Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
The Gambia
277 Posts
Hi Corrinne, can you tell me if you would reccommend the Senegambia for 2 well behaved children aged 13 and 8 please? Am trying to decide between Gambia and Dom Rep for next easter but I have to say that pricewise Gambia is winning hands down!
Thank you
Ellie
Hi Eloisa

I'm not really the best person to comment as we don't have kids, but there were certainly a lot of kids of various ages around when we were staying there last Easter.

The pool was very popular while we were there and I think there was an entertainments team who organised activities during the day. Vultures are fed in the grounds every morning which is quite a sight to see. You can book the normal trips through your rep and the hotel also organises bird watching trips. Even better than that, GTS (mentioned in my earlier post) will help you to organise tailor made trips - we went on a 'Roots' trip, to a crocodile farm, to Makasutu Culture Forest (highly recommended) and on a rural Gambia trip with them - can't praise them highly enough - they even picked us up from the airport. There is also a monkey park not far from the hotel.

The thing that puts a lot of people off the Gambia is the bumsters. As soon as you leave the calm of the hotel they immediately try and start up a conversation with you. We never found them intimidating though - just annoying. Another advantage of doing the GTS trips was that no-one hassled us as we were with locals all the time.

Does that help? If not, feel free to ask any more specific questions.
Hi all :D I would really like to book this hotel for next Easter after having read some great reviews, but am quite concerned about the hassle from "bumsters" in regard to my children. We probably won't leave the hotel much during our stay, this is intended to be a relaxing beach holiday rather than an "experiencing culture" one. Am I going to be comfortable within the hotel grounds or will I be permanantly worried about who may be approaching my kids?
Also, is it really as cheap to eat out over there as I have been told? I think I would prefer to go half board, purely from the not leaving the hotel too much point of view, but you know what kids are like with drinks, snacks and ice creams etc... it all mounts up cost wise and we have been all inclusive for the last couple of years for this reason.
All help is very much appreciated as I need to book soon to be guaranteed rooms next to each other as we need 2 due to my oldest turning 13 before we go.
Thank you
Ellie
Hi again Eloisa

If you haven't already looked at the Holidays Uncovered website then I would suggest that you do as it might help answer some of your questions:

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/

You definitely won't have a problem with Bumsters in the hotel grounds as there are security guards on the gates and patrolling the grounds. There were plenty of children running round by themselves while we were there and we always felt completely safe when we were in the grounds. To be honest, we were really worried about the bumsters before we went but there really didn't actually impact on our holiday much. They were more of an annoyance than a threat.

We stayed at the Senegambia on half board and were very pleased with the food. A lot of people like to go on a B&B basis and try out all the local restaurants but we've always liked half board so didn't see any reason to change. There is a little snack bar by the pool where you can order things like pizzas, drinks and ice creams and they have 'tea-time' everyday at about 4 where you can get coffee, tea and cakes. There was small supermarket just up the road from the hotel where we used to buy drinks and snacks. We ate out in a few of the restaurants at lunchtime - but unfortunately i can't remember how much anything cost - although I'm sure things were cheap compared to the Med.

