General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I used to be an avid sunbather, reading a book and baking in the sun all day. I stopped many years ago but unfortunately not soon enough, now my skin is damaged due to too much sun. I haven't really had a beach holiday for many years now prefering touring or walking/sightseeing holidays and as I am now retired I can choose to go away at times when the heat isn't so oppresive. On the rare occasions when I do sit in the sun I slap on high factor protection and a wide brimmed hat but after a short time I move into the shade where I'm quite happy to sit reading a book, I really can't stand sitting in the baking sun for long. I think a Siesta is a good idea, if you must roast in the sun at least do what the locals do and give yourself a break when the sun is at it's hottest.
WE do need a certain amount of sunshine each day on our skins but prolonged exposure even with high factor protection is damaging to our skins.
Being a redhead no its not advisable for me :rofl On saying that though I could not even if I wanted to. When it gets to much or to hot for me I tend to sit in the shade or we go to the room and listen to music or read. Do not have a daytime nap though, otherwise I would never sleep in the evening :(
No, the only time I am in the sun is when I am walking around and even then I have a big hat, sunglasses and factor 50 and I still go red! The rest of the time I go under a tree or some where shady. I love lying around in the warm, reading or watching the world go by but cannot cope with full sun.
I do try to get out of the sun during the hotest periods, otherwise I might turn too pink :rofl , but I don't like to lay in the sun all day, I like to do differents things, and maybe either start the day having a lay or end up having a lay but not usually all day :cheers
I am usually underwater :rofl

in between dives, I do like to sit on the top deck of the boat...but I find it difficult to actually sit still. I usually have a book to read..or I am preparing for the next dive..the boat is usually moving to another dive site.

When not on a diving holiday, we are usually out walking or visiting somewhere..so I suppose we are out in the sun alot then..but I am always lathered up with high factor sun cream as I burn lobster red otherwise...I seem to go from white to red with no shades of brown in between!!
We are out in the sun for most of the day, but we grab a parasol in the morning to hide under when the sun gets too fierce. I am always on to the kids to top up sun cream as they are always in and out of the pool. I find it hard to be down at the beach all day, at least by the pool you can have a dip in the pool to cool down now and then. I won't go in the sea ever! By about 4pm we have all had enough and go back to the room and chill out with the aircon for an hour before getting ready for the night out.
Same as Rachincov. Will be out all day from early (well, 9am ish) and daughter will be in and out of pool all day. We tend to grab a parasol or buy an umbrella so that we can shade ourselves during the hottest part of the day and so that I can make daughter sit in the shade periodically. We usually head back to our apartment for about 4pm ish to shower off and chill our for a couple of hours. The only difference is that I do love the sea so dont mind the beach in the slightest.

Always use high factor sun creams and im very OCD about covering daughter up, will make her wear a hat ALL day and (much to her disgust :roll: oh the fashion conscious :) ) will make her put a tshirt on over her cossie at around midday for the next few hours. Its a pain having to carry 2 or 3 of each around (so that they can be changed when wet and dried out), but it ensures that head, neck and shoulders are not constantly exposed.
When our kids were little we used to get them rash vests from water sports shops. They dry very quickly and are more comfortable in the water than T shirts and come up higher on the neck. They also had hats with flaps to cover their necks also swimming shorts to cover their thighs. We used to return to our rooms after lunch for a snooze and then stay on the beach longer in the evening. We still tend to do that now and I love lying on the beach when the sun loses it's heat a bit and goes all golden, my favourite time of the day on holiday
We tend to be on the sunbed early, and will lie for an hour or so in the sun, but once 11 am comes we are under the umbrella, or having a drink & game of cards, until around 3pm, when we come out into the sun again. I love the water, so am in and out of pool/sea at least a dozen times during the day, to cool off. We usually go back to the room around 3.30 - 4 o'clock. Hubby will always have a sleep, while I sit on the balcony, with a coffee, before starting preparing for the evening around 5.30.
If the weather looks good, (after peeping through the curtains on waking) hubby goes down and bags a sunbed, (I know some may think you shouldn't do that but needs must!!)
We will have breakfast and then do some sun bathing, have a drink at the pool bar around 11ish or go to another bar, back to the pool, and under the brolly if it's too hot then up to the room around 4.30 for a nice drink on the balcony and like Helens hubby mine also has a siesta and I will read by book. Get showered and dressed ready for the evening. :tup.....Caz
I love to start the day around 8.30ish by getting a sunbed and relaxing for a half hour or so before breakfast. On the days we're not going to the beach or doing a day trip I spend all of my time sunbathing and jumping in and out of the pool. We will have a break from the sun when we go for lunch and I'll put the unbrella up at around 2pm for some shade for an hour or so. When we've had enough of the sun at around 4ish we head back to the room where hubby'll have a siesta and I'll have a read until we shower and change for the evening.
yes and yes..reason why we go peak season Im a sun worshipper yes its bad for you, however you only live once and I only have one holiday a year and my skin is cryin out for some hot weather its dreadful in manchester..sick of cold damp and wet weather...I will sunbathe normally from 10 - 4ish,unless we are out on trips, etc..and I tan quite easily..especially with my tan accelarator.. :sun2
I've never tried a sunbed. Too much else to do, places to go, people to see.
no thank you. I am not a sunbather, it bores me, I'm a very much a curious person not a person who likes to lay in the sun. Makes me different to most but different strokes for different folks and all that
Hi
I couldnt lie in the sun all day like some who dont seem to move from 8-30 til 6 at night. I dont know how they do it
I like to laze on a sunbed, but need shade when it starts to head for midday.
I can just about manage the heat doing nothing, but to walk around in the heat is certainly a no no for me...I end up looking like Bertie Beetroot much to the amusement of my partner :rofl
M
depending what the plan is , i usually go and get the sunbeds after i have showered and had a coffee , hubby joins me about 11ish when we go for a late breakfast , and then its back to the sunbed a bit of reading and in and out of the pool, we are naughty sometimes and leave the sunbed with our stuff and go for a walk about 3 come back about 5 and have a swim dry off , go back to room where we ahave a coffee and a read on the balcony hubby might have a nap , then we get ready for the evening and leave the room about 7.30 to 8 . If we are going out on trips then we dont use the swimming pool or sunbeds at all on those days .
I used to lie in the sun all day, loved it and loved getting a really deep tan.For the last 10 years or so though, I find I'm bored and don't seem to stand the heat the same as I used to. I just pop in and out of the shade now, still read a book on the lounger but have to take a break often, I still get a nice tan though.
Not any more! I used to love sitting in the sun all day but now I have children I don't want them in the sun when it is the middle of the day so we usually go inside for a couple of hours. My husband and the girls have a sleep and I usually read on the balcony with a cold drink, although sometimes I will go and sit by the pool and have a swim, depending how hot it is.
We usually go to the pool around 9ish. We get a sunbed hopefully with a parasol and sit for 1/2 hr and read with a coffee, then make our way over to get breakfast between 9.30-10am. We do spend most of the day by the pool or beach but make sure the kids have tee shirts and high spf lotion on. During midday and 3pm we try and sit in the shade and keep the kids shaded although with a pool in sight that proves nigh on impossible :D We go back to apartment around 4.30, i usually sit on balcony and kids play psp, ds thingys then get showered ready to go out for a stroll and meal. I do love the sun and try and make the most of it as we dont get spoilt with it in the uk.

Bring on the holidays :sun2
Lily. x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.