Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
8)
Hi there has any one been to the above hotel???? any info would be great all i know at the moment is that its made up of 3 large hotels but any one with any more info would be great thanks very much..........
I know some people have loved it, but for us it was too big (and when we went the third hotel hadn't been built yet) and sometimes service was slow to non existent as staff stuggled to cope with all the people. Having stayed over 10 chain hotels around the Caribbean and Mexico, I still think the Iberostar's and Riu hotels are much better than the Bahia Principe's.

I would say there was a good choice of al a carte restaurants )although apart from the Japenese) the quality wasn't great. I was the only hotel we have stayed at in many years where we wouldn't go back.

Sorry for the honest opinion, but as I say, loads of people love it.
Yeah cheers no probs
we stayed in the riu tequila for xmas just fancied a change,
How far is this hotel from playa del carman /5th avenue and how much would a taxi cost please cynical,

Also would you say there was a better side of the hotel to request staying in thanks again
You'll find reviews HERE :wink:

I've asked if they can be split into reviews for each individual hotel though as I think having them under one heading will become confusing now there are three hotels.

We also have separate listings for the three hotels HERE but only the Coba has reviews posted.

You'll find further info on the hotel website http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-riviera-maya/resort-akumal/

Hope that helps!

Pippy :D
I've now merged three topics on this subject so hopefully the info will be easier to access now! :lol:

We stayed on the Akumal side - but would probably want to be on the Tulum side as it is much nearer to the hacienda (where you go to have drink after 11pm) - from the Akumal you had to get a shuttle bus which only came every 20 mins and sometimes there was such a queue we couldn't get on it.

I think the taxi was £12 from memory, but we got the local bus - 20 peso's each.
We are going here 24th July with direct holidays for 2 weeks. Never been to Mexico before. taking 2 children so hope flight will be ok. Never used My travel first time for every thing!!!

Loads of advise on trip advisor but not much on here!
Any one been recently?
If anyone recently returned would like to post a review please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Me and my girlfriend go to the GBP next Saturday with First Choice, so excited now ! ! !

We don't know which side we are staying in, will the hotel have alloctaed us which side already, and are they contactable to find out - Not too bothered where we are but was just out of interest?

Also do the apartments have hair dryers, irons and ironing boards?

Thanks people
Bet you can't wait! We go in 7 weeks PLEASE let us know how you get on.

Yes there are iron's + board and hair dryer in rooms.
info.tulum@bahia-principe.com is an email address from there web site so try that to find out which hotel you are in. Have a FAB time.
Hi Guys and gals,

we are thinking about going to Gran Bahia Principe in Mexico for our honey moon in august.

My main question is how far away is this place from the centre of Cancun..
My soon to be wife really wanted to go to Cancun but we were unable to find a hotel we liked there.. Is it feasible to pop down to the local clubs in Cancun at night time or is this hotel just to far away?

Any other advice about this area / hotel would be appreciated.

Cheers
J
Hi I think you will be to far away from cancun here it is around 1.30 hours to Cancun. But the resort does have a disco Starts around 10-11pm so I am told. At least by staying here you wouldn't have to get a taxi home!!! :P
hey folks, i am thinking of staying at this hotel complex but im trying to work out which hotel would be more suitable for us! I have read the reviews and am very impressed with what i have read!!!

we want a nice beach love swimming and snorkling. i understand part of the beach is rocky can anybody tell me which part that is? also love the rather large pools so will prob spend lots of time lazing by those! food wise we hope to try most of the restaurants but expect to spend most of our time in the buffett style. ohhhh and we like a drink and boogie.

so based on this info would anybody be so kind in pointing us in the right direction.

many thanks
Hi, we stayed in Coba part in late March/early April - had a really great holiday BUT don't go expecting much of a beach - the sandy part in front of Akumal is pretty narrow and got really crowded when we were there.Also snorkelling in front of this resort is not much cop (other than the virtually tame fish by the jetty in waist deep water!!)
There is good snorkelling to the North and also further South. The best snorkelling experience we had was a day trip to Xel Ha park.
The quietest pool to laze (and drink!) by or in, was the "Premier" pool at Coba - we fortunately had a suite right next to this pool. Music was only background, whereas at some of the other pools it was a bit intrusive.Had to be up early to get sunbeds and shades however!!
All the rooms at Coba are "suites" ie they have a sitting area which makes things a little less crowded.
Foodwise the best a la carte we tried was the Oriental at the Hacienda; the worst a la carte was the Meditteranean with poor service and very overactive air con (it was freezing!!).
Generally the Coba buffet was fine - service at breakfast and lunch was superfast and at least early in the evenings it was OK.
On balance GBP is probably the best all inc with have used in the past 10 years over about 6 or 7 different countries.
Only downsides are the lack of the expected magical Caribbean beach and its distance from the airport - nearly 4 hours from landing to check in!!
thanks for that superb advise! the hotel does look really nice and the reviews all seem pretty positive. we may now be changing our plans and going to dom rep as we have found a great 5* with excellent reviews.

theres a few factors we have decided against mexico for the time of yr.
1. hours of sunshine a friend of mine was there last october and he said they only had about 6 hours started getting dark about 5
2. the distance from the airport (maybe if i found a hotel in cancun i liked it would be different)
3. lack of beach at GBP, im not blaming the hotel for this as i know they were hit pretty damn hard with the wonderful weather!!! and i also know they have done and are trying to improve this situation
im not ruling this hotel out as i would love to visit it next yr, maybe when the sun isnt so shy!!!
We went 24th July -8th August 2007 family of 5. Had the best all inclusive holiday ever. We stayed in the Coba but I think any of the 3 hotels would be fine. Food staff pools etc were great,
we went with My Travel but got a private transfer to the hotel from Can cun Valet got to the hotel in 1 hour 10 minutes. Any questions please ask!
We have been to this resort twice. The first time staying at the Tulum and the second time at the Coba. Both resorts are excellent, but we did prefer the Coba. I liked the food better at the Coba buffet and it was air conditioned. The Tulum buffet is not. The Coba is the newest of the hotels. You have access to all three resorts - The Akumul, Tulum and Coba. They have shuttle transportation that takes you to the various hotels and the shopping centre by the front gate. Don't forget to book the Mexican Fiesta that they have once a week. It is excellent. I would recommend any one of these resorts.
Travelling there next July with my three girls - 15, 10 and 9. The 10 and 9 year olds can usually entertain themselves, but can anyone tell me, is there anything that will keep the 15 year old entertained??? :roll:
hi robbie,we ,that is my wife ,my 15 year old daughter and my self, travel to bahia principe in mexico on wednesday 26th septIwill get back to you when we get back home.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.