Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Taxi Tips
24 Posts
Thanks for those tips.

You said your last trip was to Sousse, how much should we pay for taxi from airport to hotel in the centre of Sousse? We have booked flight & hotel ourselves so no transfer provided. All the prebook taxi transfers seem to be an excuse for extortion. Our guide book says 5TD but is a few years old. Please help us to not be ripped off.

Ta.
At Monastir Airport they have a system whereby a taxi "shop-steward" will try to broker a ridiculously high price with the taxi drivers in return for a cut from the taxi driver.

They will quote you at least 25 Dinars to go to Sousse. Don't get into a taxi until you have agreed a price first. I normally walk along the line of waiting taxis insisting that I want to go to Sousse on the meter! This will provoke another taxi to offer to take you for 20 Dinars, and finally someone will offer to do it for 15 Dinars (less than £6.50 for a 14 mile taxi ride!). I usually agree to pay 15 Dinars but stress to the driver that the tip is already included in the price.

On the meter the same journey can be anywhere from 9 Dinars to 16 Dinars because the meters fluctuate so much. The only reason that I don't walk out onto the road to hail a taxi is the fact that I have a suitcase in tow.

I should mention that the hotel I go to is the Tour Khalef which is about 2 miles further on from the centre of Sousse.
At the airport I always greet taxi drivers in Arabic - "Aslemma" is simply hello and quite adequate, though if you can give the appropriate greeting for the time of day they are even more impressed. Then say something like "Marhaba Hotel Sousse min fahdlek (please) - how much?" Whatever price they say I give the same response "La, gali barcha" - No, too expensive. They then ask what I expect to pay so I offer less than half and we haggle from there. :lol: The object of the exercise is simply to give the impression that it isn't your first trip so it's not worth them trying it on. It's worked well for many years now.
If you arrive in the morning, say Sparkeel (morning), and you could say Hotel Marhaba Sousse, kadesh? (another word for asking how much).

When giving tips, I usually round it up to the nearest dinar, but there are plenty of times that I just give them the exact money.. like 80% of the time. After being there for the 3rd time, I only give 2 dinars max as an extra tip, and the taxi has to be nice, I'm talking music, comfortable interior, leather helps, taxi driver should be willing to put my CD into his player or find a good radio station..hehe
Hello all,

First time posting but have been looking around the Tunisia board for w little while picking up on the useful info around.

I have a taxi / geography related question that I would really appreciate some advise with. My family is flying into Monastir and staying at the Regency hotel which if I am correct is also in Monastir (near the marina ?). We don't have transfers included in our deal so I am trying to figure out the most cost effective method for getting from airport>hotel.

I think a taxi is the answer and I think I should be able to get it for around 5-10 dinar - if anyone could confirm this (and if I have the hotel location correct) I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Keeders.
Hi, really found some useful info on this Tunisian board.

It seems like the taxi's are going to get as much money out of you as they can, and I don't want to be ripped off if I can help it. :roll:

So can someone tell me how much one dinar is worth.

Do the taxi's charge by the mile or the klm, and what should you pay per /mile or klm.
:shrug
Many thanks.
counting down the days, really looking forward to the hols :fly
Hi, one dinar is worth about 50p. If you roughly half everything your not far off :wink:
As for the taxis ask the driver first how much to where ever you are going and try and agree a price before you get in, we found this to better as when you use them again you know roughly how much you should be paying, not all of them charge the same but if you know how much you paid 1st time round then you know if your being ripped off or not.
Unless of course you got ripped off the first time round as well. :roll: Monastir to Sousse not more than 10 dinars during the day, more in the evening. A ten minute journey shouldn't cost more than about 3 dinars tops. I got charged 10 dinars from Tunis airport to the station which was only 10 minutes but couldn't be bothered to argue - on the way back today he tried to charge me 15 but when I went to walk away the price magically dropped. I know that is well over the price but I was feeling generous! (The train fare from Sousse was only 8,650 first class!)
I am in Port El Kantaoui at the moment and the latest trick doing the rounds is to switch the taxi meter to the night rate during the day. There is an easy way to tell if this is happening. The meter normally should click to the next increment every 4 seconds or so. If it flies around every 2 seconds tell the driver and refuse to pay..............
Keeders

The Regency Hotel is actually in the Marina complex at Monastir. 10DT for a taxi from the airport seems reasonable to me.

