Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi, has anyone been to the Corinthia Atlantic Hotel at Banjul, Gambia who can give me any information or can you recommend a hotel you have stayed at (preferably half board)?
We are thinking of going in November - will be a first time to Gambia for us.
What is the snorkelling like? What is the weather like? Is it worth joining GTS? What 'jabs' do you need? I am pretty sure you need malaria tablets - is that right?
Any information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated - otherwise we might just end at the Red Sea again!!!
:lol: :lol:
Hi bobkat

We were orignally going to stay at the Corinthia Atlantic when we went to the Gambia at Easter 04. After reading up about the hotel, we changed our minds and went to the Senegambia instead, as it appeared that the CA was in a more isolated area. This proved to be true when we got there so we were pleased that we had gone for the Senegambia as it was right in the centre of the touristy area. My review is in the 'Hotel reviews' section of this site.

In answer to your other questions, the weather was hot and sunny every day, it was very much worth joining GTS, the jabs we had were HepA, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio and Yellow fever and we did have to take malaria tablets.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else!
I have just tried to order some Dalasi and have been told there is a restriction on them at the moment. This means they cannot be obtained in the UK.
I have been advised to take US dollars instead.
Anybody heard anything about this?
The Dalassi is a controlled currency and cannot be obtained outside of the Gambia. There is no advantage in taking US dollars and no point in paying commission to do so - just take Sterling and change it in small quantities at your hotel. Inflation is rampant in the Gambia and you will no doubt be offered a much higher black market rate of exchange on the street but stick with the government set daily rate and you won't get caught up in any hassle for illegal currency trading.

SM
:D Hi Caz,

When we were out there in Dec we met up with a woman who had also been advised (by her travel agent) to take US dollars, and she was absolutely fizzing as she was getting a really poor exchange rate everywhere, so she was losing out on money everytime she exchanged. If I were you I'd just stick to English Sterling or Sterling travellers cheques.
Cheers
Scruffyish :)
Hi
We have cancelled the US dollars. Have been to Gambia four times before and have always purchased dalasi in the UK.
Usually only take enough for the first day but will have to take all sterling this time.
Anyway what does it matter?? As long as the sun is shining and the wonderful Gambian people are there :)
Two more sleeps to go - cannot wait!
Really love the place - will always go back as long as we are able :D
has anybody visited this complex recently? myself and partner are going on 13th march for 2weeks.would really like to know is sky sports or bbc available? (fa cup games shown)would like nothing more then to watch a few games with a cool beer in hand!!!
We are going in December and i was wondering if there are ATM machines available? I know I took travellers cheques before but that was 21 yrs ago and thin :?: gs have changed since then!
Dont take american dollars

take travellers checks and pounds

atm machine front street kolloli

been twice never seen it working

you can get dalasia in england depends on time of year you are in there busy part of the holiday season
We were allowed to take up to £100 from the UK in Gambian Dalasi which because of the demonination had to be crammed into a wallet.

The exchange rate in Gambia was very competitive but no-one seems to deal in coins so prices can be expensive because all prices seem to be rounded up to the lowest note amount.

As a tip, when you change money, ask for a lot of smaller notes so that over-charging can be kept to a miniumum and of course they are useful for tips.

Another thing we were told to do was to make sure we always washed our hands after touching the notes!!
hi all
thinkiing of going to the gambia in june.looked at a few reports for gambia in summer,it seems to be a winter destination, just wanted to know if anyone has visited in june and what the weather is like also if there is anyone there at this time of the year.
andy :hmmm
Havent really seen the Gambia in summer brochures.
Spoke to some of the locals about this a few weeks ago and they said it is rainy and humid a lot of the time.
I think some bars and restaurants close aswell.
HI ,MY Brother had business interests in the gambia,summer is HOT HOT VERY HOT, humidity even the locals detest,the water can run 18inches deep in the roads, thats every day or evening, the mossie are lethal in this the breeding season,I would not be able to tolerate it nor one or two other friends,on he other hand ,each to his own, cheers maxie
HI forget the higher black market rate it dont exist,inflation is not so rampant as far as I know,tourist pay rampant prices goods in white area are ten times that of local areas, for the same goods,chicken yassa in sennigambia150 - 175 dalasi,go half mile up the sennigambia road its 45 dalasi or less in kololi, the currency rate is 48 -50to the pound and businesses think if we stupid enough to earn 400 pounds a week they are bright enough to make us part with it,though the locals dont gain,Their is private wealth and much public poverty in GAMBIA,but its still a lovely place. cheers maxie,,,,,,, ps serrekunda has the worst exchange rate I ever come across
HI iF you pm can send you an addy for good rented at 70 pw I found it after 4 months searching .lost the link in a crash though cheers maxie
hi fylde,
a couple of years ago me and my mum rented an apartment in kololi, just a 2min walk from kololi cantre. it was fab and it only cost £130 for 2 weeks!
its called europa, and the people who work there are very hospitable.
i will dig around for the number for you if you like, as im not sure if its on the internet at all.
:D
has anyone stayed at sunset beach in kotu, gambia? if so what is it like? and more importantly, what is the sea like for swimming in... any sharks etc? and do we need injections and other medication? clare.
HI, Europa is now defunct,being refurbished, dont know what as though,its only 2 mins from sennigambia highway,cheers maxie
Clare
We've never stayed at the Sunset Beach but the Kotu area is nice. The beach is nice and sandy but some parts better than others. We always stay at the Palma Rima and the area near there is lovely.
The sea is a bit rough but OK to swim. Never heard of any sharks or anything :roll:
We always keep our injections up to date for Typhoid,Tetanus,Diptheria and Hepatitis(not sure which one!) Your GP will advise. Also malaria tablets are adviseable.
Have you booked yet?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.