General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Thanks for that Sanji, I've just rung and ordered one! What a brilliant idea. I do have one at home, but I figured this one could plug in the kitchen and then I can take it on holiday with me. Thanks again, Linda x
I have just had a look on Ebay and you can buy a CO detector for about £13, including P & P . Then all you have to do is buy a cheap UK to continental adaptor for about £2 and you will end up with the same thing but saving a few pounds.
Ummm, I looked on e-bay before I sent for this one.
Some are battery type and none gave the decibel rating of the alarm, which is one of the most important features to consider.

This one has up to 85 dB alarm...it gets louder as the carbon monoxide gets stronger.
If you can find the same cheaper, then fair enough :wink:

sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
they have them in diy shops starting from £5 approx.
I think those £5 detectors are just a paper strips which change colour when CO is present. There is (of course) no audible alarm.
Thanks Sanji, i think everyone should take one of these on holiday and have one fitted at home too.

thanks for bringing it to our attention

Emma x
I think those £5 detectors are just a paper strips which change colour when CO is present

Those paper strips are cr@ppo and are as much use as a bucket with an hole in it. :lol: tried them years ago.

The best carbon monoxide detectors are the ones that run from the mains, but also have a battery back-up, but the price reflects that added safety feature, and apart from sensing the carbon monoxide, the decibel rating of the alarm is one feature to take note of.
One on E-bay with a battery back-up was around £60....but a battery back-up is only as good as the battery. :wink:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiii
pardon me for speaking,
i only said carbon monoxide detectors start from approx £5,i did,nt say they are the best.
i think all members should be able to comment on a post if they wish,and not have other members thinking they no better all the time.
i find this a lot on holiday truths,normally the same members who think they no it all,so i don't join in as many disscussions as i would like to because of those people.
I can't see any detremental comments made in this topic - had there been then I would have already taken action :wink:

Please keep it friendly guys and don't let this thread go off topic.

Thanks

MarkJ HT Mod
What's your problem here.?
You did say Carbon Monoxide detectors start around £5, which is true.
Trisantona said they are only the strips without an audible alarm.
I said, having tried them years ago they are crappo and I based that statement on the fact that you need an audible alarm to arouse you from either sleep or when slipping into a state of unconsciousness.

I couldn't care less where anyone buys a detector from, I just want them to buy one especially if they are going S/C for their holidays, and I want them to buy one that will wake them up.

I wasn't particularly looking for a debate, and if you are referring to me, I didn't even quote you.
Jaysus, you can't do right from wrong on here at times. :roll:

Sanji
Sanji

Thanks for jogging my memory - I wanted to get one that was not battery operated as I am a so and so for borrowing batteries for the kids games.

Have phoned and ordered one - ideal for home and to pop into the suitcase! Brilliant posting :D

Cheers again

Ali x
Update...
I received this letter this morning .

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5046/lettersn0.jpg
Here is the new advert and code for this product.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4646/conewqb1.th.jpg

Click on image to enlarge.
Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Lol Sanji, I got a mini statement while out shopping today and couldn't for the life of me think where the £2+ came from! Now I know lol. Thanks for the info.........can't wait for mine to arrive...Linda x
I sent off a cheque for one of these on 16th April. Has anyone any idea how long it takes to arrive ?
Ordered mine on 2nd April, and it arrived on Wednesday. There was a note in saying the demand had been very high, and sorry for the delay. Linda.
If you have a branch of Boyes near you they are selling a mains-powered CO detector for about £15.00. This goes by the brand name "Proteam". I bought one of these models from Ebay for the same price and it is very good, with an alarm output of >85dB
Looks like a great deal Sanji
Thanks Linda. It seems to be about 3 weeks then. They haven't presented the cheque yet. Hope it got there :(
As I thought, this offer is overpriced. As I wrote above, you can buy exactly the same product from Ebay or Boyes for £14.99. If you don't believe me, just have a look at today's Times travel section. They are giving five of these units away in a competition and the article states that they are "worth £14.99".

OK, the offer does include a continental adaptor, but you can buy these for a £1 each.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.