Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
We were at Talk of the Coast just before Christmas and another of the acts announced that Junior was back in England recuperating from illness.
We had seen him in October and thought he did not look well and that his act lacked something compared to previous visits.
I have checked his website but it does not mentin his illness or whether he will be back in Benidorm.
Also love Neil Ross' voice, could listen to him all night, every night but have seen tensions in the bar when he signs the Fields of Athenry. I personally think it is a beautiful ballad but for some people the connections could cause real trouble and I feel too uneasy when he sings it. I have been in the bar when some parties have stopped him after a few bars of the song and quite frankly I come to Benidorm to get away from that kind of attitude.
Hi Helen...Yes Neils great isnt he, the last time a saw him was in September and i had a few games of pool with him outside after his act, he used to do a lot of the clubs around my way a few years ago so we were chatting over old times. I went with him and his wife Norma one night to watch the "Beatles" at the town which was very good, but compared to previous visits he just did'nt quite seem himself really. I do know what you mean about that particular ballad, ive not noticed any tension there as yet whilst ive been in there, but obviously for certain people this might cause problems....he seemed to be singing it almost everytime i saw him as well...mind you he was doing that with a lot of his act and not varrying it as much as he usually does...and seemed to be getting a little forgetfull too. I do really hope however that when the club re-opens Neil is back there because he has such a lovely voice, its always one of the highlights of my nights out to hear him.

Stevie Nelson who is usually on early at The Talk Of The Coast will probably know more about Junior, I do believe that he is playing one of the Vincents Pubs (White Horse I Think), untill the Talk Of The Coast reopens, so if anyone is calling in there over the coming weeks perhaps they could ask Stevie.

Best Regards - Taggy
Hi
Just got back from a week in Benidorm satying at the Peublo with my Mum and friend. Saw some really good entertainment most nights.

Stardust
Saw Tony Scott, thought he was funny but was then disappointed by a guy with a puppet, can't remember the name but he was awful.
Sinatras
Had a really good night here, saw Words and Music, thought they were very good especially on the electric violin. then the talaented voice of Sean Connolly (the boy from nowhere). He has a great voice and saw him again later in the week at Jokers.
The Town
Had a really good night, after listening to Mike Terry warbling ( My mum wanted to see him) The Elvis tribute Dave Keegan was the best Elvis we saw all week and the comedian Davy Royal was really funny. Then the Beatles. They were superb, 2 even looked like John Lennon and Paul. we also stayed to see Shoewaddywaddy who were very entertaining.
Morgans Tavern
2 very good nights here. Soul family sang lots of my fave songs very well. The Dame Lucy Bunn and Reg. what a shock, after looking at the poster I thought Reg was a puppet :whoops They were so funny and Reg has a really storng singing voice. Then came Chrissy Rock. We laughed so much we had tears. She was great and we were disappointed when we went back to find she wasn't on that night. The highlight for me was the Westlife Tribute act with the 2 lads from Words and music. They were really good and worked so hard. what spoiled it was the time they appeared. Too many drunken ignorant people in the audience who continued talking, shouting and ignoring the fact that some people had come to watch a show. I thought it so rude when these lads were working so well together. Hope they stick with it and become a great success.
Jokers
Saw Sean connolly again, very good. Then Rod Stewart who was dire!!!! Next came Meatloaf who I swear was the same awful guy who did Rod. Couldn't wait to leave.

Walked miles one night (as my mum and friend had mobility scooters) to go to the Rich Bitch for tickets only to find it was closed for holidays for over a month. really disappointed as been before and had a great night.

Had a great week, just wish it had been warmer.
Shaz150
I'm familiar with Morgan's and Stardust, but where are Jokers and The Town in relation to them?

luci :wave
but was then disappointed by a guy with a puppet,

Was it Mike Dennett? I first saw him in a club in Leeds where I live and he was absolutely brilliant, I was laughing until I was sore. :rofl

I then saw him again last year in The Wheeltappers in Benidorm and I must admit although I only caught the tail end of his act, I didn't think he was very good at all.

I too loved The Westlife Tribute Band when I saw them last September and I agree that their show is on far too late. Do they perform anywhere else except Morgans?

