Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
This post is a big + for travellers cheques,the amount you lose on the exchange is nothing to the amount that can be removed from your account.
You could call in at the nationwide and get clarification on what you can and cant do with the card.
caz
cirrus, along with maesrto were almalgamated with /taken over by mastercard

wizard
I've used my Nationwide card all over the world on every trip and never had a problem. I'd never go back to Travellers Cheques, too expensive and too much hassle.

The tip is to do exactly as you do at home which one would hope people do anyway, which is to check the cash machine for tampering and as per other post place one hand over the other to block any images being taken while your entering your pin.

I always use cash machines that are inside the banks whether at home or abroad as these are safer and less likely to have been tampered with. If I use an external machine I take the precautions as above and tend to pick well used machines in busy/open places as again these are less likely to have been tampered with if they're used frequently and in view of many people.

On another note many people seem worried about the machine swallowing your card and being stranded with no cash, again do as you do at home, take another card as back up and cash which can be kept in your safe for emergencies. I've only had this happen once before on Zante, we emailed the Nationwide the same evening to advise them and we used another card for the rest of the holiday whilst the swallowed card was cancelled.....just in case. Easy and no real hassle to us.
covmartin - can you remember which machine you used in Protaras? Was it at a bank or not?
Hi Martha1, yes it was a cashpoint outside a bank but can't remember the name of the bank unfortunately. But for those familiar with Protaras I'll give directions! from the McDonalds end of the strip, walk down the strip staying on the right hand side, pass the first fountain and you will see a gift shop on your right, just after this you will see a scooter hire place. the bank and cashpoint I used was in between the gift shop and scooter hire place. This is opposite the road that leads to the Odessa Hotel and Victorian bar. I hope this helps.
We are going in two weeks and we will this machine a miss. We will try only to use machines inside the banks.
Thanks for the info . :shock:
Off at a tangent somewhat, but we've noticed that Bank of Cyprus don't let us withdraw £200 Cyp in one go (our UK limit is £250 a day). Other banks do, however. Just thought you'd like to know.

cheers,

richie
We have used our Nationwide flex ac card abroad for a while now with no probs. I too always check the machine and cover the keypad. You can never be too careful.

Having never been to Cyprus before (going in Sep), are there cash machines inside banks in Protaras? (We normally try to use machines inside banks when abroad)

Thanks a lot
Jaime C :wave
I'm surprised you actually lost the money though? When my wife's Nationwide card was cloned they refunded the money (£300 odd) within a few days and that was the last we heard of it. Always use my Debit card abroad as , as mentioned on here numerous times, I don't get charged for it and stopped using TCs years ago due the various legal rip offs you get when changing them up.
I have just read this post and exactly the same thing happened to me from the same cash point in Protaras. I work here and withdrew 10 pounds from the cash point, only to find out a few days later that someone had been withdrawing money from Italy! Definately watch out, and avoid this cash point if possible. It's next to the pharmacy opposite vrissi hotel. Hope it hasn't happened to many others!
Thank you covmartin. I'm just back from Protaras and managed to avoid the ATM you described so well. Also followed all the hints and had no bother with my Nationwide debit card.
We did find a dodgy payment on the credit card, we had eaten at the Protomare restaurant (don't bother ) and found the bill for £44 CYP correctly charged , but on the same day another £20 was charged to our card by the Protomare. The Nationwide were very helpful and have already refunded it.
hi there, has anyone used their natwest debit card at a cashpoint in Cyprus? mine has the maestro/cirrus logo on the back, stupid question I know but I can use this card at atms in cyprus?
There is no need to use the cash points, i just go into the bank with my card and passport and draw out what i need its much safer
thanks for that, can you go into any bank with your debit card and passport? But if needed do the cypriot atms accept british debit card?
provided it has the Mastercard logo on the machine [cyrius/mysrto were taken over by mastercard a couple of years back]

wizard
I go in any bank on the strip with my Halifax visa card and passport and see the cashier, i get all my money in one go and its a lot easier than using the machines a few times, i have never used my debit card in the machines but i do seem to think you can as long as you have enough money in your account to cover it.
I wish I had read this post before I went away, I used a cashpoint in Pernera last week. Got back to the UK on Wednesday, checked online banking and the same day as I used my card a couple of hours later it was used in Germany, over a couple of days almost 800 pounds was withdrawn all in Germany! I've called the bank and they are refunding the cash so it isnt really a problem but just so others are aware - there didnt seem anything 'strange' with the cashpoint nor was anyone hanging around.

I've always used my card abroad and never had a problem before.

Max
We used both the cash points in pernera and just rushed off to check balance after reading your post max! ours is ok which machine was it? so sorry you had this happen but good news the bank will refund you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.