Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Les127
we stayed in Apora at New Year in the MD just in front of where you are staying. The walk into Apora village is not very far (10mins at the most) but the roads are a hazard especially at night as there are no pavements,no lights and manic drivers :yikes we tried to walk but the fear factor set in (more so as we had children with us)

The best place to eat in Apora IMHO was Alfresco which is opposite All Spice. It is owned by a Goan and serves lovely fresh food, my favourite was Steak in Port wine, served with mash and fresh veg. :tup The owner is the manager of the Apora football team and his brother is a professional who plays for India (they even went and got him so the children could meet him) go to Alfresco and I am sure you will not be dissapointed. We went to see them play a cup final (which they won) in Candolim.

As for the taxis that I feel is the downside of staying in Apora, being held to ransom each day. It was 100rps of a day to Baga and 150 back of a night. Calangute first roundabout 170rps further on a lot more and Candolim 250rps. (if their meters were on it would be a lot less)

Hope this helps

Debi
cheers :) can be a problem with taxis these days i know! where is alfresco/all spice in relation to lagoa?
Lago azul offers a free shuttle bus to baga every hour up until 5pm.

Spice oven on the way up to Apora village is very good also I beleive Honeys is good but not tried it.

Sebastians about 100yds from Lagoa is great for late night drinks, majority of hotel guests drop in for last drinks. Food not bad either reallly good prices. Iggy the young boy that serves in there will even give you a tune on his guitar if you ask.
Les the lagoa is just down a one way track past the abalone and renton manor.
It is no more than 5 minutes walk to the centre of village.
Come to top of lane and you are right bang middle for diddle.
Turn left for all spice and right for the temple and village centre.
Just neext to temple is annans bar.
Local prices 30r bottle of bud and so on
See the locals next door playing some sort of shuffle game with draught like objects for money.
Anyone now the name of the game :que
Facinating to watch especially on 10 botts of bud
Arpora is not a holiday resort as such but more of a dusty working village.
Dont forget to try a shave a sasuins ??? {spell) the end shop accross from temple,smooth as a babies ar*e and only 30 ruperts.

BTW Hi to ginge and bird from annans (never seen 45 mate ;) good session with you both and thanks for showing mrs were toilets were. The First Banyan tree on left :rofl Wifes face was a picture

Easily acheivable prices from Arpora

To baga 100r
To calangute 80r
To candolim 150r
To vagator 200r
To morjim 300r

Remove 15% 0r so from above if going bu tuk tuk

They will of course try to hit you for much much more but just stand your ground.

Had a peep at lagoa out of noseyness and it looks just fine.
Nice gardens well kept with 2 pools and pleasant reception area.

Very very fair prices for a hotel
large 650ml kingfisher only 60r
coffee 20r

Also just had a lick of paint on outside

Restaurants tried in Arpora are

All spice bang on the button

Saffron court very good food and spacious and clean

Alfresco nice

Posting some piccies in next few days on photie thread and some of arpora

Hope the above helps

Of for a bank holiday pint, sack the work ;)

Happy days

Taxi
thanks for all that info taximania, :tup
No probs mate

btw..

Take good note of debgregs02 warning of roads at night.

No pavements and at times fairly heavy traffic flow.
Be careful also of bag snatchers , fairly prevalant at the moment.
Dont want to be alarmist but take the same care of yourself and family that you would do at home and dont put yourselves at risk.

Taxi

Now I,m definatly off for that pint !

HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY
Went to lagoa azul feb found it a good hotel about 5 mins to centre apora,i found the spice ovens to be the best place around apora,allspice is good but it gets a bit packed,as said st,sabastians next to hotel is good for a late drink,but do try the food there it is very good also you can phone home at night from there,you can change your money at the little store next to honeys restaurant.bring a torch.
Hi taximania

I think the game is called Carrom / Karom / Karam, there are a few spellings!
All spice best by a mile, try and get get an elavated suite at the azul otherwise you might be dissapointed. We went last year at the same time you are going, this year were going south.
I believe that there are loads of new staff, but if the two reception girls are there still, say hi from the scottish couple, one who had toothache, location pretty good especially if its your first time.
Weather hopefully good, fingers crossed :sun2
thanks for all everyones help,really looking forward to it. :)
All Spice in my opinion, ws overrated. Maybe we just caught them on a bad night, but all our party agreed it was the worst meal of the holiday.
I wasnt at all impressed with All Spice, dont think we will be going again
Most of the reception staff are still there. It's the restaurant staff that have changed and not for the better. The old staff that had been there years were great couldn't do enough to help and very friendly. The new staff haven't a clue, hotel must be loosing a fortune because nobody goes in at night they all end up in Sebastians. Having said that the hotel bar starts to close up at about 10.30 and always closed by 11, gone are the days when we would still be sat there until 1 or 2 in the morning.
Sebastians is a great little bar and good entertainment with "Elvis" on the guitar :D
I hear the new (5 star?) Riveria Hotel is owned by the same people who own the Lagoa Azul as well.
The taxi driver we use is based at the Lagoa Azul, and thats how I got to know him, when I stayed there last year, he said the hotel is picking up again.
The older man on security at night is no longer there :( Mr Calcutta, he was so nice as well. Apparently a different security company has taken over this season.
I have to agree about All Spice, I couldn't wait to go there after hearing about it on here, but we all thought it was one of the worst meals we had all holiday :(
obviously the cooking staff must have changed at all spice then?! :think
allspice is still good its when they get to busy they start to cut corners to get every one served,the spice oven is starting to get very popular i enjoyed it more than allspice and allspice was my top restaurant in goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.