Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I can only comment on the Conrad :wink:

I've been twice (just returned) and will definitely be going there agin. You can read my review HERE and see my Conrad pics HERE....great (and easy to access) snorkelling guaranteed! Posts from my recent holiday HERE.

Transfer is included with First Choice/Eclipse. Check both for holiday prices as Eclipse are often cheaper, we always book with Eclipse for that reason.

Pippy :D
Thanks Pippy,
Glad you had fab holiday and were able to meet up with your friends from HT. Sorry to hear about the problems with the mini-bar and the broken rib - I hope its more comfortable now!

I had already checked out your reviews and pics (from the last time at Conrad too) and it does look good. It looks from the photos that, unlike hotels in Sharks Bay, you don't have hundreds of steps down to the beach - such a killer in the heat! Your room position seemed ideal - had you upgraded to a premium room?

Eclipse is cheaper than First Choice but the cost can be reduced by further £30 by clicking the 'make own arrangement' button in transfer section hence question about taxis.

I'm meeting my friend today to discuss our holiday options - last year we left it too late and ended up in Center Parcs for the weekend. Still great but not the same as snorkelling in the Red Sea!
Hi Caro

Rib still very painful but bearable thanks :wink: The mini-bar business was very annoying but was sorted to our satisfaction, so long as you take my advice you shouldn't have any problems.

To have a chance of being allocated rooms 3131 and 3132 you'd need to book premium rooms. We also had those two rooms in 2005 so I emailed the hotel (several times!) and also mentioned Holiday Truths (well, worth a go!) and requested the same two rooms. They're in such an ideal location.

I know a taxi from the hotel to Naama Bay costs about £5, not sure about the cost to/from the airport. I imagine you'd be charged extra for luggage though and you're definitely charged extra for having the air conditioning on in the taxi. Worth investigating though.

No, there are no steps from hotel to beach other than those leading from the pool or some of the rooms (about fifteen steps I guess). You can avoid these steps by taking the sloping walkway though.

Access to the sea for shallow swimming, paddling or sitting on the little sea chairs (absolutely heavenly in the hot weather!) is easy, you just walk straight in. For snorkelling the access is via the jetty, also easy.

Snorkelling is amazing! My boyfriend bought me an underwater housing for my camera just before I went away and as you can see from the photos (I added more last night by the way) I put it to very good use! I just didn't know where to point the camera next as I was surrounded by fish!
Although I can swim well I do tend to panic if my mask or snorkel fill with water, hence the life-jacket. I bought it during the second week and it made me feel far more confident and able to stay out for much longer. If my mask or snorkel sprung a leak i just rolled over onto my back and emptied them!

As I'm sure you can tell I absolutely love this hotel and cannot wait to return!

Just to add, I was speaking to another guest at the Conrad who has also stayed at the CSR. They loved their stay there but said the Conrad cannot be beaten for it's beach (they've stayed at other hotels in Sharm too) and house reef.

I'd also like to mention that none of us had upset stomachs other than the girls having very mild diarrhoea (not bad enough for them to stop eating or take to their beds).
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I love snorkelling too and so nearly missed out. When we were in Sharm 3 years ago didn't think I'd like it so the children made me practise in the pool first - ideal because I could put my feet down until I'd gained in confidence. When we're in Hurghada unfortunately we have to take a snorkelling boat but its always a wonderful day out anyway! My friend has never snorkelled before so this particular hotel seems idea especially if you can access the water without having to use the jetty if she doesn't like snorkelling! Can life jackets be hired at the hotel or can you buy them there - if so how much are they? Many thanks, Caro
Both Caro. Aquarius Diving have a hut on the beach from where you can book boat trips, water sports (banana boat rides included :? ), snorkelling trips etc.
They also hire out equipment including life-jackets. My daughter Nats used one a couple of times when we wanted to snorkel beyond the roped off area off the house reef in case she got tired. They charge £1.50 (LE150).

I bought my life-jacket, as well as all our inflatables, at the Baron hotel shops. I haggled for the life-jacket....original price LE140, my price LE80! I also haggled for the inflatables. We initially bought one, a rubber ring, on sale at LE80, I paid LE60. The following day I bought a li-lo and a ring for the girls, paid LE110 for the two.

If you were going to snorkel every day you'd be better buying one like I did, it fit easily into my case and is very light. We left the inflatables there though, found a family with kids and gave them to them. I recommend buying the rubber rings, we all had great fun on them!

The Baron hotel is the next hotel along, just a short walk along the beach or walkway.

If your friend wanted to have a go at snorkelling in the shallows there are still fish to see there, right up to edge of the water.

