Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I've added this hotel to our review site.

If anyone has stayed at the Sarge's hotel would you please add your review by Clicking Here

Many Thanks
Hi,

I am looking at going to the Gambia for the first time in February and am wondering where to stay. My husband is not too sure about the Gambia as he cant be doing with all the bumsters but I believe these are obviously more common in the main tourist areas so we would be looking for a fairly quiet area but within a taxi journey to a tourist area so he doesnt feel completely cut off (I dont know why he is so bothered as we usually holiday in the Maldives).

I have been trying to tell him about the wildlife, the birds and monkeys and he seems a little more interested (he loves wildlife) so we would need to be close to this.

I looked at Ganjur but think this may be too far off the beaten track for him. Has anyone been here? Is there anywhere to eat other than in the hotels? I was looking at Footsteps Eco Lodge, has anyone stayed there?

We dont mind basic accommodation but would like ensuite. As long as the hotel is clean, that is our main concern.

Any advice would be great. Thanks x
Have you checked out our review section HERE

There are some Gambian hotels that have been reviewed by our members.

Kath HT Admin
HI ALL,
AT last the authorities have come down hard on bumsters They are gone ,prostitutes hardly any, thankfully, as for bumsters they are rarer than snow in Gambia,
All IDs for black people are being checked at the Sennigambia checkpoint(I know its unfair)but its putting paid to the hassle in Sennigambia. thats on the few occasions I have been to change money
Watch out for short money being given at the exchanges always count what you are given they are short changing

be careful of kids in the exchanges they are trying to steal by distracting customers ,have them put out before opening your wallet
cheers maxie :D :D
**Edit to remove bold and caps - as per the rules of posting - Kath HT Admin**
We are going to Gambia Kombo Beach Hotel on Boxing day. The layest is that we have paid £340 for 4 persons supply of Malorone,£180 for yellow fever jabs and £100 for hep A jabs!!! I really feel the holiday companies should emphasis that this is what it will cost for the holiday . I have been before but as a single person then but i didn't realise just how much extra we would have to pay for just a week's holiday! Lets hope it comes up to Has anyone been at Xmas? I wasn't sure what clothes to take for the evening? :?:
The TOs are in a difficult position here because how much you are charged really depends on the attitude of your GP. For example I've only ever paid the standard prescription charge for Hep A, was advised that Yellow Fever wasn't necessary for The Gambia but only had to pay the standard presciption charge when I did need one for a trip (business not a holiday) and was advised to use a different, cheaper malaria prophylactic that could be had over the counter for less than the prescription would cost me.

SM
Yes I know some Docs cash in on this and I think that is a rip off and yes Iknow you can get cheaper anti malarials but they can have nasty side effects and only going for a week we don't want to be ill for the whole week! Also the MASTA travel clinic where I got them from said they couldnt split the packs up so as there are 4 of us going I had to buy 2 packs each even though I will be left with some 30 surplus tablets! Better go again to use them up!! HaHa! You are very lucky that you can get it reasonably cheaply.
Hi Alisonbass,

Did you try your GP first before going to MASTA? The thing about the MASTA clinics is that they are private ones and are not part of the NHS - they are a business and have a vested interest in selling you drugs. Not only that, they'll probably charge you a consultation fee as well - either openly or as part of what they charge for the drugs. That's how they make their profits for their shareholders. They can be good in emergencies or for short notice trips when they can often fit you in quickly and they have stocks of drugs that a GP or local pharmacy would have to order in.

But I would always prefer to use my local GP who has access to my medical records, knows exactly what medication I already take and why, and has no vested interest in selling me the most expensive option. My GP takes the view that it is better for the NHS to provide me with drugs/vaccinations on prescription than run the risk of me returning with something nasty and costing the NHS a whole lot more in the long run. I realise that perhaps not all GPs take this attitude but even if they are only willing to issue you with a private prescription rather than a NHS one, it is likely to be cheaper than going to a private clinic because you will only be paying the retail price for the drugs and vaccinations and not an additional mark-up to cover a private clinics overheads.

SM
I agree with SM. We paid 50 quid each for Yellow fever from a travel clinic but all other other jabs were free at our GPs. We were prescribed Doxycycling malaria tablets which I think were about 20 quid each on a private prescription. It's definitely worth shopping around!
We are going next week, we have paid £93.30 for Malarone for a weeks holiday. Thats one the day before you go the 7 days you are there and a week when you return, thats for both of us.
We are fortunate that out GP does not charge us for the Hep A. We had it last year and off for a booster on Weds to cover us for 10 yrs. Also the children get their maleria medication on NHS prescription and us on Private prescription. I always shop about the local chemists to find the best price and last year I saved over £60 just by making a few phone calls. However this year our friends in Italy sent us the anti-malerias as they get them for 1 Euro a piece.

I hope you have a good holiday, even though your pocket has been hurt.
The problem has been lessening over the last 8 yrs any how. I do hope however, that some of the lovely familiar faces and characters around the sennegambia area who i've got to know over the last 13 yrs don't disappear.
I've never stayed at Sarges (tafbel) but have visited there a few times. The location is good, right next to the Sennegambia hotel, and close to all amenities. Lots of nice restaurants close by. Would recommend the thai.

Have a nice time.
We have always stayed at Kololi Beach Club (not to be confused with Holiday Beach Club) It is private hire only so you would need to contact them through their website about hire charges etc. It is a fantastic place, very peaceful, supposed to be 5* but i'd put it more at 4*. Very clean and the staff are wonderful. Keep going back year after year so it must be good.

It is right opposite the Bilbao nature reserve too.
A firm no is enough.

Don't be put off by this, it's no different in most other african countries now, and it's far better than it used to be.
My children adore the Gambia.

And the previous poster was so right, take them to a local school. We did this last year, a group of friends sponsor this school every year and we took to the kids along to show them around. My son was very shocked by this building with a tin roof. No electronic white boards, or colourful walls. Just bare concrete walls and very few facilities. So much so this year he has been saving up his pocket money and we are taking some resources with us. Some alphabet, number and phonics posters, as well as other ones that his school has donated. Nice and light to carry and i'm sure they will be very grateful.

The beach is wonderful for the children and there is normally a footy match most afternoons. My children love to watch the fishmen scour through their nets and help throw the tiddlers back into the sea. The crocodile pool, and river trip should provide some great days out. And also some off road riding on buggys should entertain them. Horseriding is also available along the beach but I can't recommend that as mine have never been brave enough to try.
Hi,just returned,very few bumsters this year military have cleared up sennigambia,A firm no to those you do meet,should be enough HOWEVER!!!!!! cheers maxie :D :D
hello, The legal friendly faces are still their.those who register to help,most of the hassle has stopped,so far as I could see,cheers maxie :D :D
I wish to repeat though, count your money at the exchanges,just in case
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.