Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
6 hours going to Palma from durham tees valley!

Okay 6 hours is nothing compared to some of the thing like 19 hours etc. but consider you whole 6 hours being spent in a airport with a alpha duty free and a wh smiths the size of matchboxes ?! :duh

It was PROPER boring!
8 hours flying out to Orlando from Birmingham airport with Britannia Airways in 2001. Apparently there was a technical fault which scared me no end and made me even more anxious as I'm a nervous flyer. Also my kids were 5 & 7 at the time so they were extremely bored and moany.
24 hours twice with BA as a unaccompanied minor (11 year old).

First time I ever flew, flying to Jakarta where my dad lived via Singapore on BA (onwards with Singapore Airlines). In each direction the BA flight was delayed due to engine problems, so I was dumped in Singapore with an air hostess looking after me overnight in a 5 star hotel until onward connection.

It was BRILLIANT! (not so for my dad / mum meeting me in each direction!).

As an adult, 20 hours for an Air China flight that had to make an emergency landing, then wait for a piece to arrive from Beijing (why they didn't have an undercarriage 'pin' in Heathrow i'll never know). 8 hours for an Etihad flight in Bangkok.

The best was 3 days for a Merpati flight in Banda (Indonesia) that failed to turn up for no apparent reason, but we got on the next flight out 3 days later, unlike many others. However, being unable to ascertain if the flight actually existed in the first place (despite having tickets) i'm not sure if it counts!
I think we've been lucky in comparison to some of the delays you people have had, but our worst delay was 13 hours (9.00pm flight so it was overnight and we finally took off at 10.00am next morning) from Bristol to Gran Canaria and on the return journey it was delayed by 3 hours. They did manage to put some of the passengers into hotels, but there was no room for us so we spent the night in the old Bristol Airport terminal. Anyone who knows it will know that it was not good. There was a honeymoon couple on the flight out and they said they didnt book long haul because they only had a week away. With that kind of delay, they could have gone somewhere a bit further and more exoctic. We did have "Roger Ramjet" as the pilot on the way home though and somehow he managed to shave over 30 minutes off our flight time home ;) .

We have had a few 1 hour delays but they are nothing compared to the 13 hrs.

Sarah :)
longest delay is 9hrs flying out and 7 hours coming back 2 weeks later that airline went bust
Longest delay for me would be 6 hours from Manchester to Larnaca with My Travel. First aircraft (B757) had a technical fault as they were boarding so they unloaded us all and asked to wait a while. We sat at the gate and I was amazed when they towed a DC-10-30 onto the gate! I was purely shocked that I diddnt believe we would be flying on it but we were. It made my year getting a chance to fly on a DC-10 the aircraft was amazing. The delay diddnt bother me much as I was too happy they had swapped the plane for the DC-10
A party of 20 of us ended up with the front section of the aircraft to our selfs crew were not bothered where you moved to so long as you were in the allocated seat for landing and take off.
This has to be the best flight I ever had and was perfect I got a chance to fly on the DC-10 before they became non existant in the UK.
Our delay in Lanzarote 9 years ago was only 5hours but slightly more eventfull.
The baggage handlers decided to strike that day so the whole place was chaos, no check-in, nothing.
Eventually we were told to go through to departures with all our luggage, go out a gate and find our plane! With all the passengers (for other planes as well) we eventually found the right one.
Me and my best mate went in the luggage hold and loaded the whole planes luggage, assisted by a chain of other passengers passing the luggage up to us. The heat in the hold was unbearable! no wonder they were on strike for more pay.
Bet you wouldnt get to do that nowadays :really :D
My sister in law had a 21 hour delay on the way back from the Dom Rep with Thomsons the week before last. They had a delay in the airport for 4 hours with no announcements etc They boarded the plane and were sitting with their seatbelts on when one of the flight attendants said they'd have to disembark. Apparently on the outward journey, someone had put a nappy down the toilet :que By the time they'd sorted this out, the flight crew had run out of flying hours. They were taken back to a different hotel for the night. They were in the airport from 11.30 am until 8.30 pm - & weren't offered a meal or even a drink - & that was with Thomson. By the time they got back to the hotel it was 10.45 :really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.