Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:cheers brill gems but it was too short tell us more I love to hear reports it brings it all back to you ...colleen
Thanks Irishcolleen and Katie, at least you two havent fallen asleep :rofl (yet!)
Still awake and looking forward to the rest :cheers
go on Gemma it's like being back when we read it, we also liked Oceanic, lovely Vindaloo :tup
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ok here goes, next part .......

Thursday 13 March. Very seldom do breakfast at the hotel cos its a non event. All hotels are the same I think, same drab breakfasts, so we usually head to the beach shack for a bite to eat.
Today we decided to go to Bono's shack at Candolim Beach. I was very impressed by Bonos on my previous two visits, but after the visit today I wont be going back. Why? Their service is deplorable. Firstly, we waited ages for breakfast. Nice shack dont get me wrong and probably the best loos you will get any Goan beach shack, but thats all it has going for it (my opinion only of course). I also think Bono's lacks any kind of personal feel and the staff are much friendlier at other shacks. Candolim beach is much quieter than Calangute or Baga but they still have the same annoying beach sellers etc. The final straw came when we went up for a snack in the afternoon about 3ish, we didnt get anything to eat til about 4.30pm, IMO thats just not on. Maybe they dont want the custom :que I dont know. Plus we checked the bill (as Irishcolleen had previously warned me about being charged for items they hadnt ordered) and we had a portion of chips and a nan bread on the bill and we hadnt ordered them. They also seemed to have piles and piles of coke and water on the bill. Its very hot and you do drink a lot during the day, so I couldnt argue on that one, but I think we were overcharged there also.
Headed back to the hotel and had a nice cocktail at the hotel bar.
This evening we went to Souymens Kitchen. What can I say about this restaurant? Its exquisite and a menu to die for. At the moment I believe this is the best restaurant in North Goa. 4 of us dining out, we all had three courses each and numerous soft drinks and the bill was 2205 rupees. I never normally have 3 courses, but in this restaurant its a must. Chef Souymens welcomed us back to his eatery again (had already spoken to him in November). I told him i'd given him loads of recommendation on holidaytruths.co.uk (he spotted my blue wrist band), he thanked me profusely, what a humble man he is. He then gave us all a complimentary brandy (not honeybee!!!) and kept thanking me for passing on the word about his restaurant.
After our meal we headed along to Sendra's restaurant and Bar to see our friend Rovin (who used to work in the Oceanic). Rovin is such a lovely, genuine person and is so grateful for any business you give him. We had a nightcap (another cocktail) but he wouldnt let us pay, said it was a welcome/on the house drink. He told us about his theme night the following Tuesday and we reserved a table for the 4 of us, plus Irishcolleen, hubby and their 2 family members and my friend Polly50 and her hubby.
Headed back to the hotel, time for bed.

The following day (Friday 14th March) was quite a quiet day. We had a relaxing day on the beach, but it was so humid today. I love the sun and heat but even I found it very stuffy and there wasnt much of a wind either.
Tonight we went to Kebabs and Curries. First time we have been to this restaurant, but it came highly recommended by many HTers and they werent wrong, had a fantastic meal. Starters and main meals with soft and alcoholic drinks for 4 people cost us 1600 rupees. One of our party had a bit of Delhi Belly all day so we headed back to the hotel for a quite drink at the bar before heading to bed.

More to follow ......... (wake up everyone :rofl :tongue )
Agree Gemma - you have to have 3 courses at Souymens. good report
Thanks for giving the costs of the meals at the restaurants Gemma , it's good to have an idea of how much it will cost to eat and drink there .
x lassi
Butterscotch Creme Brule at Souyemans Mmmmmmmmmmm :tup
Gemma, I am loving this report , was great to meet up in Goa, makes me so sorry I missed souymans (sp) kitchen , will make sure we go at Xmas.
Talking about toilets in shacks , has anyone been to zeebops on Utorda beach, they are the best loos ever.
Looking forward to the rest of your report Gemma, love shirley x :tup
Great report Gemma keeeeeep it coming :cheers
ann
I've been to Zeebop's many times , it has good food and atmosphere , and agree with you shirley , the toilets are a pleasure to visit , decorated with candles and flowers, and an attendant keeping things pristine . But I wouldn't class it as a shack , with the kitchens and toilets being housed in permanent buildings with proper plumbing and sanitation , more a beach restaurant . Great place for a drink at sunset , and Utorda beach isn't that far away from the north .
How about a trip down south Gemma :tup
Thinking about it Lassigirl , you are right , zeebops is more permanent than a shack, great place though, hope to spend some more time there in December.
Yes Lassigirl a short trip down South is definitely on the cards for November. Shirley told me about Utorda Beach and it sounds fab, plus I love a place with spotless loos!!!
Ive been to the South - Palolem Beach and I really enjoyed it. IMO tho I was expecting someplace more idyllic, because I think the postcards make it look better than it actually is. Still had a nice time and would return.
Was hoping to get to Agonda Beach this time but it didnt work out. Ive seen Tightjock's pictures taken at Agonda and it looks like a place I would like.
So if we manage two trips South in November it will be Utorda and Agonda.
Thankyou gemma for telling us about rovins place we had a great night there with you and polly 50 even tho the swordmen were going to chop your head and mine off :rofl my brother and his wife ate 4 times in sendras we went 3 times on the last night he rovin wanted us to have a free drink but we just did not have the time so he said in november we have to come and have that drink bless him ......RE bonos :rofl the best one was 9 pepsi I dont even drink coke but he had them on my bill plus chips we did not have so we never went near him this time .......colleen
Keep it coming Gemma :tup you`re right about chef Soumyen, a very very modest fella, when we called in while passing to book a table he got a bottle of water and made us sit down for a 10 minute breather out of the sun and chatted away like an old friend.
Good shack gemma

Went to the oceanic on firework come barbie night on wednesday with some pals.

Absolutley Cracking night , good crew of lads and some exellent scran. Cant fault the place

Also ejoyed squeeze and shining star and spent equal time between the 3.

Taxi
Hey Taxi

When were you there? We use Squeeze, was there about 3 weeks ago?

Donna
XX
FTV must agree a smashing guy, very down to earth and genuine I think.
I agree Taxi the Oceanic is one of the best shacks at Baga Beach. Ive used Shining Star quite a few times as well, another good shack. Never been to Squeeze tho.
Donna, I think taxi was probably there your second week.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.