Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We've booked with First Choice for July and we're going to the Tulum side. Weren't given the choice. If you look on Trip Advisor there are LOADS of reviews on the hotel.
Bridd
Not been to the mexican ones but visited Bahia Principe San juan Dom Rep last year and had a great time.
Food and drinks were A1 , free non motorized watersports etc and the complex itself was spotless, the only minus point was the entertainment was a bit ropey at times
I stayed at the BP Akumal last May and had a great time. I beleive the accommodation is the same- although obviously I didn't see the Tulum rooms.

I beleive the only facility that Tulum guest can't use is they can't make reservations at the Arlequin restaurant at the Akulmal which is fabulous.

Beach is a bit nicer towards the Akumal side - no rocks in the water and the Akumal has a fabulous beach bar. The only advantage that the Tulum side has is that's is much nearer the hacienda entertainment complex - where you have to go for a drink after 11pm as the hotel bars close then. It's a 200 yard walk from the Tulum but over a 1km from the Akumal so you have to get the shuttle bus which sometimes are overcrowded so you have to wait 15 mins for the next one.

If we went back I would stay at the tulum side just for this reason.

Tracy
Thanks everyone. I hope you have a great time Bridd, let us know what it's like when you get back.
I'd be interested to know too. We've booked to go there next June but the booking just says Akumal & Tulum but the tour operator has requested Tulum. We're going with First Choice too.
hi, we are off in 3 weeks time to the bahia principe tulum in mexico 26/4/06 and would like to know if there are irons and hairdryers definately in the rooms as it would save us packing them. Also do they supply towels for the beach and pool or am i best taking some with us, are they always available? Any other information on this hotel/complex would be greatly appreciated, best resturants etc. also what will the weather be like, any ideas please, and are the mosquitos bad this time of year? thanks. Only been to dom rep before so new experience with mexico. What is the best money to take? traveller s cheques? british cash and change it over there? pesos or dollars, or even both. I really dont know. We are going to be all inclusive so we wont need lots of money but just need to know the best way to take it.
Hi

In case you haven't seen them, we have reviews HERE. If anyone would like to post a review, please do so via that link.

Thanks.

Have a look HERE for currency info.

Pippy :D
thankyou very helpfull. cheers
GREATOREX, I've put a few photos HERE

We went in Dec 2003, you'll love it. Unless it's changed, you can even have free champagne all day (if you're on AI).
everest- thankyou so much for taking the time to share the photos of bahia principe with me, they were excellent and i cant wait even more now!! :lol: It certainly looks a very inviting, clean place

i am driving my husband crazy, but he knows that even after this holiday in 3 weeks 2 days! time i will be straight back on the internet to book our next one. i am just adicted to lovely places and want to see as much of the world as i can. I will post a review once i return from this resort and i am sure that i wont be dissapointed, thanks once again, jeanette
Hi All

I am off to this hotel/resort in September, Would be great if anyone who has been could give me any useful information/review.

Kind Regards
We are going to the Tulum Bahia Principe in October and wondered if anyone knew the the transfer time from Cancun Airport. We don't know whether to take the tour operators coach or to go by taxi.

Any help greatefully received.

Alana
We went by taxi as this was included in our holiday price - took about and hour and 10 mins. I guess a coach transfer would take at least 1.5 hrs - probably more if it had to make additional drop offs.
If anyone would like to post a review for the Bahia Principe Akumal, please do so HERE.

Hotel website is http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-riviera-maya/resort-akumal/

Pippy :D
Thank you for your reply Cynical is my middle name :)
just wondering if anybody has stayed at this resort, we have booked to go sept 07 :D whats it like its our first time in the carribean :)
I have. We went in May '04 - stayed at the Akumel side. It was OK - not our best Caribbean experience and we wouldn't choose to go back, mostly because the resort is just too big. To get to the entertainment complex (if you want to drink past 11pm) we needed to get a bus which only ran every 15 minutes and sometimes they were so crowded you couldn't get on. You won't need to do this though as the Tulum side of the reosrt is only 200 yards from the entertainment centre. The resort now has over 1500 rooms which is far too big for us.

I friend we met on holiday in Cuba last year went there this May and he said the same - the resort is now too big and it was often hard getting served at bars etc. Food is good quality though - fabulous fresh Guacamole every day!
charlie cheeko i can guarantee you will have a wonderfull time, this trully is a fantastic resort and there is so much to do. all three parts of this resort all have there own enterttainment centers, restuarants, bars etc so you dont have to travel from one to the other. the beach is to die for, the food is excellent as is the service. we are both disabled and never had any problems in this resort and we relied on the land trains to take us more or less everywhere around the resort
Our only gripe about the whole holiday was the travelling between resort and airport, a good 1.5 hours or longer depending on traffic. you dont need it after a 10 hour flight but belive me its well worth the travelling!!!!

It was the best holiday i have had in the carribean and it would be hard to beat, so rather than match up beat we decided to upgrade!!!! so our next holiday we have opted for sandals in jamaica at dunns river falls. off there in april and cannot wait.
In the meantime please look forward to your great holiday in Mexico and i can assure you that you will not bne dissapointed. please post and let us know how it goes
Hi
We've booked to go here next June.As we've booked through First Choice for a standard double room we don't know which hotel it will be.Does anyone know if First Choice guests are allocated any particular hotel or is it just down to luck on the day.We're not too bothered which one just curious
thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.