Hope this helps!
Corrinne, thank you for you reply :D , I have had another look at that site (there sure are a LOT of reviews on this hotel on there aren't there?!) I have pretty much made up my mind to go for this hotel for next easter, I was really torn between this and Dom Rep but this just looks so good I can't say no!
Thanks again for your help, anything else you may think of would be great.
Ellie :D
No problem! I say go for it - we had a fab time! If you have any other questions then just ask - although I'm going to be in Sri Lanka for 2 weeks from Sunday so may take a while to reply.
You've been a star, thank you very much and have a fantastic holiday.
Ellie
Hi all,we were thinking of taking a week in the Gambia in january,could anyone recommend a nice hotel which is fairly close to the beach,bars and restaurants,any help,info would be gratefully appreciated cheers Mark
I travel to Gambia every month. The night is wonderful and can go on all night. Rules apply as they do at home don't take more money out with you than you can afford to loose in one go. You should not need anymore than about £10 - £12. Don't let the ladies walk back on their own they will get swamped by the lads. Lads be careful walking back on you own you may come home married!!!. Gambia is very safe and the Gambian people are very friendly, but remember that they are poor and you on holiday appear to be not. You will spend more money in one day than they will spend in two months. It is better to go around with a Gambian "guide" who will watch over you all the time you are on the town. It will cost you a couple of beers that at the moment will cost you 70p more maybe in the clubs. With Gambia you will either lover it or hate it with a vengance. Most people I have taken over there have loved it. Have a good time!!!. The chemists stock most of the every day drugs you will need. You can buy mossy stuff nearly everywhere. Exchange rate as of today is 48 to the £ and you can change stirling in every bank easily. Don't change to much at a time you don't need to. Children are very safe but the sea can be dangerous at Sennagambia as it has s trong current. NEVER let the kids go out on inflatables the next stop is America. Adults don't go out of your depth unless you are a very strong swimmer. You are in a Muslim country and ladies should not walk off the beach topless and should cover up as if you were walking down the road in your own town. On the beach topless is ok. Thongs are rare but ok. As I said I travel there every month and will happily answer any questions. With all the above said it is a place that dreams are made of...
I am going to Gambia in November and am not sure what to expect. I am going with my mum (nice and relaxing) and we are staying at the Kairaba Hotel.
What is there to do outside of the resort. Iwould like to go exploring, but an not sure how far we can safely go.
Any info will be greatly appreciated. :D
I would not reccomend that two ladies go out and about on their own. You should take a local guide with you. There is lots to do and see away from the resort. Some of the excursions are well worth doing. On would be the Roots tour. This is based on the book and film by Alex Hayley about the africian man taken into slavery and how his family evolved in America. The hotel will arrange this for you if you ask. The Kariba is the best hotel in Gambia it's where all the heads of state stay when there in town. Meals and beer is a bit pricie in there so eat out. On the whole you both should have great time...
Hi i am going to gambia for the first time in november for a week
and staying at the ocean view hotel cape point can anybody tell me anything about the hotel. also i have been told that you can get beautiful
clothes made up at a reasonable price is this right

thanks
Hi Helen and welcome to HT!
Sorry I can't help with your specific questions but have you read our discussion on Gambia at the top of the page? Click here to read. Have a great holiday!
Hi,

We fly out for 2 weeks at the beginning of December and was hoping someone could advise on money matters? Would you suggest we take travellers cheques or cash or a combination of both? Normally when I go on holiday I take cash and then tend to rely on ATM's towards the end, but am aware that I won't be able to do this in the Gambia, so any info or advice from you knowledgeable lot will be much appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance :)
Cheers
Scruffyish
Hi Scruffyish

Whereabouts are you staying? I can give you some advice on the Senegambia area if necessary.
:) Hi Corinne76,

We are staying at the Palma Rima if that's any help....................and I can't wait!! Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers
Scruffyish :)
Hi Scruffyish

The Palma Rima is in Kotu so I can't give you any specific info on that area. We stayed in Kololi and took mainly cash and exchanged it in the bank and also in the exchange bureaux (they looked a bit dodgy but we didn't get ripped off). We always take travellers cheques anyway as a safety net in case our cash gets stolen, plus cards in case we do find a useable cashpoint. You will be able to change money in your hotel but I expect the rate won't be as good as in the banks. If I remember, I'll have a look in our guide book and see if there is any useful info specific to Kotu.
:D Hi Corinne76

Thanks very much for your reply, I think to be on the safe side I will do the same as you and take a combination of cash and travellers cheques and also take the plastic just in case, at least that way I will be leaving all my options open. Do you have any idea how far Kotu is from Kololi? I've looked at a couple of maps but they are all pretty vague and none of them specify distances between resorts.
Thanks again for your help.
Scruffyish
Hi,

Looking at Gambia for Feb 06. Initial thoughts are that it looks like an hidden gem and will be the next big place. I believe the weather is dry and fairly warm in Feb.

I've been Kenya before and loved it - got married there!! I'm looking for a small, quiet relaxed hotel right on the beach, perhaps a room were you can see the sea.

My last few holidays Maldives and Kenya I've stayed in a resort complex / island and not gone out much. Do the hotels have their own food or do you have to venture out into the town to eat?

I'm also looking for a good scuba diving hotel, this is important. Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere.

Thanks,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.