Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I am not sure when you were there but the Magic Monica hotel is not closed.
It opened a few weeks ago as there are recent reviews on Trip Advisor.
Have a look and see if it was open during your stay and write to On the Beach again.
It wasn't open at the time, we were dropped off outside and the whole place was like a ghost town, we were informed it had been closed since the September when we didn't book till October,
I'm confused because you say Jumbo had been trying to contact OTB to notify them of the change, but then you say the hotel said OTB authorised the change on your behalf. One of those is obviously incorrect.

I'm not sure they have "totally breached the Supply of goods and service Act 1982" as they weren't the supplier, and you didn't have a contract with them. OTB advertise products for sale, should they be available. Jumbo should have made it unavailable, and when OTB contacted them about booking it, they shouldn't have sold it to them.

They've offered you 20%, plus have said to send them telephone bills/ receipts/bank/credit card statements detailing the costs incurred. You don't think it's a fair offer, so what do you think is fair? If you want to go back to OTB you need to tell them what you want, and be able to justify it.

Oh the joys of using shonky OTAs to book elemental holidays :yikes
Sorry,I thought you have been there recently as when we were in Benidorm in April the Magic Villa Benidorm was closed.
I once had a holiday from hell with Jumbo tours and had to get a travel solicitor who helped members on here to sort it out..
I would agree if you are not happy with their offer go back to them and tell them what you would be happy with.

Personally I always feel letters of complaint are more effective if they are short and to the point. As said when you book with an OTA such as onthebeach your contract is not with them it is with their various suppliers, but they appear to be dealing with your complaint so it is worth pursuing it if you want a bit more.
Thank u for ur replies, we were there on the 10th May for 4 nights, we paid £312 each and spent a good while choosing our location and hotel, the fact the hotel we ended up in was the complete opposite of what we had booked surely entitles us to more compensation than £30 each, I booked it all so feel responsible to the other ladies to try and get them something back, we all had such a horrid time it just seems unfair that this is allowed to happen.
Nicnaks wrote:
I managed to find the number for Jumbo Travel, I called them and got through straight away, they informed me that my booking had been changed and that they had also been trying to get through to yourselves to inform of the change,

Reply from On The Beach
Dear ----,

Many thanks for your recent comments regarding your holiday.

I am sorry you are disappointed with the service received from us. It was not our intention to cause you any upset and disappointment upon arrival at the hotel or for the duration of your stay. We of course want all our customer’s to enjoy their holiday.

Firstly, I would like to advise, the operational change was administered was from the hotel directly due to a hotel closure. I am sure that you can appreciate changes of this nature are above and beyond our control and as a booking agent we are bound by the decision of the hotel providers which On The Beach Holidays cannot be held responsible for hotel changes.
However, regrettably on rare occasions something can go wrong which disrupts these arrangements. This may be down to a fault with the local agent or an administration problem on our part which is due simply to human error.
Unfortunately, it would appear that an administrative error did occur in this instance and the hotel change was not sent to you. I would therefore like to express our sincerest apologies for the obvious inconvenience and distress caused.

We are keen to restore your faith in On The Beach Holidays and the services we provide. Therefore, having regard for all that you have said, we are happy to offer you 20% refund of the hotel, namely £176.20.
I have passed your documents to the finance department for them to authorise the refund for you. Please visit the manage your booking section on our website, within 3-5 working days and follow the instructions on the screen to claim your refund.

Furthermore, we would respectfully request that you provide us with copies of telephone bills/ receipts/bank/credit card statements detailing the cost incurred whilst on holiday, this will enable us to investigate the extra costs incurred in full. Please send this information to the address below;
On The Beach
Park Square
Bird Hall Lane
Cheadle
SK3 0XN

Once again, I am sorry for any upset this has caused you but I do hope that despite this issues raised you still had an enjoyable holiday and will consider booking with us again.

Kind Regards,

name removed
Customer Feedback Advisor
On The Beach

Were Jumbo trying to contact you or OTB , when you say trying to contact yourselves ??

Anyway , OTB in their letter say that " an administrative error did occur in this instance and the hotel change was not sent to you " Sorry , sorry , blah blah blah , Once again sorry , hope you had an enjoyable holiday ( despite the impromptu and questionable " entertainment " ( not sure which smilies to use here !! ) please book again ! As the one part we were responsible for , we didn't bother doing " sorry "

I'd ask for more , they have admitted an error and said sorry quite a few times , and you didn't get what you were expecting , and getting things that you weren't expecting !!!
Nicnaks wrote:
Thank u for ur replies, we were there on the 10th May for 4 nights, we paid £312 each and spent a good while choosing our location and hotel, the fact the hotel we ended up in was the complete opposite of what we had booked surely entitles us to more compensation than £30 each, I booked it all so feel responsible to the other ladies to try and get them something back, we all had such a horrid time it just seems unfair that this is allowed to happen.

You didn't pay £312 each for the hotel though, and only the hotel costs count when it comes to compensation.
As before, if you're not happy, you need to go back to them and tell them what you will be happy with, but you have to be able to justify that figure.
6 people @ £312 = £1872
20% of hotel cost offered as refund = £176 , so total hotel cost were £880
( Flights and transfers equate to just under £1000 , which is about right )
I think to aim for a higher % age refund , after seeing what extra costs you have incurred that they are promising to investigate turn out to be ( whether they refund all those ) .

Still trying to understand the logic and common sense of jumbo or dumbo or whoever they are dropping off 6 women at a closed down hotel !!
Jumbo sent us to a resort that was closed for the winter and to a hotel that resembled a building site!
Thankfully Ros Fernihough took them on and got our hotel costs back for us.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.