Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I bought one so that I can take my own,I haven't seen one in any hotel that I have been to.
Cant say i have seen them in either Greece or Cyprus

yasus
wizard
Thank you I will make sure I pack one when I come to Cyprus in June, Well worth the space in my suitcase, It's better safe than sorry. I wish our family had been Carbon Monoxide aware in 2006. It is now my lifes work making sure others are aware of the danger of this toxic gas and dont have to face the heartache our family are suffering.

I just can't believe hotels dont take this inexpensive precaution to protect their clients.

Air conditioning is as dangerous as fuel burners. Until the powers that be protect us, it is up to each of us to protect ourselves by taking a detector with us when on holiday either abroad or in our own country.
Why is aircon as bad as a gas burning heater ? Aircon runs off electric like a fridge ?
It is dangerous I have the link for you but I don't think I would be allowed to post it on here. can anyone let me know if I am allowed.

Other wise do a google search ( Two die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Thessaloiki ) I have not intention of scaring anyone just of keeping as many people safe as possible.

So many people do not know the full facts or how easy it is to protect yourselves if you are aware of the danger.
I don't think there will be a problem in posting the link Ingrid.
I too would be interested, as I am sure, would other members.
Thanks
Apparently I have not done enough posts to allow my to post links so here goes the full report

http://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsid=762

** Edit - I have replaced the quoted text with a link as content from another website may not be reproduced due to copyright reasons. luci HT Mod **
Ingrid I've googled to see if something was mentioned about aircon and it isn't ? I know a little about plumbing and how aircon works and I can't see what a carbon monoxide detector would protect you from when related to aircon systems ? If you have a link or other information please post it otherwise people are being misinformed and needlessly being scared of aircon systems. :que
I agree with you Askye I have tried to contact you via pm and tried to leave a link but it wont let me as you can understand I dont want to put on a public forum what has happened to us re the dangers of carbon monoxide

And to be fair and so not to frighten people, the only evidence I can find is if the air conditioning system is placed close to a malfunctioning Gas water heater the fumes can be drawn in by the air conditioning system. Now I know this senario is very rare but until I know my family are taking no risk at all I will take a detector with me.

Generators

"¢Always locate the unit outdoors on a dry surface, away from doors, windows, vents and air-conditioning equipment that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
"¢Follow the instructions that come with your generator. Position the unit outdoors and away from doors, windows, vents and air conditioning equipment that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

Thankyou for helping me make this case clear my friend, as a plumber I'm sure you see the benifits of detectors for apartments ect that have hot water boiler houses or gas cooking appliances. So many people are ignorant of the possible dangers. as we were.
Luci I am so sorry I have only just read your post about copyright, as you can tell I'm not the quickest on a pc, thank you for your help. x
CM monitors are only necessary if you have an appliance burning fossil fuels that is, badly installed or badly maintained, A/C units are run from electricity so no problems there, A few cases over the years involving A/C have been,where the fresh air input [used on some systems] is sited too close to a flue vent, but as most modern systems are of the re-circulated and refrigerated [self contained] type, again no problems, UNLESS you have an apartment with a GAS burner [stove/oven] as these are not vented to the outside world and rely on the oxygen in the room for combustion and disperse their spent gas by-products in the room, BRITS are particularly susceptible to this set up as they mainly insist on A/C [which usually will only work with doors and windows shut] not allowing fresh air to circulate..

yasus
wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.