One of the guys who works at the Aquarius Diving hut took the girls and I on a guided snorkelling trip! He just asked if we'd like to go with him outside the house jetty area to see even more fish so we said 'yes please'!
He took us to find Nemo, he knew exactly where he was too! He also took some of the underwater pics for me as he was able to dive down (he didn't wear a snorkel, just a mask), you can tell which ones are his as they're closer.
He didn't ask for any money for doing this but I gave him £3 as he was out for ages with us, at least an hour! I'll try and find a photo of him in case you go :wink:
Thanks Pippy, will show this thread and the pics to my friend when she gets here!

There are definately no fears about visibility with those jackets on, lol! Your 'snorkel buddy' shows a typical example of wonderful Egyptian hospitality, though I expect you found, as I did that it helps to have a pretty daughter with you!!!
You're so right, the Egyptians are by far the most hospitable nation I've ever encountered, what great people they are! And yes, I'm sure having Nats and her friend with us helped! :lol: :lol:
Really excited - just booked Conrad and got the last 2 seats on the flight, phew!!!
Oh that's great Caro! I'm really excited for you! What date are you going and for how long?
18th Oct for 7 days...should be hot but not too hot..

By the way when we booked it said 'double room'. The description of the rooms said standard rooms have 2 beds so a bit confused..we are close friends but not that close if you know what I mean... Thought we would book anyway to ensure we got there (knew they were last seats on flight) and sort it out later if necessary. Do you have the email address for the hotel so I could check this please. Many thanks, Caro
I use this email address for the hotel...

Waleed.Bahgat@conradhotels.com

They may not reply first time so keep on pestering them and it wouldn't hurt to put Holiday Truths in the subject heading to get their attention, I did!
I think I put something along the lines of 'rooms and holiday truths forum' in my subject heading. They are aware how many people turn to HT for advice and they know how often I recommend the hotel so you could mention my name and recent stay too.

I've only seen two rooms and both had a double bed but they are absolutely huge! You could comfortably fit three adults in one of them! If when you arrive you find it's a double bed and you'd rather not share then I'm sure they'd add another bed if you asked.

I was originally going to be going on holiday with a girl friend of mine and we were going to share the big bed as I knew how much space there would be!
Hi Pip
Been following your stay at the Conrad as we go in less than two weeks - yippee!!
We are a family of 4, me, hubby and two kids (age 3 and 1) . When we booked we "up graded" to a double room, to ensure king size bed etc. Are the rooms large to take a k/s bed, second bed and a cot?
Really excited and a bit aprehensive about going.. Is the hotel suitable for younger children? Are there high chairs available in the restaurant? Is the pool ok for kiddies?

I just want it to be a superb family holiday (which i think it will!!).
Thanks,
Nessie
:lol:
Hi Nessie

The rooms we had were large enough to take a king size bed and a single bed, I'm sure a cot would have also been ok although possibly a little cramped. If you look at the last few photos HERE you'll get an idea of room size. Unless you're planning on spending alot of time in your room it shouldn't be a problem :wink:

There is a section of the pool for younger children and the beach is also very safe for them as the sea is very shallow, particularly at low tide. We saw lots of families with young children and they appeared to be having a good time!

I'm not sure about high chairs, I honestly didn't notice. It's been so long since I had to think about things like that, mine are 16 and 18! I'm sure if you email the hotel they'll be able to tell you. As I said to Caro though, keep sending them as they may not reply immediately. I sent about three a week! :lol:

One thing I'm sure your three year old will love is skidding down the slopes in the hotel lobby! I certainly did! :lol: Do be careful, the floors are highly polished and can be quite slippery.

The staff will give your children lots of attention, of that you can be sure!

:lol: Thanks Pippy

I will email the hotel, the room will be for sleeping etc as we plan to spend as much time outside, enjoying the egyptian weather. I am sooooo looking forward to seeing some sun!!!

Sliding down the slippy corridor sounds like fun, especially after a few cocktails.. that me not the three year old.. :wink:

Hope your rib gets better soon.. :wink:
Nessie
Pippy

Thanks for your help and the email addy. If it wasn't for me checking to see if the transfer cost changed according to the number of passengers I wouldn't have realised there were only 2 seats left on the plane and would have left it too late. The booking did not go through properly online so I had to phone Eclipse to sort it out - I was in a bit of a panic! The girl I spoke to said she had booked the hotel for her mother in 3 weeks time so thats another recommendation. Sure I will have loads of questions for you eg do they provide beach towels etc so when I have some spare time will go through all your posts to find some of the answers!

Nessie
Hope you have a good holiday, sure you will. Egyptians are really good with children.
You're welcome Caro :wink:

Yes they do provide both beach and pool towels, good sized ones too. We tipped the beach towel guys a few times, just very small tips, and we were often given a second towel later on once all the beds were full and towels given out!
We were also given the same spot on the beach every day, right in front of the towel guys so we felt quite safe leaving all our stuff there while we were in the sea.

You may be better posting further questions in the Conrad thread :wink:
So glad you're sorted! I want to come with you now!

Thanks for the help Pippy. Will try to post on the Conrad thread to keep stuff all together :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.