General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
After reading through this thread I decided to go and look at Asda's sun lotion range. I bought their factor 50 for children and a factor 15 spray along with a tube of their Factor 30 for your face.

My skin on my face is a nightmare - it reacts to lots of the products giving me big red patches and making my eyes stream. I wasn't really expecting to be able to use Asda's product at all however I have been quite surprised - I used the cream on my face just to test it and even did an aerobics session wearing it and my skin was fine. Not bad for £3.50. Really impressed. So I thought I would let you all know and thanks to Oscarben for highlighting Asda's range :) as I never would have thought to go there for suncream.
Does this range have a five star UVA and UVB protection. This is the highest protection you can get in all SPF numbers, if it does then it's fantastic for that price, have a check on the packaging and let me know please. :cheers
Yes,5* rating,I wish they made a once a day cream though,like Piz Buin .Glad to have been a help,Strawberry Whizz.
Oscarben is that five star UVA and UVB as normally the cheaper ones are one or the other not both? Great if both!
Hi hockey 6,says with 5*ultra UVA protection then says UVA and UVB protection, moisturises for up to 12 hours, water resistant, dermalogically tested, this is on the label of 10spf, I believe it could be one of last years bottles as I cannot remember which ones I bought this year.
Sounds like its only 5stars for the UVA to me with some UVB protection, u have me intrigued now, I will have to go to Asda and have a nose, as you can tell, part of my job includes suntans! :cheers
hockey6 wrote:
Oscarben is that five star UVA and UVB as normally the cheaper ones are one or the other not both? Great if both!

The 'star' system is only used with regards to the UVA protection and the SPF system is used with the UVB protection, so you should never find the 'star' system being used for both types of ultra violet rays.
The phrase 'broad-spectrum protection' - this indicates that a product shields against UVA as well as UVB.

While SPF is the universal measurement of UVB protection, no comparable standard exists for UVA....and the 'star' system is the brainchild/outcome of the research undertaken by Boots, it has been adopted on many sun care products and using the 'star' sytem is licenced for a token fee to any manufacturer or brand of sunscreens that are sold in the Boots retail chain, provided the products to which the logo is applied perform to the standard claimed. Own label products such as Asda are now excluded from the terms of the licence.

Sanji
I've been using the Asda one for a couple of years now and Im very impressed , wish I'd found it earlier .We all have very pale skin & burn easily so I usually buy what I know stands up to the test for all 5 of us . Not only is it an excellent range at half the price of the top brands it smells lovely & feels light. I also use the banana republic spray mist as a top up during the afternoon . Its cooling and has a superb coverage particularly when you are alone and have nobody to do your back :D . Asda have now added one of these mist sprays to their range so that is next for me to try .

Our nearest Asda is a bit far for me to be hassled with so I just do an online grocery order and the man brings me my couple of carrier bags once a year .
Can you still get factor 25? Was looking for it last Wednesday and hardly saw any. I don't have a clue what my burning factor is, so I settled for factor 20. My skin never gets to see any sun, but I was just getting prepared as I may need it soon. Our old suncream was like single cream it was that old.
We use mainly factor 30 on most of our holidays,sometimes going down to factor 20 or even 10 if it isn't too hot and we already have a good colour,I wouldn't use a factor 20 abroad in peak season unless it was at least my second week in hot sun.Even then I would reapply quite often.
Tesco have Piz Buin 1 day long lotion reduced to £5.99. Think they have a 25...but I get the 15 and 10 as have olive skin so rarely burn.

I did try Avon waterproof sunscreen one year and hated it. Totally blocked my pores causing prickly heat rash and had to get antihistamine cream/tablets from pharmacy.
It's not anywhere hot as such, just getting it in for dare I say, any fluke hot spells later this year, and I don't go peak season due to my job.
Betty Boop,I got piz buin once a day from Savers for £4.99.We've already had 2 weeks in Turkey so,providing I can maintain my tan til September when we go again I will use that for the first week then Asda's 10 for the second.Both makes seem to suit my skin,couldn't get on with soltan once a day though.
i get really bad prickly heat and have be advised to buy a non waterproof sun lotian
any ideas every one i have seen seems to be waterproof
help :que :que :que
Some might just be water resistant Pat as opposed to waterproof. I used to get really bad prickly heat too. My doctor told me to start taking an antihistamine every day for 2 weeks prior to my holiday. I did this a few times and now don't have to bother I think it must have kick started my own defences. But I've only used Piz Buin suncreams also so it could be a combination.

Try the antihistamines 2 weeks before you go and daily when you're there, hopefully this will help :tup
Lyn, which antihistamine's do you take as some have side effects such as drowsiness?

I've never taken them before but may give it a go. I've only had prickly heat once- In Turkey 2 years ago. It was only on my wrist but it was really bad. I ended up paying the equivalent of £9 for a tube of cream from the pharmacy there.
Shirley, you can get non drowsy ones now, I usually buy generic ones , any of the supermarkets own as they are very much cheaper.It should say non drowsy on the box.
I haven't seen any antihistamines that cause drowsiness for a long time, but even so you could always take one on an evening before bed :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.