Sue :)
Hi again (sorry I can't keep away at the moment) :)
Does anyone know the name of the pub that is near the Levante Beach but is hidden away in one of the backstreets quite close to the chinese 'wholesale' sellers - it has been renamed now I'm sure, and I'm sure a scottish guy runs it - for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it.

Does anyone know the name of it please because I would love to take my family there in the next 12 days when we land for some of their special sangria!!

Muchos Gracias

EDIT: I think it is called The Beachway Bar or something like that but I can't find it on the net.
Hi
Jokers was just up the road from the Peublo, before you come to the Uk cabaret bar, very nicely decorated modern place but needs to get better acts to pull the crowds in. Apparently the Town used to be called the talk of the town. To get to it we walked down the main road that leads from the market and took the first right turn. Its on the left hand corner. decor nice again but don't like sitting on plastic sunchairs all night. Oh and must say thought the toilets in there were disgusting.
Shaz150
Hi

We have just come back from Benidorm 2 days ago and the acts are brilliant. The most superb is 2 guys called Smart Move. We found them at the nightclub Rockerfellers which is just around the corner from the Presidente hotel. They do wonderful Bee Gees (one high, one low) and Four Seasons, Chantelles etc and their rendition from Les Miserables is amazing. There is also another duo called Words and Music - one plays an electric violin - the sounds were amazing - lots of irishtype jigs. Both of these acts got standing ovations - I have been to Benidorm 4 times now and I have never seen standing ovations before. Comics - Crissy Rock - she plays at the Presidente near enough every night and she is brilliant - another George (I think it was King) and Jason Kane are all brilliant comics. One word of warning - if you go to Rockerfellers watch your change and don't give a large note as we gave a 50 note and they tried to give change from a 10 as it is so dark in there. Just take 10s with you and then you will be alright.

Hope this helps.

Anne
marmite3
The Talk Of The Coast has now re-opened, Both Neil Ross and the Mad Maori are back performing there!

Best REgards - Taggy
HI all,any cabaret karaoke kids entertainment bars on the Poniente beach end of Benidorm,staying at Terralta in May,thanks a lot Steve. :wave: :wave:
Off to Benidorm for the first time in fifteen years. Got rid of my kids (legally) and taking a break from the grandchildren. Age 57 but still young at heart. I need recommendations for eating out. I would prefer Spanish (doesn't have to be Tapas) or Chinese. Old town or new town, I like walking. I don't want a Tindale and Stanton pie. I live beside where they are made. As for drinks, I'm a San Miguel/Mahou man (bottles) so regardless of the cost I'll be drinking it. However, if anyone knows of a cheap place to get it (including take away packs), I'm all ears. Partial to an English breakfast now and then, where? We are stopping at the Levante Club Apartments but I'm not bothered where I eat or drink. Are there any Geordie bars in Benidorm these days?
The Drop inn on Calle Londre do a nice breakfast at a reasonable cost, that's just around the corner from where you will be staying. They have free morning papers for you to read too. ;)

I'm sure Taggy will recommend good places to eat, he's a connoisseur. ;)

the queen mary british bar near enough next to the Levante Club appartments does a really good breakfast eddie , and last september it was 1 euro a bottle of san mig and mahou :yikes

i will be there this time tomorrow , buy me a drink if you want :glynis
rikkis stevens is at the uk bar every night at 10pm he is no longer at the wheeltappers :tup
Went to see Rikki Stevens at the UK bar a couple of week ago,also Crissy Rock and a Michael Jackson magician was on,really good night,this bar is located below the Presidente Hotel,in my opinion one of the nicest cabaret bars,big and bright and modern inside.
best we seen last week were .

soulistics and peatloaf .

worst ...Showaddywaddy , Bay city rollers , the Beatles , Robbie williams .
has anyone eaten in the pizza restaurant nearly opposite the melia benidorm? If so was it any good? and how does the tipping work in these places. Do you leave it on the table with your bill or pay at the till?
Hi Luv2tan I have eaten there at lunchtime and thought it was nice as pizza restaurants go. The service was swift and the prices were reasonable.

I am racking my brain to think of the name of it, I believe that they are part of a chain. :think

We just left a tip on the table when the waiter brought us our change.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.