America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
What sort of price range are you looking at Nivverin - budget, mid-range, luxury? Would you want to stay on Waikiki beach or actually in Honolulu city centre?

If money was no object, I'd stay at the Halekulani - a haven of peace of quiet in a hectic resort. If you want somewhere more bustling and central, try the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach; that's where the popular Duke's restaurant and bar is located.

If you haven't done already, have a look at Oahu hotels on INVALID URL which has great reviews and ranks the hotels in popularity.

Link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29222-Oahu_Hawaii-Hotels.html

Regarding places to visit, have a look at this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862-Things_not_to_miss_for_a_trip_of_a_lifetime-Oahu_Hawaii.html

In San Francisco we stayed at the Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf, which is okay. The best thing about the hotel is its location - right in the heart of Fishermans Wharf (the touristy area). If I went again, I'd stay at the Argonaut Hotel, which is close by and has great reviews.

U2fan
Hi

We stayed at the Best Westen St Francis in San Fran. Good central location on Union Square. Very nice hotel, but a bit pricey.

In Hawaii we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian village. Very big hotel, mixed views about it, but I would definitely stay there again. We were put in the Ali'i tower, which has its own pool. Pricey to eat in the many restaurants on site, but others are a short walk away.
In SF I have stayed at the Holiday Inn near North Beach, right next to the Transamerica Building. Its a great location- close to North Beach, China Town and Fishermans Wharf. I would highly recommend it. I have stayed in a hotel near Union Square but that area is not too nice at night and is a long way from North Beach and Fishermans Wharf, areas you might like to visit at night to eat etc. I have also stayed in the Holiday Inn on Fishermans Wharf which is nice too. My favourite neighbourhood restaurant in San Fransisco is a little family owned Italian restaurant called Sodinis - its on Green and Colombus. My cousin took me there - he went to school with the Sodini boys. Its real - its frequented by San Fransiscans rather than tourists, and has fantastic Italian food and atmosphere.
In Honolulu, I have stayed at the Pacific Beach twice. Its a very nice hotel on Waikiki but is on the opposite side of the road from the beach itself - it doesnt have beach frontage. It has a lovely restaurant.
I have also stayed at the Princess Kaiulani which is beautiful - in the centre of Waikiki and with beautiful beach frontage. it has a lovely cocktail bar right on the beach where you can sip your cocktails and listen to the ocean. If you go to Waikiki make sure you eat at Dukes.
I'm thinking of going to SF for Christmas - cant wait! Enjoy youself. :D
If anyone would like to post reviews for the above hotels (some still being added to data base) please do so HERE

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I'm late responding but it's been a hectic week. We've been doing a lot of searching and are looking to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki so any feed back on this would be welcome.
Still looking for some where in SF. Has any one done the Alcatraz tour. Is it any good / value for money??
Alcatraz is a must see. I wasn't keen on going, but was very glad I did as it was fascinating. I would recommned booking before you go otherwise you might not get on the tour.

luci :wave
Hi Nivverin
I dont know if you have read the post I have on this forum about 3 centre holidays in USA, there is some good tips of everyone who have been to San Fran, Vegas and Hawaii.

Could you tell me if you have shopped around and if you are finding it cheeper to D.I.Y than package deal? What are the flight prices like you have and do they include transfers?

I am wanting to book the same itinery as you for my husbands 40th, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Liz.
HI liz mc

We did look at doing it our selves but we were getting expencive filghts and lots of changes and long transfer times. We went to Trailfinders.co.uk and did it through them in the end. Got much better filghts and times/prices. But having said that the flights still cost 2/3 of the whole trip.

Also with this being our first trip to the US we're not too sure to expect so this also swayed us to do it this way. I have heared about lots of people going the D.I.Y route but most of them have been before and know the ropes if you know what I mean.

Hope that helps.
Nivverin - is it the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach you're looking at (there's also an Outrigger Reef not far away). If so, have a look at the reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d120684-Reviews-Outrigger_Waikiki_on_the_Beach-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

The hotel's in a great location if you want to be the centre of Waikiki / all the action, and like I said in a previous post, it's where the famous Dukes restaurant / bar is located. It's a very, very busy hotel so you won't be getting any peace and quiet there!

U2fan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.