Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Alison

This is the one I was looking for http://www.sunnybeachmap.com/galery/SunnyBeachRESTAURANTS/red_lion_web.html

The one near the KFC is part of the Royal Beach complex but looks nothing like the one in the link above.

Thanks
Oh crumbs - yes is a bit different. Never recall seeing the one from your photo. Is it possible it might have been knocked down when they developed the new site and the current one is the Red Lion mark II? This is just wild speculation. I thought the Red Lion I know was like the moon - no atomsphere :cry
Hi Martyn.

Yes it does look a bit different the reason being the one in the picture was the old Red Lion this was i believe the second English ! bar in Bulgaria the other being the Golden lion in Golden sands but they flattened the Red Lion a couple of years ago not that it is a great loss looked quite good service not great prices just like here not Bulgarian prices. hope this helps :que
Hi
I'm looking for a bit of information from someone who has stayed here.

I have read somewhere that this hotel runs a 'token scheme' whereby guests who are not all inclusive have to buy tokens and then use these tokens to pay for their drinks and food. Is this so?

Also can you upgrade to all inclusive if you are staying in the self catering apartments and how much it costs to do this? I'm thinking that it would be very convenient to be all inclusive during the day where the children are concerened. I don't want to have to get up from my sunlounger too much to search for money so that they can get their drinks and snacks ;) :sun2 .

All help is appreciated, jen
Hi, we just returned yesterday from the Barcelo.

We were self catering in a 2 bed apartment via First Choice, when you check in you're given a card that you can use to charge things to your room very much like hotels over here.

We used it round the pool at the bar and settled up on the last day.
Thanks marty
Can you use cash at all in the hotel. I dont like using these type things, I find it difficult to keep track of spending that way. I cant remeber where I read about the token system, but it sounded to me like the bar staff were not allowed to handle cash.

What was the hotel like, it looks really gorgeous on the web site. I'm staying in a one bedroom apartment and also travelling with falcon/first choice.
If you look at the barcelo website, the pics are of their best rooms i.e. the suites but if your room is anything like ours was you shouldn't be disappointed (although there was no minibar, their website says all rooms have :( )

The pool bar is waiter/waitress service and was fine when we were there as it was quiet (30 people max round the pools) but this week when it starts getting busier I can see it being very slow service. Also the snack bar that is also around the pool wasn't yet open but will be from this week.

There are 2 ATM's in the reception so if you're using a maestro card these are probably your best bet as they're in a secure environment - we used them. If you do use the charge to room method then the hotel takes UK Maestro cards.

We tried to get a late checkout but the prices were quite high we thought - Our flight was a 4am departure on Sat but we had to be out of the room at 12pm lunchtime on the Friday - rooms can be extended to 15:00 , 18:00 or 21:00 at a sliding scale, beyond that it's the 1 night rate which on a 2bed was 226 lev or about £90 - we asked for a studio on the 1 night rate which were 120lev but they said they were all booked but we managed to keep the 2 bed for 100lev or £40

The hotel also has free internet connectivity in all rooms so if the kids have got Ipod touch / PSP and *need* to keep in touch with friends etc. In the 2 bed apartment we had an ethernet connection in the living room, picked up 2 unencrypted wireless signals neither of which worked - we took a laptop as we were also considering buying property so needed ondemand internet access.
This from their reservations manager
====================================================================================
Depending on the room type you have booked we have different Internet connection:
In the double rooms we have both: Ethernet cable and WiFi (free of charge);
In the apartments/ studios we have just LAN connection.
================================================================
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.