More generally. I'm a huge fan of louage taxis for getting around in Tunisia. I know Aslemma always rates the train service, but where the train doesn't go the louage will. Cheap and a great way to meet and chat with Tunisians.

Dorra
Hello folks. I am travelling to Tunisia on 26th July with the wife & three youngsters aged 16,12&8. From what I read on this forum, the correct taxi price for the 50 mile journey will be £25 or thereabout. Kindly confirm this please. In addition, will the 5 of us be carried in one taxi ?

I was considering taking a coach transfer quoted at £15 for all of us by lowcost holidays.com but put -off by the coaches stopping everywhere and dropping off people on the way. I would rather pay a bit more as the kids will be exhausted (my flight departs at 5am.. you all know what youngsters who have not had a sleep are like!)

We will be at the Melia Flora Park Boutiqe Hotel. I will post my experience upon my return hopefully. I am somewhat concerned about the seaweed on the beach as reported on this website on the beach in Yasmine Hammamet.

God Bless to all those who reply. My appreciation & Gratitude to all who respond. Rafik Gaffar
I dont think they would let all 5 of you get into the taxi for insurance purposes. There are police everywhere in Tunisia, and if they blew their whistle at a passing taxi then by their law they have to pull over and have a spot check. If your wanting to stay and all travel together then your best bet is to take the pre arranged coach transfer. I know it is a pain having to stop on route at every hotel but atleast you wouldn't have to pay twice for the taxi's. You might be lucky and not have many stops, but then again it,s up to you :wink:
hi to you..rafikgaffar.. :wave ..have just returned from there on the 12/06/06,.and yes there is seaweed but is only at the waters edge,.and not all the way along the beach,.the beaches along there are great........regards.......john-doe...go and enjoy..
hello rafik, im going next tuesday and decided against the coach journey. last time i went on holiday we sat on the coach for an hour before we even left the airport. its a long drive to yasmine hamamet and with the stops at hotels and any delays id guess it would take a while, plus you have to all line up in the hotel and sign in when you get there. ive been told that a decent price to pay is about 30 pounds by taxi. might be a bit pricey if you need two taxis but you will be showered and settled in the bar while everyone else still on a tireing coach trip. personaly i think when you have allready shelled out and looked forward to a hoilday why spoil your first night and turn up moody with frustrated kids in tow.

hope you have a great holiday
amoresperros
Your replies have been very helpful! I was wondering if there might be some mini-buses or perhaps people carriers. Worse case scenario, I will take two taxis... the idea of having showered and sitting with a cold soft drink cera]tainly appeals to me!

Of course cheering England footie this afternoon. I propose to have an alternative flag to St George's ..something that reflects our vast cultures in England. This may perhaps increase patriotism from migrant communities! Hope you folks are not offended. Cheering our lads in Nurenurg this afternoon... in 5 minutes...GO BOYS...MAKE US PROUD!!
Hi rafik - why don't you give eden.tours@planet.tn a quick e mail for a quote for your transfer - but emphasise that you do NOT want a shared vehicle? They are a very well known company in Tunisia owning both the transport devision and several hotels and wild life parks etc - so reliable. I have used them for transfers from Tunis to Mahdia and they were the cheapest of 8 quotes. It's poss worth a try. Enjoy your holiday. Jenny :D
Jenny..

Thanks for the details. I will send contact them and let everyone know how I get on. Thank you (((((Big Hug)))))))))
I have been in touch with edentours who have quoted Euro70 (£50)for a private minibus transfer. From what I hear, the taxis are around £25 each. So worse case scenario is that 2 private taxis will cost £50. The upside is that I may find a private minibus for £25. I will not take a coach transfer as the transfers may take 3 hours at least. In the ideal world, we shall be in the Hotel Room in half the time. We travel on the 26th July..any latest tips will be much appreciated.My thanks to all who have responded.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.