Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Astraeus
277 Posts
Am thinking of book for middle of April next year, what is it like then, are places still open?
What is it like in April for holidaying. Is the resort quiet or is this a good time to visit?

Any help greatly appreciated.
My wife & I are off to the Kairaba hotel in December this year & it is our first time to the country. We are only there for a week but we don't want to 'lay by the pool' everyday, we would like to tour around as much as possible during the day.

I have read & looked at Gambia Tourist Support website & their restaurant looks close to the Kairaba. Can you book tours with them at the restaurant & do you have to join to arrange a tour - not that that bothers me in the slightest if the money goes to the locals.

Saw another local Tilly's Tours mentioned how do you contact them & are they near to the Kariba?

I have seen people mention about official tour guides outside the hotel - are they easy to recognize in amongst the bumsters?

Can any of these tours be arranged from the UK nearer the time?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
Thank you for your help. Someone has replied to another topic saying we might be bored to two weeks. Our holidays usually involve a day by the pool relaxing, lunch out, bit more relaxing and then evening out, dinner, wine etc and then back to balcony. THen we like to have a day off on a trip or getting a bus somewhere, shopping in a town (market). Do you think this wil be for us, how many (approx) bars would you say there are in Kololi and is it safe to get a bus or taxi to say Banjul for the day or the other resorts?
Hi

I would highly recommend GTS - we did all our trips with them while we were there in April 04. You do have to be a member to book with them but it doesn't cost very much - if you join whilst still in the UK then they will come and pick you up at the airport, otherwise you can join at the restaurant. We did 4 trips with them - Makasutu, Roots by Road, Rural day out and Abuko nature reserve - all very good. If you want any more info on any of these then let me know. It is easier to organise the trips themselves while you are out there.
GTS
I would also suggest GTS. The hotel you are staying in amazing. I'm going back for the second time this year in November. Do as many trips as you can!! Enjoy
Been to Gambia 5 times in 6 years and Im sad to say I wont be going back. On every trip the bumsters have become more and more aggressive and cunning.
I think Ive given it a fair crak of the whip. :(
I echo SM's comments. If your after a 'pool' only holiday then you will be fine but outside the hotel is a different thing altogether and to manage such a large party will be difficult. The Gambians are THE BEST in charming you and gaining your confidenec so beware.
Toobabs (Gambian for white man) are seen as very rich and the bumsters (conmen/women) want a piece of you before you go home.
Go with an open mind, dont flash the cash and lead with your mind and not your heart and you should have a great time.
Hello, you wont be bored in Gambia unless you wish to be,I have always felt and been safe in bush taxis(local buses) if you intend to use them give the boy (apprentice ) a 5 dalasi tip then they will always stop for you,
To the person who will go if they have funds PM me I have the phone number for a european type guesthouse very good new furniture english or local cooking or do your own cooking on gas cooker,it has tv longe with dvd and a very nice gambian lady owner around 80 - 85 pounds per room sleeps up to 3. 5 mins walk from sennigambia I am going back for 2 trips lasting 8 weeks
cheers maxie
HI ,only stayed january through to early april,its hot everyday take plenty suncream as the summer heat is arriving big time ,so go and enjoy yourself cheers maxie :D ps the resort is resonably quiet/busy depending where you go .lots of people on the beach,all amenities open though
  • Edited by maxie 2006-08-02 14:25:16
We've booked to go to Gambia in May and are flying with Astreaus. I would be very interested in hearing your comments on this airline. Were there delays and were the planes OK.
It's a shame that Proton is changing his view on Gambia. My wife and I have lived in Sierra Leone for two years and are well used to the attitude of the street people becoming more cynical toward the white cash cow. However, we stopped going to Spain for the same reason. The British time share touts eventually destroyed our holidays.
:) think you will like the gambia we stop at the sunset beach hotel and have had no problems.yes the bumsters are a problem but once they know they cant get there own way they back off. on the beach you can actually have some good fun with some of them. we actually went right up river to see the hippos and it was really worth the long trip. it is changing and not always for the good so go now before it does not become africa as we expect it the people are very nice weather exellent but dont forget to take good malaria tablets it can be nasty wear long sleeves at night and long trousers and you will be fine . have a good one
we usually go in april and it is exellent sonetimes we do have a few days of the jelly fish on the beach but we have found that the mosquitos are not to bad at that time of year
Hello Spotty cat ,Astreaus Airlines were fine when I travelled with them,they are resurrection of some defunct airline cannot remember who.The plane I travelled on was the smallest of their fleet and fuel heavy but it got us home with a refuel at Bristol, go enjoy gambia, cheers maxie
HI SOOZE ,I believe that if their is a punter to sell to most places are open, rainy season is the quietest june -september, but european mainlander still go in rainy .belgian has very regular flights in all year cheers maxie
I have searched and found older postings but does anyone have any recent tips from this March/April, any recommendations. We are looking at staying the Sunset Beach Hotel with Thomas Cook. We know what to expect regarding Bumsters but wonder about the resort, can you walk to Kololi if you want more bars and restaurants?

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
If you have stayed at this hotel please Click Here to add you review. Thanks.
HI SOOZE, kololi and KOTU are opposite sides of the the same road depending where you are in kotu,I can travel from kotu/kololi to sennigambia areain a slow 20 mins just enjoying the view and saying hello to locals,bumsters are not as bad up in kololi and kotu. You can always take a taxi or 5 dalasi bush taxi ride from one area to another, thier a re quite a few cafes and bars in kololi/ kotu walk around the areas and discover the places cheers maxie :D enjoy your hols
HI SOOZE, kololi and KOTU are opposite sides of the the same road depending where you are in kotu,I can travel from kotu/kololi to sennigambia areain a slow 20 mins just enjoying the view and saying hello to locals,bumsters are not as bad up in kololi and kotu. You can always take a taxi or 5 dalasi bush taxi ride from one area to another, thier a re quite a few cafes and bars in kololi/ kotu walk around the areas and discover the places cheers maxie :D enjoy your hols
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.