.

Petra

There were quite a few people with walking sticks and you can get a horse and carriage through the siq to save a bit of walking, and then a camel for the rest of the way. The walk is supposed to be a round trip of about 6 miles and not always on an even surface. There are places to sit all the way down and a coffee shop half way with chairs so they could rest there. The guide also explained that at any time we could make our own way back to the restuarant as long a s we let her know. so I hope that has given you a few ideas.
I am 59 and didn't find the trips too tiring I thought that the Thomson guides seem to have arranged the trips at a good pace to see everthing but not rush, and you have the 2hr coach ride home to relax.

Doing Petra on your own I have read that a Taxi cost £20 per person and the entry fee is £18 (21 Jordanian Dinars )

Paradise Island is near to Hurghada which is about 45mins to an hour away from Safaga. I would imagine you would be able to pick up a trip from the marina there easy enough but the trouble would be deciding what time to get to the marina as the trips could leave anytime between 9 & 10 am I cant help with that. Our coach with Thomson left at 8am if thats any help. The 9 hrs was a lovely rest for us as we boarded the ship at Safaga the night before.

I think I have covered everything but anything else just ask.
Have a wonderful time I wish I was going and not just back.
PS. All the times I have quoted are from my trip on 7th - 14th Nov so they may change due to the nights gettting shorter but should not vary much.

Cheers Tricia.
Sorry I meant the nights getting longer not shorter. Sunset was about 5pm whilst we were there.
Tricia.
Hi

Many thanks for all the information I have read on this site - it's fab! I am going on the Red Sea Magic Cruise on 26th December and can't wait! :lol: I would be very grateful if anyone could answer these questions about the ship.
1) Is it possible to get a table for 2 in the restaurant? We aren't anti-social honest, but it would be nice to have some romantic meals without always having to share a table.
2) Is Horizons non-smoking?
3) Is there a bar in the non-smoking lounge?
4) Are bathrobes provided?
5) Has anyone been on the ship for New Year's Eve before? I wondered if they made it into a sparkly frock night!

Many thanks if anyone can help.
Hello Thespian

We were asked every evening if we wanted a table for 2 and would we mind sharing so if you explain I am sure you will be able to eat alone, you might have to wait but I wouldn't think it will be for long. The Mistrals Al a carte Restuarant was supposed to be really nice if you wanted something special and that was £15 per person.

Can't help about the smoking in Horizons as I went on the Lido deck to smoke. Most of the ship is no-smoking with specific areas outside. I know there is a smoking area in one of the bars but I cant remember which one, I have looked through all my "Cruise News" papers and there is nothing in any of them about it. In the cabin I remember there being a leaflet which explained about it.

We were in an inside cabin so we did not have bathrobes and just a shower but We were speaking to a couple who had a suite and they had a bath and I think bathrobes but I am not 100% sure.

I would imagine that New years eve they would really go to town with the celebrations but I would imagine that they would cater for all and allow you to wear any kind of formal dress, but as I have never done it I am only guessing.

sorry I can't help much but perhaps someone else will be able to help you more
Have a great holiday
Tricia.
Hi Karen.
I have just been on the Trip advisors web site and there is a message there from a guy called "Raven Hawk" he is from Jordan and he was answering a question about doing the trip on your own rather than with Thomson. He says that he can arrange a tour from Aqaba gulf to Petra in a day with car and english speaking guide. I know nothing about him but thought I would let you know in case you were interested. You can contact him on web site jordan_tour_guide@yahoo.com.

When I looked at the preview of this I noticed that the line under the web address covers the uppercase case dash between jordan and tour and guide so I will do it again and put a space so that it doesn't underline it, in case you dont want to click on it. jordan _ tour _guide@ yahoo .com ( I hope you can understand me)

Cheers tricia.
Hi Tricia

Thanks so much for all the information it is really useful. I can't wait as only a week to go!

Regards

Karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.