Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi
I have been looking in to this for our trip to the Maldives next year and like yourself don't want to spend a fortune ;)
So far I have seen some very good results from both a Vivitar 5188 and also Vivitar 5399 which you are able to purchase new for the £30-£40 range on that well know auction site.

A tip I saw and will try and remember is that the water filters out red light so when you are viewing or editing your pictures you should increase the red colour to bring back the bright colours of the fish and coral that you saw under the water.

Perhaps others can come on and suggest some more suitable cameras?

Graham
We've used the Kodak underwater cameras, the single use ones. They take good quality underwater photos.
We used a Vivitar 5188 and got some great underwater photos. Unfortunately though, the waterproof case got broken and I am unable to find a new one, so if anyone can tell me where I can get one, I'd be most greatful :) I even got in touch with Vivitar direct and they were unable to help me.

Thanks Jane
johnandfran,

Cameras Underwater are worth a look and have cameras to suit most budgets. If you already have a compact digital camera, there might be an underwater housing available for it.

Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
A tip I saw and will try and remember is that the water filters out red light so when you are viewing or editing your pictures you should increase the red colour to bring back the bright colours of the fish and coral that you saw under the water

That's true, but won't be noticable in the depths you'll be taking photo's. Red light is the first part of the colour spectrum filtered out by water, but you'll hardly notice a difference in the top few meters where you'll be snorkelling. If you use a colour colorection filter at those depths, everything will come out un-natural with a strong red colour cast. I only start using a filter when I know I'll be going beyond 10m. With the Red Sea waters being so clear, I wouldn't worry about it for snorkelling. Boosting colour saturation will brings out some of the rich colours, but you'll still have plenty of red light available. I'll be taking a filter with me in March, I exect we'll be venturing to 30m+ if there's something worth going that deep for!

Darren
My daughter bought my grandson a Vivitar 6200W which gives good results and is shock proof etc. and you don't have to worry about an extra case. Not sure if these are still available.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.