Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Thanks for the replies.

You say some bars overcharge - which ones do we watch out for - any tips.

Thanks

Sue
If you worried about being overcharged, be carful if you go to Capri. In Sorrento, a few bars are a bit more expensive than others, but sometimes I feel your paying for the location, the best people watching spots, the best views etc. In Capri, you certainly have to watch the menus carefully - four ice creams and a glass of coke cost us 20 pounds there a few years ago!Still thats Capri, Sorrento prices generally are on a par around the town.
I agree with the above I didn't really find anywhere horrifically expensive in Sorrento. You pay for what you get in most cases in terms of location and service. The bars on the "main square" are a bit more pricey but super places for people watching.
Hi,

In a few weeks (16th july) I'm off to sorrento for 2 weeks. We're staying at the Admiral Hotel (booked with Thomson), and arrive in naples at 19:00. Does anyone know how long the transfer will be, and how long it takes to transfer through Naples Airport? And, because we're arriving quite late, will we be served a meal at the hotel?

Also, we are looking at doing an excursion to Rome. Thomson quote about £50 each for a day visit to Rome. Is it possible to do it yourself and how long is the journey to Rome? Finally, does anyone know what are the non-balcony restriced sea view rooms like at the Admiral, as I've read they are the worst rooms in the hotel.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and put my mind at ease.

Thanks,
Astraeus
Merged with existing topic which may provide some useful information.

luci :wave
Hi

We stayed at the Admiral last year --- loved it! I think we posted a review!

There are also some good reviews on trip advisor web site (hope it's ok to post this admin!)

It takes about 90 minutes to get to the hotel from Naples minimum depending on traffic. The rooms in the hotel vary. To be honest we were a bit fed up as we had booked a sea view room and found it a bit restricted, though other people had 180 degree panoramic views. Must admit, teh sea views are the best in Sorrento and you are right on the sea. The setting is stunning and if you are ok to walk you are in a little fishing harbour that is REAL Italy. We loved it. The hotel food is good is you are ok to do REAL Italy and not 'fish and chips'!

Re the rooms - must admit the non balcony rooms are not the best rooms but you may be able to upgrade when you are there is you want to. Having said that, they are not dire and wont have the 'cringe factor'! If you are not happy make sure you speak to the Manager ---- he is the man to ask and he will help you

It is a lovely hotel and the location is PERFECT. You are right by the sea with the most amazing views

Re the trips:

Rome -- I wouldn't do it alone. We used the Thomsons people and it was excellent. Rome is a good 2 hours a way minimum and a long train journey. If you do Pompeii however use the train as the train goes right to the ruins and is really, really cheap! Similarly, if you want to go to Capri use the Ferry yourself and buy a good guide book / map about Capri - again it is much cheaper!

If you ahve any questions please send a pm as we would love to pass on tips about what we sussed out last year!

:wink:
Thanks for yout repy Presto2,

We may see if we can change roooms once there, but i think its unlikely becuase when we booked, we got the last remaining rooms at the hotel.

One last question, is the beach at the Marina Grande suitable for swimming as some reviews say the hotel loses the sun early in the day.

Thanks Again :)
You are quite literally on / over the sea. Unfortunately, there are no steps in to the water and you will lose the sun mid afternoon. Get the sunbeds right in the left hand corner by the sea and you get it longer :wink:

When you get there you will notice that when you stand on the hotel deck area there is a restaurant to your right. This is apparently really good (and will be open if you get there late and aren't fed!) and they have their own jetty and area roped off to swim in. I've heard it's very good and other reviews back it up. It isn't too expensive and they get the sun more or less all day. The small beach in the Marina Grande was packed when we went, but it was a major Italian holiday / festival so say no more!

The hotel have a small snack bar at lunchtime and it was good value for money and you wont beat the location. We checked out the location of all of the posher hotels we'd priced up and I really think that this hotel is a little gem and I bet the posher hotels envy it's location! I think that as long as you recognise that you are going to Italy, don't expect the rooms to be like a 4 star British Hotel (as some of the folk with us did!) , like a nice stroll after your evening meal , a touch of 'real Italy' and magnificent views you will love the place.

