Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Must admit Valantines isnt my favourite bar either really, however Peatloaf is on there from June onwards and if you like Meatloaf he's well worth seeing. We usually call in to catch Matthew and Son too, as you say singing not bad, in fact Matthew is Very Good, but the Jokes are so Bad they are funny !! How Much!!! Would dissagree that you are being "ripped off" in there though. The bars that are supplying cheaper beer are not putting on 4 Acts every night. They've got to be paid for you know, because they dont work for Free, and it means not needing to charge for admission! Most of the "clubs" with Acts will charge more, but the prices are fairly similar across the board in the same type of venue.

Best Regards - Taggy
I'm afraid to say The Music Hall Pub in the Old Town is now closed and up for sale. :cry Will miss it, had some good night in there!

Best Regards - Taggy
I appreciate what you are saying taggy, being an ex - performer myself, I didn't work for free. Perhaps "ripped off" is pretty strong and I apologise if any offence has been taken but in their advert in the book, they do say "normal bar prices". Obviously it refers to bars with acts.
We were in Benidorm a couple of weeks ago and on the Sunday night saw and enjoyed the first act on in The Town. I thought he had been billed as ('Terry Dean ?) but later in the week we went back to see the Elderly Brothers of which he was one half and Dene Michael seemed to be referring to him as Ian. Can anyone confirm what name he uses when 'solo' on Sundays?
Another act which I think is good and really clever but have seldom seen mentioned on here is Martin Kent at the Palladium. We always make a point of trying to see his act and are never disappointed.
Tony Scott is another favourite of ours. Saw him late on the Sunday night at Zodiac and did not enjoy the act at all. Put it down to us being tired and an unreceptive audience but went to see him at Stardust later in the week and he was brilliant.
Another act we liked was Gary George. We had seen him on previous visits and thought he was OK but this time felt he had moved up a league and were disappointed not to have seen him again.
But back to original question - anyone tell me the name of the singer at the Town

Thanks
Helen
Taggy wrote:
I'm afraid to say The Music Hall Pub in the Old Town is now closed and up for sale. :cry Will miss it, had some good night in there!

Best Regards - Taggy

Aw that's a pity, we had a great night there at Xmas with Howard Kendall.

Do you know if the Two Palms is still open for business or what Chris and Barry are doing now?

luci :wave
eddieriff could you please tell me were the speedway bar is as i am over for 3 days in july for a stag do i my self have been involved in speedway for about 20years as a machanic and would love to pop in to this bar

thanks the fatboy
Hi Luci....Yep its a real shame, we've had some really good nights with Chris and Barry in there. I believe Howards missus had quite a few too!! Lol!! Chris sent me an email a couple of weeks back to let me know before we went out. He sounded a bit fed up to be honest. It provided such a different night to what you get elsewhere, and we liked going in just to have a natter with them, even if there was'nt enough people in to do a show. Yes they've still got the Two Palms Restaurant and Barry is working in there. Chris is working from home at the moment doing his digital re-mastering of old Gilbert and Sullivan recordings, which he says can be quite profitable. But at the moment, i dont think they've got too much planned on the Entertainment front. I know Chris was considering setting up a Theatre show, to take up and around the coast at various venues, but dont think anything is moving on that front at the moment. Barry has done a few individual bits of his own, including comparing a show at the Benidorm Palace featuring Danny La Rue. In fact i believe he got offered work with him in England as well, but did'nt really want to do that. He's still doing the weekly radio show with Vince Prince, which you can hear recorded versions of, via a pod cast on the Two Palms Website. We are hoping to have a meal with them, when we are over in July, depending on what Chris is upto then. Whether they might try to re-open the bar in the Winter if it does'nt sell before then, i'm not sure. Winter is usually the best time for them, but things were apparently desperately quiet this Winter. We managed to call in to see them one night in January, but there were 8 people in the bar all night, and 2 of those were us!! He shut the door late on and gave us a private performance on the "Uke" which was nice. So its all a bit sad there i'm afraid. I just hope something may happen to force a turn around, but it does'nt look too hopefull at the moment.

Best Regards - Taggy
  • Edited by Taggy 2008-05-19 18:05:50
No probs fatboy. It's on the Avenida Del Periodista y Escritor Emelio Romero which is a street between the Avenida Medeterraneo and Calle Gerona. It's just about opposite Funlandia on the Avenida Med. Chris has a working Jawa, recently rebuilt and tuned I think, by Scott Nicholl's old man. If you have any spare (keep the rare ones to yourself) progs, Chris will be keen to take them off your hands. I've supported the Newcastle Diamonds since1963 so I was quite interested in the stuff he had.
Thanks for the info Taggy. We went to the Two Palms twice for a meal even though we were full board at our hotel. Will go back again in November if it's still open.

luci :wave
No Probs Luci....I'm certain the Two Palms will still be running ok then. I dont know if you've had the Lamb Kleftico on the specials board there, but if not, i definately reccomend it...delicious!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Cheers eddieriff will pop in i spent 1 season at newcastle in 90s as a machanic for scott lamb when he had a season there machanic for scott all his carrier it was good times

thanks again the fatboy
Yes they did have a bad winter at the music Hall,they were only open 1 or 2 nights a week,but the same at the Two Palms,we went about 4 times on different nights in March for a meal and was always closed!!,was so looking forward to trying it after all the good reviews,problems with one of the chefs leaving,and trying to get a replacement!.
Hi, I am travelling to benidorm with my husband just for a weekend away, and have read many reviews and everyone seems to recomend the square to go to for the bars, but was wondering if any on could tell me if this is any where the ambassador playa hotel in the lavante end as we have never neen here befor.
Any help would be great thank you!!!

Lisa x.
Hi Lisa, the square is only a 5 minute walk from the Ambassador Playa and a 10 minute stagger home. :rofl :rofl

Sue :)
hi liza did you get a good price for your weekend away as i have been looking for 2 adults and 2 kids and its coming in at nearly a £1000 .. hence thinking now off going to blackpool instead
Ryanholly, it's a matter of taste but I don't recommend the square. Yes, there's lots of bars (as there are elsewhere) but you get pestered with the touts and it can be a pain if you can't handle it; I can and did.
but you get pestered with the touts and it can be a pain if you can't handle it; I can and did.

I agree that the square is not to everyones taste but to put someone off by saying that the touts are a pain and that you need to be able to handle it is a bit strong I.M.O.

I could say "I can" but I really don't think that it's a real issue. A polite no is all that is needed, thanks but no thanks and that's it.

I do agree that there are more entertaining bars than the ones in the square but each to their own, if Lisa and her hubby fancy trying it out then why not? I really don't think that they should be put off by the touts, I don't think that they are intimidating whatsoever.

Sue :)
Thank you everyone for your help!!! I dont mind touts at all coz they are only doing a job. We just really dont know where to go as we have never been b4 and we are only there fri, sat and sun night, so dont really want to be wasting valuable drinking time...lol. but we are not really looking for bars with elvis and meat loaf and such like... Im definatley not saying there is anything wrong with them but just not our taste.

Thank you very much!!!

Lisa x.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.