Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hmm, is there another Icmeler I don't know about? Because in all the times I've been going there, I've never seen groups of girls going about getting plastered or anything like that. Believe me, if it remotely resembled Blackpool, Benidorm, Faliraki et al, there's no way I'd be going anywhere near the place!
I would say it's an ideal family resort - my family love it, and I can't wait to get back there in just over three weeks' time.
the point i was trying to make is icmelers main tourist base has shifted and it is a fact that there are more and more gangs/couples of lone female travellers visiting be they 18/28/38/48 drunk or not,years ago the main core of the tourist industry was older couples and families,granted there are a lot of places that cater to families but on the same token there are places that cater to women!!i am not just making all this up as i have repeatedly stated we travel there at least 4/5 times a year (winter also)and have done so over a five year period i dont like to harp on about this as i dont wish to appear boastful or patronizing if my posts come across so then i am truly sorry.We have friends out there who have worked and are working as reps for various firms and they too will agree that the type of tourist has changed visiting icmeler now as will some of the resort workers who are more than happy to launch into an hours rant about how icmeler isnt what it was,but then where is???i am not saying that the changes to the place are a bad thing it is still a wonderful place,i am just simply stating the resort is a hell of a lot more commercialized now.Groovy babys post was very perceptive in places and i suspect she may have lived out there at some point or at least spent a considerable lengh of time out there.Benidorm is at the recieving end of some harsh remarks i too was a benidorm snob...until i went ,and like icmeler it can be as loud/rowdy/quiet/cheap /expenssive as you make it.
I think Groovybaby is a man.
Also as well as bars catering for women, men dont do to bad with the large teles covering the football matches.
Icmelers main tourist base 10 years ago were the Germans Dutch then the British.
Families have always been part of Icmelers tourist industry that is why the Children who were going 10 years ago and are now teanagers are now still choosing to holiday in their favourite resort.
Room for all ages and a diverse entertainment range.

Gene
Unfortunately, i wouldn't return to Turkey, i was put off by the hassle, rudeness and the fact that the authenticity has completely gone. It is now fast becoming another Kavos

Sorry to all of you that love the place
Wendy, there is no need to apologise. You have simply stated how you found the place and your opinion is just as valid as all other posters. It would be a funny old world if we all liked the same thing

I also agree with Idris Elba Icmeler has changed over the years as have other resorts places do need to move on or they will stagnate. For example how many regulars to Icmeler are sick of the site of Michael Jackson shows and the likes and listening to the same music, Kiss Kiss, Casper slide etc year after year.

And as for poor old Benidorm or Spain in general they seem to get plenty of abuse on this forum. I wonder how many on here have actually been to these resorts recently, before they pass comment. I have been to Spain numerous times in past few years and still enjoy them as I do Icmeler.

Stewart
We have just come back from Icmeler and this was our 10th time, the first time being in 1995.
I totally agree with Turkish Delight but also agree with a couple of negative comments on other posts.

Firstly, we didn't see anyone spewing up or falling about drunk, and as for 'old love's' , whats wrong with women going on holiday on their own, everyone hasn't got a partner ( thankfully I have) It is so insulting to lump all older women in the same boat, I really take offence at that .
Do people really think Icmeler should just be a family or couples resort? Single women mostly are part of families not from outer space. :que

Some things which I think are spoiling Icmeler are the endless Michael Jackson/ Tina Turner shows, we avoid those places and head off into the old village where you find some lovely restaurants and gentle background music. Also we didn't see any hassle at all.
The only other negative thing was that I noticed that along the beach road there were empty pop cans bottles etc just left on walls, not put in a bin and I have never seen that before , perhaps this is because of the different clientele coming to Icmeler, I don't know .

That said, we have just booked to return next year and are staying at the Effendi, better start saving up now :cheers
I am off to Icmeler next week and am hoping it isnt too different to when I visited last October.
I am looking forward to trying the 2 new Turkish restaurants that opened this year.
October is a lovely month to visit and with the weather forecast looking good I am looking forward to it.
I am taking some photos with me that I took in 1992 from the Aqua hotel and an old postcard I found from the same holiday.
Things certainly have changed but there is no where else I would prefer to be. :sun2
dont worry jay trip, you will not notice a drastic change, paving is alot better in some places, the square is better with fountains and block paving but otherwise you wont notice any changes
My brother & his wife have just booked to come with us next year. Its the first time they have been to Turkey and we have raved on about it so much , I just hope they like it :sun2 Fingers crossed x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.