Just one tip -- when you go down for your evening meal try to get there early -- there are some lovely tables in the main part of the restaurant with lovely sea views. If you ask for one they will only be too happy to help you. Tables are not reserved as in some Italian hotels. Some nights we were offered other tables and with a gentle smile and a request for the others they were more than happy to let us go where we wanted . After a few days they got used to us and just took us to one , or a similar placed one!

Have a great time - if you aren't happy with your room it really is worth asking. We did when we got there as the first room I hated! The rep was good and we were moved within 2 hours to a much better room. It does work and you never know what vacancies they may have!

We have just returned from staying at the Hotal La Pergola at Sant Agnello (15 - 20 mins walk from Sorrento town centre). The hotel is a small, family run hotel, very clean. The staff are wonderful - very helpful. The food was lovely.
Just be aware that not all rooms have balconies; and
Try to avoid Room 11. This one should be a courtesy room. It is a good room, but as it is just off reception, you can hear all the transactions at the desk, the TV and all the chat in the lounge, the noise of people talking on the steps and the splashing sound from the pool filtration system.
We asked for a room change and were moved to Room 19 - as nice a room as 11 - but very much quieter - possibly the quietest room in the hotel.

If you want to visit Pompeii, don't take the organised tour (€32 each + €11 entrance fee per person) walk the 10 minutes to the Sant Agnello train station and get a return ticket (€3.80 per person). The train stops right outside the entance.
Hi i am thinking of visiting sorrento for the first time in late april 2008
what temperature would it be then ? And could anyone reccomend a 3 star hotel .
Hi miggy and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with existing topic which may have some information.

luci :wave
We were in Sorrento late Aprol / early May in 2004. Max temperature was between 18 and 22 degrees. We had one blustery, rainy day in the fortnight, otherwise very pleasant though cool in the evening.
We stayed at the Hotel Ascot and found it very satisfactory. It is a basic 3 star just past corso Italua and a short stroll to the town centre and the port. For us the location was ideal. It is on the SITA bus route to the peninsula and we like to visit the villages and ramble through the countryside. It is also on the orange bus route to the railway station although its not far to walk. In the evening you can stroll through the shop-lined alleyways of the old centre, which start nearby.
Best wishes
Peter.
Hi Miggy

We usually celebrate our birthdays by going to Sorrento In March, and the weather can be a mixed bag in the Spring. We have often been blessed with lovely sunny skies and usually warm enough to walk about in Tee Shirts, even though the locals are still dressed for winter. This year we were lounging out by the pool for the first 3 days and then the weather changed and its was horrible for the rest of the week.

However, we love Sorrento (whatever the weather) and will be going back at Christmas, which is a first for us.

We stay at The Grand Hotel Aminta which is in the hills overlooking Sorrento, and is perfectly located and is run by staff who cannot do enough for you - 10/10.

We have also stayed at the I'll Faro which is down at Marina Piccollo (where the ferries go to Naples and Capri) and i think thats a 3 star. Very nice also, but you have to be fit to walk up the hundreds of steps back up to the town - or take the bus of course.

We have also been reccomended to the I'll Nido which is a little further out than the Aminta and gets very good reviews although it doesn't have a Pool.

Have a great time wherever you end up.

Ciao
Peter
Hi Miggi

Reply re the 3 star

Admiral -
Admiral
Admiral

You will not be disappointed - read our review and any questions just ask

x

Hi,

Im off to sorrnto tomorow, and would desperatly like to know if there are any english bookshops there or nearby (naples) as my sister wants the new harry potter book when its released on saturday, and we're going for 2 weeks.

If not, we may go on amazon and have it delivered, but does the italian post work on weekends?

Thanks,
Info much appreciated
Astraeus
Sorry, not that we can think of ------

Sorrento is pretty Italian really and i would be surprised if there was an English book shop ------------------

I'd try Amazon!

:lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.