Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
You sound like you know more about it than most of us ! - If you want non-tourist type places maybe just aim at a little village somewhere, go to the coffee houses, tavernas etc have a taste of the real Cyprus... not sure where though as we fell in love with Pernera nr Protaras on our first visit (its where the Local Cypriots go for their holidays in August)

Steve
Pissouri. You'll probably need a car. 20 minutes to Limassol.

Do you not fancy Larnaca again? It'd really be my first choice, with Pissouri a very close second.
Hi,

Welcome! I've been living about 12km outside Limassol since March 2004.

If you are thinking to hire a car, I would recommend trying the Moniatis Hotel that's just off the centre of Germasoyia village. Coming from the airport at Larnaca, the village is to your right at the first roundabout you hit as you pass the big church on the left after Moutayaka exit.

There is a bus service which will take you to the tourist area but it's a bit too far to walk each time. Germasoyia still has traditional and a few tourist tavernas. The hotel is basic / simple but clean and it's set just outside the citrus groves there.

If you want to be nearer to the tourist area but back a bit, then my parents used to stay at the Santa Barbara complex in a privately rented apartment (it's close to what was the Atlantica Hotel - now the Atlantica Oasis) and is 2 streets back from the seafront, in a quiet location but in walking distance to an Orphanides Express supermarket, local tavernas, bars and shops. Sun City apartments are next door and are also in a good location. Close enough to the front but without the noise.

Pissouri is not 20 minutes to Limassol unless you want to drive like a maniac taxi driver on the highway and break the 100km speed limit all the way. Pissouri is almost 30 minutes drive from my house and I live on the west side of Limassol fairly close to Kolossi.

We do much prefer Larnaca too but my work is in Limassol and that's the reason we chose it as work is much easier to come by. Now, if we were retired - we would either move closer to Larnaca or Luxor, Egypt!

Have fun!
Let me see, Pissouri junction to Polemidea junction on the A6 is 28 miles according to 2 of my maps.
Lets say 30 for arguments sake. 30km at 100kph, the legal limit on the highways, would take ever so slightly LESS than 20 minutes. Add a little for accelaration/deceleration. 20 minutes, there or thereabouts, like I said. Not knowing the exact start and end points, I did not allow for any urban driving. I used the 2 junctions as a generalisation.

I know I'm only a tourist, not an ex-pat, but I do know what I'm talking about. I've done the journey many times. Quite a few before the highway was built.
Thanks for info so far!
Has Pissouri not changed much then, still small with limited accommodation? If so it's a possibility.
I will look into the Moniatis hotel, I know Germasoyia. I will also check out the Santa Barbara & Sun City, you say it's near the Atlantica, is that the one behind The Castle hotel (if it's still there)?
Also, if we are talking that area is Jimmy's pub still going? Went to his daughters wedding, it must be somewhere near their 20th wedding anniversary now!
Hi again

Yes, the Atlantica is behind the Castle apartments of a fashion but I don't think you would recognise it so easily now. I first started coming to Limassol in 1985 and stayed in that area a number of times.

Jimmy's sadly is no longer there. The last time we were there was with my parents a couple of winters ago and he hadn't been too well. A betting chain had taken it a few months later but last year we saw it was vacant again.

I believe Jimmy and his wife had an apartment close by but don't know any more than that.

Pissouri has grown somewhat too although the original parts you will still recognise. But those few twinkling lights you could see in the distance from the old road of an evening are no longer a twinkle. It looks like a whole new town has sprung up on the hillside.

There are hotels there too, some luxury ones such as the Columbia's down towards the bay and some smaller more traditional in the village. Hylatio hotel/apartments is quite a nice complex, it's on the road heading down towards the bay rather that in the village itself so you could have the best of both. Either way, you will need a car.

Enjoy your research.

CwB
We stayed at the Santa Barbara complex twice a few years ago- can highly reccommend it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.