Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I would imagine that it will probably also vary from resort to resort, not just between Islands.

I've found that it's often the busier resorts that are a bit better as they is more competition for customers and will have cheaper prices/special offers on.
Well, although it was 5 yrs. ago, but maybe it hasn`t changed so much. And what is also important the island is beautiful (maybe it seems to me `cause it was my 1st island I visited, so something like "first love").

Dudi
It really does vary from place to place.
We went SC in Kefalonia for 2 weeks last year and it cost us just over a £1000 for all food & drink, 3 days car hire, diving, 2 ferry trips and entrance in caves etc.
The year before that we went to Halikidiki and it cost us less (although we didn't hire a car)
In general if you eat and drink along the seafront etc you'll pay more as they tend to be more popular places. Keep to back streets and you'll find the prices a lot different.
I think mainland Greece is cheaper than the Islands, we a couple spent 600E in Parga and we had full breakfast everyday lunch and evening meals and we like to eat and drink very well, all water Taxis and presents to bring home, newspapers and all sunbeds and umberellas for the week and of couse the Train to Ali Pashas castle and all other minor bits when ones away.
Also Pelion on the other side of mainland is reasonable maybe cheaper than Parga, but more to do in Parga.
We have just returned from 2 weeks in Lesvos which we felt was very reasonable. We had 28 meals out, the 2 most expensive were 50e inc. the tip, we also had wine with most meals. Total spend was 1020e which included 1 weeks car hire and petrol.
hi,we,ve just got back from paleochora on crete.large amstel/mythos on draught varied between 1.5-3 euros average price 2 euros,about£1.40p.meals for 2 includin a couple of drinks apiece ranged from 20-30 euros all in inc tip.
We did our first trip to the mainland in May stayed in Stoupa in the Pelopponese it was the cheapest holiday we've had for years and I like a drink or two, and we eat out breakfast, dinner, evening but prices were excellent.Lindos Rhodes one of the dearer places but absolutely love the place I just forget the cost and enjoy.
Rick.
We love Kefalonia but must admit it is becoming a very expensive Island but since the Euro has been introduced to Greece most places have change prior to the Euro we always thought Corfu was the cheapest there last year prices not too bad but be wary of the rip off merchants.
pojo
We love Kefalonia but must admit it is becoming a very expensive Island but since the Euro has been introduced to Greece most places have change prior to the Euro we always thought Corfu was the cheapest there last year prices not too bad but be wary of the rip off merchants.
pojo
I've been to Corfu (Sidari), Zante (Argassi) and Halkidiki (Hanioti) in the last two years and Corfu was definately the cheapest for eating out. Most restaurants there had special set menus on every night - choice of starter, main course and desert for between 7 and 12 Euros depending on where you went. We paid between 3 and 5 euros for breakfast.

Drinks prices were roughly the same in all three resorts. Stick to the local beers (especially the Mythos) and spirits and you'll be laughing.

Steve
I have recently visited Naxos, Corfu, Santorini and Pelion and the resort of Perissa on Santorini was by far the cheapest for eating out. I also hired a car there at half the price charged on some islands.
We visited Samos last year and found it to be far cheaper than either Zante or Kefalonia. It may be because there are far few tourists there as not many operators go to Samos.

Also we found that in many restaurants you got fruit after your main course at no charge!! Certainly didn't get that in Kefalonia. One restaurant that we went to several times was always very busy with tourists and locals alike but was the cheapest and the best.
Pippa
Pippa, were you in Pnaka? There`s beautiful small taverna in that small village resort, on the north part of an island. We were on Samos 7 days and even 3 night spent there....THE BEST place on Samos!!! In the middle of the taverna there`s a natural spring with fresh, cold water!!!

Dudi
We stayed at the Ino Village on the outskirts of Samos Town - Kalami in fact. The restaurant was down on the beach - Gargou Beach? About 10 minutes walk from the hotel down some very steep slopes!

Would go back tomorrow but for the fact that an accident has left me with slight walking problems and pavements in Greece are few and far between. Hope to go back in a couple of years.

Pippa
On our last visit to Kefalonia in June we went to the same restaurant everynight as we know him so well maybe that is why every night we got fresh figs wine or melon, but people who were there for the first time aalso experience the fresh fruit as they were not sure what to do with the fresh figs
pojo
Pojo, which taverna is that you visited every night? I suppose very good...
Where can I find a good giros pita (especially in Argostoli)? I love the other food of course (mousaka, briam, kleftiko, stifado...everything with vegie and lamb!!!).
Dudi
Hi Dudi, it's Zorba's in Lixouri it's off the main road, and if you go tell Thanasis Yanni and Paula have recommended it, when we go in SEptember he climbs the tree in his restaurant as it is outside, and gives me fresh pomegrantites which are wonderful and earlier in the year I am always given a gardenia really wonderful beautiful people and why we return so often.pojo
Thanks, than I`ll go there.

Dudi
We stayed just outside Pythagorion on Samos second 2 weeks of july our dearest meal for four was 56 euros and we supposidly pushed the boat out we all had 3 course meal and drinks.
on this holiday we took about £1700 this payed for food out every lunch time, and night time breakfast was in the apt`s, airconditioning and car hire and i still have 280 euro`s to take with me when i go to my parents in spain next week.
personally i dont think prices in greece have gone up as much as in part of spain!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.