Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
It is the resorts via Antalya airport that you want, not Alanya. :D I looked into which would be best and decided that Side was as near as you could get to the road over the mountains towards Cappadocia. In particular, the Manavgat side of Side (if you see what I mean!). Side itself is a great historical sight, with Roman remains and an amphitheatre. There is an excursion to Perge and Aspendos, also Roman sites. Do not book a hotel in Alanya, as it will add an hour to your journey each way to Cappadocia and it is quite long enough anyway! Some people on our coach had started from there. Do not book the tour op's 2 day trip. Book locally for a 3 day one, as it takes a day to get there and a day to get back. Interesting stops along the way though at Konya (whirling dervish place) and old caravanserai on the silk road. I thoroughly recommend it, but would suggest you avoid high season and the great heat and humidity. We went end of May and it was fine.
:tup Thanks, mehmeh.

Think I meant Antalya not Alanya. I had looked at Side but wasn't sure how far away it is. The 3 day trip sounds good. We are thinking of either early May or September next year.
In September we are travelling by overnight bus from Antalya to Cappadocia, staying for three days and then returning overnight to Antalya bus station to travel along the coast to Kas for five days before travelling on to the Fethiye area, flying back from Dalaman.
We have done the coastal part by bus twice before, stopping at Antalya (Kaleici old town), Cirali, Olympus, Ucagiz, Kas, Oludeniz and Hisaronu. Absolutely amazing scenery and so many interesting historical places. I would recommend a couple of nights staying in the Kaleici before travelling to Cappadocia and then finish with one stop or more on the coast between the above mentioned. Aspendos and Perge are only a short trip away from Antalya, our pension offered to arrange it. Walk along the promenade to Antalya museum, very impressive (worth buying a pass as you can use it for all the sites and save a lot).
Either May or September would be great.
Thanks for the info. Scousemouse. Will certainly look into that if we go. May or September would be when we would visit.
(worth buying a pass as you can use it for all the sites and save a lot).

at present there are no passes available for tourists these passes called "Muze Kart" are only for turkish citizens.

the overnight bus from Antalya to Goreme or Nevsehir takes 9 hours and I too recommend that you might want to look at staying in Antalya for a couple of nights..

have a look through my photos or Antalya and the surrounding areas;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

you cannot pre-book bus tickets before your arrival in Turkey online..however once you arrive in Turkey to can go into the many bus company offices all over the cities and reserve and book your tickets then..

Metro Turizm has buses from Antalya to Goreme and the cost per ticket at present is about 40 liras
Thanks, didn't realise that about the passes, we visited that many sites we thought we had missed out!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.