Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Thanks for taking the time to write your trip report Peter.
Sounds like your trip was a bit mixed. I would love to return as its been a few years now.
Mezannine- we loved that one as well. Was the Ming one, run by a French man? If so, I'm surprised its no longer there, unless he is moving onwards and upwards. There weren't really that mean western type shops when we were there and I wouldn't really like to see them. Sanur must really be changing.
I think Ubud maybe saw a big influx after Eat, Pray, Love. We haven't been there since the film. I would definitely go back there though, just for the temple dances.
Your flight home sounds awful. It's not what you would expect from Singapore Airlines. Have you thought about putting your view in writing to them.
Do you think you will return?
Hi Fiona,

I don't think that writing to SIA will do any good. The chief steward listened to my complaint regarding service and toilets (I didn't mention in my review the MANY crying babies on the flight - nightmare, but a nightmare over which the cabin staff had no control). The toilets were cleaned up fairly rapidly and a senior steward seemed to be put in charge of our section, which is when things improved.

We really enjoyed our visit to Sanur. Yes we will almost certainly return.

Mings has been previously mentioned by you, I believe. I'm sure that we discussed it after my 2010 visit. It was indeed THE place to go and Janet celebrated two birthdays there. The owner was Balinese but the restaurant had a French fusion theme and, I believe, there was a French chef at one time. The owner's daughter's (of Mings) husband now runs CharMing. It seems devoid of any ambience at all and is a pale image of what Mings used to be.

Hopefully my report didn't sound too negative. Bali is still good, but like other places in SE Asia is changing rapidly.

Cheers

Peter
I suppose we can be quite selfish not wanting things to change to a holiday destination we love. Bali deserves a bit more money into it's economy. It has had a lot to put up with. I just hope they don't change what makes them Balinese - such as all the festivals and celebrations.
Hi Fiona,

Not all change is bad. The speed of change is a little worrying as there is no time to absorb into the culture (which the Balinese have done very well in the past).

Hopefully "Eat, Pray, love" will not have a massive impact - to my mind a very self-centred individual.

I have reviewed the Hyatt (10 days ago) but it is stil not up. Watch this space!

Cheers

Peter
Hi Peter,

My apologies in the lateness of your review going live I have recently moved house and you know what its like! Turns into mayhem!

I believe this is now live? Thanks for your continued support with adding reviews :)
Cheers, Phil
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.